Re: Stitching Sony Camera Panorama Sweep Photos

  • climber24752
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2012
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:

      > On Thu 11-Oct-2012 at 21:54 -0000, climber24752 wrote:
      > > I just bought a new sony camera with a panorama sweep
      > > function.
      >
      > > When I try to load these sweep panoramas into Hugin it asks me for
      > > lens data. I am not sure how to enter this. When I try to stitch
      > > these photos no matter how many control points I add it doesn't
      > > stitch well at all. I either get a thin squished beyond
      > > recognition panorama or a disconnected panorama with each sweep
      > > panorama turned into a circle.
      >
      > Without seeing the pictures I'd guess that you need to set these
      > input panoramic images to 'cylindrical' and keep any 'normal' photos
      > as the default 'rectilinear'. Probably you also need to set the
      > 'angle of view' parameter for these panoramic images to 180° or
      > whatever is your best estimate.
      >
      > --
      > Bruno

      Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and the best I could get it to do was show the photos disconnected. Not sure why it did that. Doing some optimizing just made things worse. That's the last time I take summit sweep panoramas. Next time I will just take 13 normal photos like I used to. I added links to  the 3 photos from one summit below if it helps. I think I might just crop out the panos into overlapping images and stitch those as if they were ordinary images.

    • Bruno Postle
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2012
        On Fri 12-Oct-2012 at 00:49 -0000, climber24752 wrote:
        >> On Thu 11-Oct-2012 at 21:54 -0000, climber24752 wrote:
        >> > I just bought a new sony camera with a panorama sweep
        >> > function.

        >> Without seeing the pictures I'd guess that you need to set these
        >> input panoramic images to 'cylindrical' and keep any 'normal' photos
        >> as the default 'rectilinear'. Probably you also need to set the
        >> 'angle of view' parameter for these panoramic images to 180° or
        >> whatever is your best estimate.

        >Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and the best I could get it to do
        >was show the photos disconnected. Not sure why it did that. Doing some
        >optimizing just made things worse.

        These images can be stitched, here is a quick test:
        https://secure.flickr.com/photos/brunopostle/8087975944

        You basically have two cylindrical photos with angles of view of
        189° and 206° and a 'normal' rectilinear photo. Hugin stitches it
        fine, but you need to assign different 'lenses' to every image first,
        the .pto project is here if you want to play with it:
        http://bugbear.postle.net/~bruno/misc/00231-00233.pto

        Though I'm not very impressed with this 'sweep' function, there are
        lots of nasty artefacts, especially along the bottom edge.

        --
        Bruno