Gopro Protune firmware

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2012
      Finally Gopro have released the Protune firmware for Gopro Hero2 cameras. Which makes 360 arrays with Gopros more feasible as it gives more dynamic range and less compression. Also for Iphones at least the control app is released to support better previewing etc for the Wifi back.
      Still there is no (published) way yet to lock the exposures or color balance or frame synchronize accurately more than two cameras -- so 360s will be a compromise.

      PeterM
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 12, 2012
        I bought two Wifi Bacpac kits for my two Gopro cameras yesterday and have been doing some sync tests using both cameras "paired" to a single (wifi) remote control.

        To my surprise the sync is excellent -- the same as for the wired connection provided by the 3d kit.

        There is often a whole frame offset (sometimes as much as 5 frames) between the two videos but when you align the L and R videos timewise to compensate for this the sync then within each frame is excellent. The amount of frame offset varies with different stereo videos (from zero to as many as 5 frames) . I very much suspect this wifi remote syncing will work for more than two cameras -- Gopro say as many as 50 cameras can be paired to a single remote.

        So if you are willing to do a bit of postprocessing I think 360 synced videos are possible with 3 or 4 Gopros fired by the wifi remote. But exposure and color are still automatic from camera to camera.

        PeterM

        > Finally Gopro have released the Protune firmware for Gopro Hero2 cameras. Which makes 360 arrays with Gopros more feasible as it gives more dynamic range and less compression. Also for Iphones at least the control app is released to support better previewing etc for the Wifi back.
        > Still there is no (published) way yet to lock the exposures or color balance or frame synchronize accurately more than two cameras -- so 360s will be a compromise.
        >
        > PeterM

      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 12, 2012
          here is an example of the sync accuracy you can get from the wifi remote (after you have removed the start frame offset)
          http://www.mediavr.com/goprowifisynctest1.jpg (anaglyph)

          PeterM

          > I bought two Wifi Bacpac kits for my two Gopro cameras yesterday and have been doing some sync tests using both cameras "paired" to a single (wifi) remote control.
          >
          > To my surprise the sync is excellent -- the same as for the wired connection provided by the 3d kit.
          >
          > There is often a whole frame offset (sometimes as much as 5 frames) between the two videos but when you align the L and R videos timewise to compensate for this the sync then within each frame is excellent. The amount of frame offset varies with different stereo videos (from zero to as many as 5 frames) . I very much suspect this wifi remote syncing will work for more than two cameras -- Gopro say as many as 50 cameras can be paired to a single remote.
          >
          > So if you are willing to do a bit of postprocessing I think 360 synced videos are possible with 3 or 4 Gopros fired by the wifi remote. But exposure and color are still automatic from camera to camera.
          >
          > PeterM
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <mediavr@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Finally Gopro have released the Protune firmware for Gopro Hero2 cameras. Which makes 360 arrays with Gopros more feasible as it gives more dynamic range and less compression. Also for Iphones at least the control app is released to support better previewing etc for the Wifi back.
          > > Still there is no (published) way yet to lock the exposures or color balance or frame synchronize accurately more than two cameras -- so 360s will be a compromise.
          > >
          > > PeterM

        • Lars O. Grobe
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 12, 2012
            Good to hear that some got their hands on these cameras.. :) Just in
            case you tried it - did you find whether it is possible to get raw data
            from the GoPro? And can the exposure time for stills be set remotely?

            Cheers, Lars.
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 12, 2012
              There is no raw file access but turning on Protune in the current firmware -- with Protune's reduced compression and redistribution of the sensor data curve in the jpg file -- gives much more post-processing flexibility for handling scene contrast and matching camera videos for stereo or panoramic arrays. For maybe more than you wanted to know about the Protune tech see
              http://cineform.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/protune.html

              Manual exposure time is not settable currently either remotely or on the camera.

              PeterM

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 16, 2012
                I notice you can get 190+ degree circle fisheye lenses for Gopros now
                http://ragecams.com/shop/124mm-aspherical-circular-fish-lens-solution-gopro-p-499.html?osCsid=d5ea6f63ad883ff5a043214e658a8cde
                .. they claim 198 degrees
                So you can do spherical videos with 2 Gopros
                .. more resolution with half a dozen regular Gopros though and exposure blending should be better. If you turned a 2 camera rig around and monitored the output from each camera you could probably find an angle where each camera had approximately the same brightness.

                PeterM