High resolution ROI in panorama

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2012
      I shot full 360X180 panorama first that stitched to 40k pixels wide.
      I then shot a higher resolution detail near the horizon.

      I stitched with PTGui and used Pano2VR to create the tiles and show the panorama.

      The challenge was the inserting the higher resolution images into the panorama.
      The panorama needed to be expanded to 231k pixels wide to match the high
      resolution images. I extracted a partial panorama to work with to lessen the
      stain on my computer.

      Then to make the tiles I first extracted cube faces and worked with them one at
      a time. I did not need the zenith nor nadir, thus I could lessen the memory
      requirements on the computer again.

      After the tiles for these faces were generated I deleted all the tiles that did
      not have any high resolution images detail.

      Generated 64512 tiles kept about 4700, or 7% of the tiles. This would have been
      a lot worse if I tiled the entire panorama instead of extracting the faces with
      high resolution information, and tiling them manually.

      I did this Just to show a single row of portrait images. But I like having the
      extra three levels of zoom without having to create a full panorama with the
      same resolution. It is more of an experiment that a work of art. The more I zoom
      in the more I wish I could zoom further.

      http://photocreations.ca/saintjohn/cruise_ships.html?cruise_ships_4#cruise_ships_4
      I like how the new resolution image appears as you zoom in. Like zooming down on
      Google Earth. I had my 72 stop disc in my pano head. For the high resolution
      shots I was trying to take four pictures for every stop. I did not rotate the
      camera precisely a couple times and have a couple gaps.

      This is my second attempt at shooting something like this in my first attempt I
      shot the high resolution first. then filled in the rest with the lower
      resolution. My irregular grid pattern and lots of blue sky made it very
      difficult to align the image in PTGui. So I reshot in a much more constrained
      manor. Every row having the same number of pictures.

      Processing the panorama into multilevel tiles this way I could process a 60k
      wide cube faces with 16GB of memory. But I don't know how often I want to do
      this. I was constantly waiting for one step to finish before continuing to the
      next. I spent 95% of my time for this project getting the ROI processed.

      Way back in the beginning PTViewer had the ability to display a higher
      resolution RIO. But this is the first time I really used it. Now I want to try
      to add even more detail in locations. I probably can not use a longer lens but I
      could move closer to the subject.

      --
      Jim Watters
      http://photocreations.ca
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 15, 2012
        Wow Jim that's a really nice job!

        I have wished MANY times for an EASY tool to insert high-rez shots into a spherical fisheye pano. There really is no easy way that I know of.

        I remember Aldo showing this off with Spi-V back in 2006 in Bath at the Panotools meeting....

        I wonder if a GUI for Krpano could be made for doing this, as part of a tour builder?