RE: [PanoToolsNG] I was reading about Adobe's DNG spec...

  • Paul D. DeRocco
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2012
      > From: Ken Warner
      >
      > ...that is said to include lossy compression capabilities.
      >
      > I wouldn't want to use lossy compression to save a raw image.
      > Is there a way to compress raw images? Seems like there
      > should be some way. LZW can compress tiff -- why not raw?

      Lossless JPEG compression is supported as well as the more common DCT-based
      lossy JPEG compression.

      I don't know why people are so obsessive about lossless compression, though.
      It's possible to do lossy compression lightly enough that no one could ever
      tell what was the the original and what was the copy that went through the
      compression/decompression process.

      --

      Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
      Paul mailto:pderocco@...