superfast laptop?

  • Jeffrey Martin
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 15, 2012

      i'm looking for a laptop that I can use to stitch gigapixels while on the go, among other things.

      the obvious choice to me is the retina macbook pro with 16GB ram and 768 SSD.

      i would hate to buy a windows laptop if i can possibly avoid it.

      any advice on if the rMBP will be a good choice? worth $4000?

      if we can not have this devolve into a pc/mac flame war, it would be nice to actually look at the issue.

      i know there are a couple windows laptops with 32GB ram but is 16GB ram enough with a 768GB ssd?

      can additional SSD's on RAID 0 be connected to the thunderbolt port to have decent performance while rendering or using photoshop with large files?

    • Luc Villeneuve
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 15, 2012
        At this level of usage, flame war is 100%, it's about productivity.

        As many RAM as the laptop and OS can accommodate. Somewhat limited to 16GB with some exceptions to 32GB. Because swap files will be used, the fastest HD possible will make the difference. I guess that it means Thunderbolt and I think that this characteristic should be your first one to determine which laptop qualify for your challenge.

        Luc

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 15, 2012
          First sentence should be read...

          At this level of usage, flame war is 100% irrelevant, it's about productivity

          On 15 oct. 2012, at 09:53, Luc Villeneuve wrote:

          At this level of usage, flame war is 100%, it's about productivity.

          As many RAM as the laptop and OS can accommodate. Somewhat limited to 16GB with some exceptions to 32GB. Because swap files will be used, the fastest HD possible will make the difference. I guess that it means Thunderbolt and I think that this characteristic should be your first one to determine which laptop qualify for your challenge.

          Luc

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@...> wrote:

          > i'm looking for a laptop that I can use to stitch gigapixels while on the
          > go, among other things.
          >
          > the obvious choice to me is the retina macbook pro with 16GB ram and 768
          > SSD.
          >
          > i would hate to buy a windows laptop if i can possibly avoid it.
          >
          > any advice on if the rMBP will be a good choice? worth $4000?
          >
          > if we can not have this devolve into a pc/mac flame war, it would be nice
          > to actually look at the issue.
          >
          > i know there are a couple windows laptops with 32GB ram but is 16GB ram
          > enough with a 768GB ssd?
          >
          > can additional SSD's on RAID 0 be connected to the thunderbolt port to have
          > decent performance while rendering or using photoshop with large files?

        • jimbo
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 15, 2012

            Hi Jeff,
            Hope all is well with you sir..  Ok no wars from here..hopefully only constructive things to look at. I run several Macs here in the studio but we also run an equal amount of Dell Precision Workstations.. Truth is I like them both.. To me their just tools not sources of conflict..OK that being said.. I have a few friends that are into high end broadcast quality.. video... They travel a lot and have portable systems that they use and they need to be truly functional.. Both Apple and Dell have machines that do this..  A thing to think about.. the screens on laptops are really just too darn small for real fly in the sky work.. You'll want to consider hauling an additional monitor.. The videographer that's running a Mac has a custom padded case that's pretty slick that holds all his puter kit including the extra screen ..he can actually run two additional screens but only hauls one on trips. The short coming , according to him , is that Thunderbolt add ons are slow coming and their have been some issues cross platform with it. I have heard him say he wishes he had more ram but it does work for him as is. The biggest plus is that it's probably the lightest travel kit you could put together and that is a very important issue along with the performance..  Your MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt should chew what you throw at it.. It would be nice if you could get a bit more ram but the video guy survives with it so I'm sure you can..

            Ok on the other end,  please take a look at a Dell Mobile Precision M6700 Laptop...(or the M4700) This thing is a true workstation not just a laptop.. It, of course, doesn't have thunderbolt but does have sata 3, USB 3 etc , The screen is a little bigger and it's heavier then the MAC  ..On my end I'll say I have always bitched about Windows operating systems.. Win 7 I honestly feel is very solid and I feel comfortable with and finally trust a Windows version.. I can't believe I just said that..LOL...

            As far as potential high end performance the Dell has more to offer if you feel you need it and it'll probably be easier to get neat peripherals .. Also you can realistically service it yourself if you had to.. If you don't need more then the Apple spec  I'd go the MAC way. It's a solid package and it's lighter ... Oh, one more Mac plus... It'll run longer on a battery charge then a comparable Windows machine..

            happy shopping...:-)

            jimbo
            i'm looking for a laptop that I can use to stitch gigapixels while on the go, among other things.

            the obvious choice to me is the retina macbook pro with 16GB ram and 768 SSD.

            i would hate to buy a windows laptop if i can possibly avoid it.

            any advice on if the rMBP will be a good choice? worth $4000?

            if we can not have this devolve into a pc/mac flame war, it would be nice to actually look at the issue.

            i know there are a couple windows laptops with 32GB ram but is 16GB ram enough with a 768GB ssd?

            can additional SSD's on RAID 0 be connected to the thunderbolt port to have decent performance while rendering or using photoshop with large files?

