Re: Streetview "web app"

  • Aldo Hoeben
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012
      Ah... I was assuming this was common knowledge here.

      Yes, the Maps app pre-iOS 6 had a very nice Google Streetview implementation, though hard to find. But this is no longer available in iOS 6; the button that would lead you to the streetview of a dropped pin now leads you to turn-based navigation.

      There's a third-party app in the appstore (Live Street View, or something like that) that will get you "proper" streetview on iOS 6. And thursday google added streetview to their mobile version (in a way that is almost as well-hidden as the iOS5 app version).

      Anyway, the point of my email was to open a discussion about the fact that nobody seems to notice that the new streetview "webapp" does not transform the panoramic image, or that nobody seems to care.
    • Willy Kaemena

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012
          On 10/05/2012, at 8:06 PM, Hans wrote:
          > This is not about the WEB APP as most of them claim but about Google Maps in browser which I can not view on IOS5 as you are automatically redirected to the Web App.

          Thank you Hans, that makes much more sense of my own experience with my Ipad 2, and I *really* DISLIKE the Google "Web App". I find it clunky, un-intuitive and lacking in most useful features. Perhaps things may improve now? Integration with maps, streetview and the browser is something I find essential these days.

          KathyW.
        • panoramicsdk
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012

            > Ah... I was assuming this was common knowledge here.
            >
            > Yes, the Maps app pre-iOS 6 had a very nice Google Streetview implementation, though hard to find. But this is no longer available in iOS 6; the button that would lead you to the streetview of a dropped pin now leads you to turn-based navigation.
            >
            > There's a third-party app in the appstore (Live Street View, or something like that) that will get you "proper" streetview on iOS 6. And thursday google added streetview to their mobile version (in a way that is almost as well-hidden as the iOS5 app version).
            >
            > Anyway, the point of my email was to open a discussion about the fact that nobody seems to notice that the new streetview "webapp" does not transform the panoramic image, or that nobody seems to care.

            Yes I seen that by checking the Business Photo page which actually shows just a panned cylinder.
            And there is no link to the Map as there is on my Desktop.

            Hans
          • Yazan Sboul
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012

              Yes I noticed that, and the only way I could view it was to copy the link from a streetview on my computer and email it to my mobile. The I can open the link and view a the awful warped content.

              I am guessing they are working on it, streetview is pretty important to google at the moment they just finished shooting in Athens and apart from Germany they will probably continue to pano the world relentlessly - they've got the bug who here can blame them! :)

              To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012

                > Ah... I was assuming this was common knowledge here.
                >
                > Yes, the Maps app pre-iOS 6 had a very nice Google Streetview implementation, though hard to find. But this is no longer available in iOS 6; the button that would lead you to the streetview of a dropped pin now leads you to turn-based navigation.
                >
                > There's a third-party app in the appstore (Live Street View, or something like that) that will get you "proper" streetview on iOS 6. And thursday google added streetview to their mobile version (in a way that is almost as well-hidden as the iOS5 app version).

                Tried it but it is useless as the search function does not work on the map but only takes you to a streetview.