GoPro Hero 3

  • Aldo Hoeben
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 17, 2012
      Gopro announced the HD Hero 3:
      http://www.gopro.com/hd-hero3-cameras
      Some of the more interesting new features are here:
      http://www.gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition#features

      Smaller, lighter, higher resolution, and Wifi remote control built-in (multiple camera capable).

      Manual white balance is a big step forward. Even though there is no word (yet) on manual exposure control (so that probably isn't available), synced whitebalance combined with the Protune logarithmic curve, is an important thing for camera arrays.

      I'll have 6... Sigh...

      'do
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 17, 2012
        lots of details here
        http://www.gopro.com/product-comparison-hero3-cameras
        they have "Camera Raw" as a color setting ... mmm

        the lens sounds interesting, sharper, less distortion, aspheric element

        the camera certainly looks nicer! and the buttons look more functional

        The body has square corners. Much better! for camera arrays, stereo etc, where you need to align cameras quickly in the field

        Peter

        > Gopro announced the HD Hero 3:
        > http://www.gopro.com/hd-hero3-cameras
        > Some of the more interesting new features are here:
        > http://www.gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition#features
        >
        > Smaller, lighter, higher resolution, and Wifi remote control built-in (multiple camera capable).
        >
        > Manual white balance is a big step forward. Even though there is no word (yet) on manual exposure control (so that probably isn't available), synced whitebalance combined with the Protune logarithmic curve, is an important thing for camera arrays.
        >
        > I'll have 6... Sigh...
        >
        > 'do

      • Johann Victor
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 17, 2012
          Hi All

          Can a person use the Go PRO 3 for 360 pano,s ?

          How to you keep the nodal point in the same point when shooting in circular position and how many shoots do you have to do in a circular movement ?

          Regards.

          Virtual Tours 360 Team.
          http://www.virtualtours360.co.za/
          http://virtualtourphotographer.net

          Cell:+27828552611
          Work:+27396885308
          Home:+27396813543
          Fax: 0862186099

          On 17 October 2012 11:42, panovrx <mediavr@...> wrote:

          lots of details here
          http://www.gopro.com/product-comparison-hero3-cameras
          they have "Camera Raw" as a color setting ... mmm

          the lens sounds interesting, sharper, less distortion, aspheric element

          the camera certainly looks nicer! and the buttons look more functional

          The body has square corners. Much better! for camera arrays, stereo etc, where you need to align cameras quickly in the field

          Peter

          > Gopro announced the HD Hero 3:
          > http://www.gopro.com/hd-hero3-cameras
          > Some of the more interesting new features are here:
          > http://www.gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition#features
          >
          > Smaller, lighter, higher resolution, and Wifi remote control built-in (multiple camera capable).
          >
          > Manual white balance is a big step forward. Even though there is no word (yet) on manual exposure control (so that probably isn't available), synced whitebalance combined with the Protune logarithmic curve, is an important thing for camera arrays.
          >
          > I'll have 6... Sigh...
          >
          > 'do

        • Fernando Costa Pinto
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 17, 2012
            Hi Peter ,

            I am eager to hear about your testes with this new animals  ..keeeeeeppp goiiinngg....

            Many thanks for all things you share ..non stopping . :-))))

            Fernando
            Salvador Bahia Brasil

            --
            71 9906 9966 vivo
            71 9173 2722 tim

          • John Riley
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 17, 2012

              On Oct 17, 2012, at 9:14 AM, Fernando Costa Pinto wrote:

              your testes with this new animals

              Fernado, Em Inglês, "testes" significa testículos 8-)

              John

              John Riley
              4Pi-VR Media Solutions
              http://4pi-vr.com
              johnriley@...
              (h)864-461-3504
              (c)864-431-7075
              (w)864-503-5775
            • Mark D. Fink
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 17, 2012

                Happened to me once, thinking my French was better than it was. I meant to say "couper les cheveux en quatre" which translates to splitting hairs. What I said was "couper les cheveaux en quatre" which translates into splitting horses... Not quite the visual I was hoping for. :o)

                Mark

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 17, 2012
                    holly God ...what an extra "e" can make ...rrsrs..sorry Peter Murphy ...I did not mean to test your testes with those animals ..rsrsr
                    I thought that only the  portuguese was a traitress language...

                    Fernando
                    Salvador Bahia Brasil

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 22, 2012
                      Gopro have put the manual online for the Hero3 now
                      http://gopro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/HD3_UM_Black_ENG_FINAL_Web.pdf

                      One question it doesnt seem to specify is what is the resolution of the burst and continuous still shooting options. It can shoot 30 stills in 1, 2 or 3 seconds in Burst modes. Or 10 fps in Continuous Mode. Presumably the 10fps Continuous has a resolution not as high as the Burst mode. Now Burst mode was in previous Gopros and it worked with the 3d Kit Backs, and the sync is OK with Gopro Wifi Remote firing too I think. Continuous is a new mode and its sync potential is unclear. Regular single frame still sync was not possible before and I dont think it is possible now too.

                      If the still mode reads the whole sensor even at these high capture rates then it will be free of rolling shutter. If you try to shoot a panorama with regular Gopro video at very high rotation speeds -- say 3 seconds -- then rolling shutter skew is severe. But synced 30 shot bursts in 3 seconds without rolling shutter sounds like a good prospect for rapid stereo panorama capture. Now of course that means you need good light too otherwise the shutter speed it chooses will be too low but generally the exposure program is skewed to high shutter speeds so it should be ok in good light.

                      About rolling shutter for video with the Gopro Hero3. I dont think it has changed. With the 4k video mode they suggest you use a tripod so maybe it is even worse with 4k.

                      One of the nice things about the Hero3 is that they make a very thin non-waterproof mount for it with tripod adapter. So it is easier to mount them in custom rigs.

                      PeterM
                    • Aldo Hoeben
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 24, 2012
                        > About rolling shutter for video with the Gopro Hero3. I dont
                        > think it has changed. With the 4k video mode they suggest you
                        > use a tripod so maybe it is even worse with 4k.

                        Since the rolling shutter effect is directly related to how long it takes to read all the lines of the sensor, it is a fair assumption* that the 4k mode, at 15 fps, will suffer a lot more from it than the 720p mode at 120 fps. The faster framerate modes of the Black edition (eg 1080p at 60fps vs 30fps) will almost certainly* help to reduce the rolling shutter effect.

                        *: the fps is limited by two factors: sensor readout, and further processing (compressing, writing). Only the sensor readout affects the rolling shutter effect.
                      • Aldo Hoeben
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 24, 2012
                          > Gopro have put the manual online for the Hero3 now
                          > http://gopro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/HD3_UM_Black_ENG_FINAL_Web.pdf

                          Interesting but disappointing tidbit about ProTune mode (with logarithmic image curve) and whitebalance control:

                          "PROTUNE uses AUTO White Balance and will override any
                          non-AUTO White Balance setting."
                        • panovrx
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 26, 2012
                            I tested Wifi Remote started timelapse sequences last night and found the sync was excellent for 1500 frames at 1 fps with my Hero2s. Good news for streetview type applications for multiple Gopros. Pity about Protune not having color setting options though as both dynamic range and settable color are critical for good panoramas..

                            PeterM

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 6, 2012
                              Benoit of Stereoscopy News reports good Wifi Remote syncing of Hero 3 videos
                              http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/3dtv/message/32130
                              -- if this applies to more than 2 cameras then 15 fps 8000*4000 surround videos with 5 Hero 3s may be possible!

                              PeterM