            No virus found in this message.

          • thomas_krueger_eu
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 15, 2012
            • Henrik
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 16, 2012
                Jo has some real beast of some workstation laptops w/ 32gb ram quadro fx graphics cards, dream color display... Basically the best of the best

                Henrik

                Sent from my iPhone

                On 15/10/2012, at 21:15, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@...> wrote:

                i'm looking for a laptop that I can use to stitch gigapixels while on the go, among other things.

                the obvious choice to me is the retina macbook pro with 16GB ram and 768 SSD.

                i would hate to buy a windows laptop if i can possibly avoid it.

                any advice on if the rMBP will be a good choice? worth $4000?

                if we can not have this devolve into a pc/mac flame war, it would be nice to actually look at the issue.

                i know there are a couple windows laptops with 32GB ram but is 16GB ram enough with a 768GB ssd?

                can additional SSD's on RAID 0 be connected to the thunderbolt port to have decent performance while rendering or using photoshop with large files?

              • giant_klobasa_monster
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 16, 2012
                  Yes, once RAM is maxed out, you go to swap, first to the internal SSD and then to the outside. thunderbolt is 10Gb/s bandwidth which is faster than anything else (esata, usbe3, firewire 800)

                  how many SSD's in RAID 0 would it take to give 10Gb/s bandwidth?

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Luc Villeneuve" <luc_villeneuve@...> wrote:

                  > At this level of usage, flame war is 100%, it's about productivity.
                  >
                  > As many RAM as the laptop and OS can accommodate. Somewhat limited to 16GB with some exceptions to 32GB. Because swap files will be used, the fastest HD possible will make the difference. I guess that it means Thunderbolt and I think that this characteristic should be your first one to determine which laptop qualify for your challenge.
                  >
                  > Luc
                  >
                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > i'm looking for a laptop that I can use to stitch gigapixels while on the
                  > > go, among other things.
                  > >
                  > > the obvious choice to me is the retina macbook pro with 16GB ram and 768
                  > > SSD.
                  > >
                  > > i would hate to buy a windows laptop if i can possibly avoid it.
                  > >
                  > > any advice on if the rMBP will be a good choice? worth $4000?
                  > >
                  > > if we can not have this devolve into a pc/mac flame war, it would be nice
                  > > to actually look at the issue.
                  > >
                  > > i know there are a couple windows laptops with 32GB ram but is 16GB ram
                  > > enough with a 768GB ssd?
                  > >
                  > > can additional SSD's on RAID 0 be connected to the thunderbolt port to have
                  > > decent performance while rendering or using photoshop with large files?

                • Henrik Tived
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 16, 2012
                    http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/workstations/8770w_features.html

                    data sheet
                    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_pdfs/HP_Elitebook_8770
                    w_Datasheet.pdf

                    it would be a nice touch if it had thunderbolt, but you can configure this
                    with two SSD drives, and an Express slot with another 32GB memory card, that
                    you can set up as your scratch disk
                    obviously you will configure this with the Dreamcolor display as you are
                    doing images ;-) probably the best Laptop display available.
                    When you then want to choose your SSD's obviously the biggest, but look not
                    for consumer grade, but Enterprise grade SSD's with higher reliability -
                    sure hope you are making lots of money out of this, as it will almost be as
                    expensive as my Workstation at home (PTGui speedtest in 2.46minutes) ;-)

                    you probably won't get it all for under $4k but you will get something that
                    will smoke the "fruit company", sure its not as slick looking nor is it as
                    pretty, but it will get the job done quick!!! It also has a second battery
                    option

                    I do not work for HP, but if you want a workstation in a laptop then this is
                    IT!!! - and I use a Sony Z-series for lightweight powerhouse computing on
                    the road @ 1.1kg and make my calls on an iPhone ;-)

                    Best of luck

                    Henrik
                  • luca vascon
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 25, 2012
                      I'd hate to buy a mac if I only could avoid it...
                      My reply would be Dell PrecisionM 6600, with a triple inner SSD (one for system, two in raid0) and an nvidia QUADRO board, 32gb ram.
                      Otherwise a similar ThinkPad W series.
                      You can put an Hackintosh on it, if you just do not want a linux.

                      --
                      Luca Vascon.

                    • luca vascon