Re: I was reading about Adobe's DNG spec...

  • Luc Villeneuve
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2012
      Nikon has a lossless compression for RAW files. I don't know for other manufacturers

      Envoyé de mon iPad
    • Roger D Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2012
        "Is said" by whom, and where? And are they optional capabilities or inherently unavoidable? Optional would be fine but of course no-one in their right mind would use the option.

        Roger W

        Sent from my iPad

        On Oct 8, 2012, at 10:33 AM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

        > ...that is said to include lossy compression capabilities.
        >
        > I wouldn't want to use lossy compression to save a raw image. Is there a way to compress raw images? Seems like there should be some way. LZW can compress tiff -- why not raw?

      • jimbo
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2012
          DNG is based on the Tiff / EP spec.. It's actually a great spec and it is lossy compression but as I said it's based on the Tiff format so if you modify the file you've forever lost the files original status..Raw more specifically Nikons Raw Nef format captures the raw data from your sensor.. but the file includes an instruction set .. This instruction set thru software modifies the characteristics of the original files but you never loose the original capture.. Primarily for these reasons RAW I think is far superior.. Nikon also has RAW compression which is claimed to be loss less ..It is visually pure but not mathmatically pure... Once you have made adjustments to your RAW file  and it's where you want it .. Typically it has to be output to another format to be usable.. DNG , Tiff , JPG etc are all useable.. formats. From that aspect DNG is just fine.. Maybe some day RAW will be directly useable by teh entire industry but today it's not..

          jimbo----- Original Message -----
          Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2012 7:33 PM
          Subject: [PanoToolsNG] I was reading about Adobe's DNG spec...

          ...that is said to include lossy compression capabilities.

          I wouldn't want to use lossy compression to save a raw image. Is there a way to compress raw images? Seems like there should be some way. LZW can compress tiff -- why not raw?

          No virus found in this message.

        • Paul D. DeRocco
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2012
            > From: Ken Warner
            >
            > ...that is said to include lossy compression capabilities.
            >
            > I wouldn't want to use lossy compression to save a raw image.
            > Is there a way to compress raw images? Seems like there
            > should be some way. LZW can compress tiff -- why not raw?

            Lossless JPEG compression is supported as well as the more common DCT-based
            lossy JPEG compression.

            I don't know why people are so obsessive about lossless compression, though.
            It's possible to do lossy compression lightly enough that no one could ever
            tell what was the the original and what was the copy that went through the
            compression/decompression process.

            --

            Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
            Paul mailto:pderocco@...