OT - RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: GoPro Hero 3

  • Mark D. Fink
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 17, 2012

      Happened to me once, thinking my French was better than it was. I meant to say "couper les cheveux en quatre" which translates to splitting hairs. What I said was "couper les cheveaux en quatre" which translates into splitting horses... Not quite the visual I was hoping for. :o)

      Mark

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 17, 2012
        ehehehe

        --
        71 9906 9966 vivo
        71 9173 2722 tim

      • Fernando Costa Pinto
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 17, 2012
          holly God ...what an extra "e" can make ...rrsrs..sorry Peter Murphy ...I did not mean to test your testes with those animals ..rsrsr
          I thought that only the  portuguese was a traitress language...

          Fernando
          Salvador Bahia Brasil

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 22, 2012
            Gopro have put the manual online for the Hero3 now
            http://gopro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/HD3_UM_Black_ENG_FINAL_Web.pdf

            One question it doesnt seem to specify is what is the resolution of the burst and continuous still shooting options. It can shoot 30 stills in 1, 2 or 3 seconds in Burst modes. Or 10 fps in Continuous Mode. Presumably the 10fps Continuous has a resolution not as high as the Burst mode. Now Burst mode was in previous Gopros and it worked with the 3d Kit Backs, and the sync is OK with Gopro Wifi Remote firing too I think. Continuous is a new mode and its sync potential is unclear. Regular single frame still sync was not possible before and I dont think it is possible now too.

            If the still mode reads the whole sensor even at these high capture rates then it will be free of rolling shutter. If you try to shoot a panorama with regular Gopro video at very high rotation speeds -- say 3 seconds -- then rolling shutter skew is severe. But synced 30 shot bursts in 3 seconds without rolling shutter sounds like a good prospect for rapid stereo panorama capture. Now of course that means you need good light too otherwise the shutter speed it chooses will be too low but generally the exposure program is skewed to high shutter speeds so it should be ok in good light.

            About rolling shutter for video with the Gopro Hero3. I dont think it has changed. With the 4k video mode they suggest you use a tripod so maybe it is even worse with 4k.

            One of the nice things about the Hero3 is that they make a very thin non-waterproof mount for it with tripod adapter. So it is easier to mount them in custom rigs.

            PeterM
          • Aldo Hoeben
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 24, 2012
              > About rolling shutter for video with the Gopro Hero3. I dont
              > think it has changed. With the 4k video mode they suggest you
              > use a tripod so maybe it is even worse with 4k.

              Since the rolling shutter effect is directly related to how long it takes to read all the lines of the sensor, it is a fair assumption* that the 4k mode, at 15 fps, will suffer a lot more from it than the 720p mode at 120 fps. The faster framerate modes of the Black edition (eg 1080p at 60fps vs 30fps) will almost certainly* help to reduce the rolling shutter effect.

              *: the fps is limited by two factors: sensor readout, and further processing (compressing, writing). Only the sensor readout affects the rolling shutter effect.
            • Aldo Hoeben
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 24, 2012
                > Gopro have put the manual online for the Hero3 now
                > http://gopro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/HD3_UM_Black_ENG_FINAL_Web.pdf

                Interesting but disappointing tidbit about ProTune mode (with logarithmic image curve) and whitebalance control:

                "PROTUNE uses AUTO White Balance and will override any
                non-AUTO White Balance setting."
              • panovrx
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 26, 2012
                  I tested Wifi Remote started timelapse sequences last night and found the sync was excellent for 1500 frames at 1 fps with my Hero2s. Good news for streetview type applications for multiple Gopros. Pity about Protune not having color setting options though as both dynamic range and settable color are critical for good panoramas..

                  PeterM

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 6, 2012
                    Benoit of Stereoscopy News reports good Wifi Remote syncing of Hero 3 videos
                    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/3dtv/message/32130
                    -- if this applies to more than 2 cameras then 15 fps 8000*4000 surround videos with 5 Hero 3s may be possible!

                    PeterM