Android tablet with stereo display

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2012
      I love the 3D panoramas that Peter (panovrx) occasionally displays here but have yet to create a successful stereo panorama myself. I was interested in stereo long before I got bitten by the panorama bug, and I see both interests as reflecting my desire to capture the scene before me "as is" i.e., so that I can revisit it and recapture the emotion I felt on first viewing it. I am severely handicapped by having virtually no visual memory, so this is the only way I can revisit scenes from my past. I am now having fun with the Fujifilm 3D W3 stereo camera, although I don't see any way of creating panoramas with it. (Sad smile)

      Although a bit peripheral to this list, I thought some members might be interested in a new tablet just announced by Gadmei and available shortly from Hong Kong. It has an 8" screen with an LCD barrier in front of alternate vertical rows of elements so that it can be used like a lenticular lens display. There is simple three-line code that can be used to switch the barrier on and off, "on" for MPO or separate pairs of stereo images which are then automatically fed to the display as a properly interleaved single image that can be viewed as a stereo image without the need for glasses. "Off" of course, is used for 2D images. Software that is barrier aware does this automatically but it is easy to implement independently.

      The sweet spot from which the stereo effect is best observed is rather narrow, so you can't move or shake your head while viewing without losing the 3D effect, which is excellent, judging from reports of the earlier display using the same technology. I have pre-ordered one and will report my impressions. It is priced at about US$220.

      It struck me that this would be a nice tool for demonstrating 3D images, and would eliminate the problems of synching two separate L&R images in adjacent windows AND avoid dependence on anaglyphs and varicoloured glasses. It also considerably lightens the computing load on applications that are barrier aware, as they don't need to generate interleaved images themselves but can leave it to the firmware. This I see as particularly useful for panoramas, where the image in the display window is continually being updated as the browser pans and zooms.

      I will look up the URLs for the product and the manual display-switching code and post them here if anyone expresses interest.

      The tablet comes with Ice-cream Sandwich, the Android OS v.4.0, and, unlike some Chinese-made tablets, claims to give full access to the Google App Store. We shall see.

      It should be pretty clear that I have no commercial interest in this product and this post is not an ad.

      Roger W.

      Sent from my iPad