RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Canon 6D with iOS and Android app

  • Mark D. Fink
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2012
      Here is a link to Canon Europe, which has much more information on the App:

      http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/eos_
      remote.aspx

      Mark

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
        digging deeper, it seems that the 6d takes SD cards, not CF cards. this is bad because SD cards are slower.

        but the worst part is that the 6d is using some broke-ass autofocus points, something that belongs in a toy camera from 5 years ago: 11 point AF system, center point cross-type. I mean, come on. This is dumb :( Even the 7d has cross-type autofocus on all of its AF points. and obviously a ploy to sell more 5d mk3 (which has an up-to-date autofocus system)

        Can't have it all, right?

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

        > While not an upgrade image-wise from my 5D Mk II, the Canon 6D does have
        > some features that I find VERY interesting:
        >

        > Built-in Wi-Fi
        >
        > Built-in GPS (finally!)
        >
        > App for remote control
        >

        > The last one looks very promising:
        >

        > <http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/eos_remo
        > te.aspx>
        >

        > I wonder if you can do bracketing beyond the usual +2,0,-2 range currently
        > available? Can't wait to see what the Magic Lantern folks do with this!
        >

        > Mark

      • Mark Fink
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
          It all depends on what your intended use is. For a sports photographer, this
          is definitely not your camera. For a VR photographer who doesn't really use
          autofocus, but instead uses hyperfocal or even image stacking, then the type
          of autofocus points to me are meaningless.

          How much slower are SD cards vs. CF? I have no experience with SD?

          Mark

          digging deeper, it seems that the 6d takes SD cards, not CF cards. this is
          bad because SD cards are slower.

          but the worst part is that the 6d is using some broke-ass autofocus points,
          something that belongs in a toy camera from 5 years ago: 11 point AF system,
          center point cross-type. I mean, come on. This is dumb :( Even the 7d has
          cross-type autofocus on all of its AF points. and obviously a ploy to sell
          more 5d mk3 (which has an up-to-date autofocus system)

          Can't have it all, right?

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

          > While not an upgrade image-wise from my 5D Mk II, the Canon 6D does have
          > some features that I find VERY interesting:
          >

          > Built-in Wi-Fi
          >
          > Built-in GPS (finally!)
          >
          > App for remote control
          >

          > The last one looks very promising:

          <http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/eos_remo
          > te.aspx>
          >

          > I wonder if you can do bracketing beyond the usual +2,0,-2 range currently
          > available? Can't wait to see what the Magic Lantern folks do with this!
          >

          > Mark

        • giant_klobasa_monster
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
            "Any images which have resolution, larger than S2(1920x1280), will be resized to S2 JPG and transferred to smartphone."

            BOOO BOOOO BOOO

            HISS

            BOOOO

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
              GRIN!

              Again, not a feature that really has any interest to me personally. I'm not
              looking to upload images to my smartphone at full resolution, but the
              ability to control the camera via smartphone, now THAT interests me. I hope
              to be able to spend some quality time with Canon on the 25th at the photo
              expo in NYC and get more information.

              My fallback position on this, if the camera really is too hobbled to be
              useful, is the Promote system:

              <http://www.promotesystems.com/products/Promote-Control.html>

              If I can do all of what it does, but with an Android, (either phone or
              tablet), them I'm leaning heavily towards the 6D.

              On a related note, is there anyone out there using the Magic Lantern
              software on a regular basis? Can it do pretty much everything that the
              Promote or upcoming 6D can? I've only briefly played with it, but found the
              interface, and more importantly, the lack of clear instructions, too murky.
              Maybe I missed the URL with the beginner's guide.

              Mark

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
                Am 08.10.2012 21:45, schrieb Mark Fink:
                > I'm not
                > looking to upload images to my smartphone at full resolution, but the
                > ability to control the camera via smartphone, now THAT interests me

                Did you look at the different Android direct control apps at
                http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control ?
                Go to "Android apps direct USB control"

              • Mark D. Fink
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                  Shame on me - I should have known to look at our own wiki first. Thanks for
                  pointing me there Erik!

                  After reading through the various options, I'm really leaning towards the
                  Helicon software. I have an Acer W500 which works as either a Win7 notebook
                  or tablet, since the keyboard is detachable. That gives me a nice big screen
                  in the field and pretty much everything I was looking for regarding focus
                  stacking and extended exposure bracketing. Really cool that it can combine
                  both together!

                  Mark