Re: Streetview "web app"

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panoramicsdk" <hans@...> wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Aldo Hoeben" <aldo@> wrote:
      > >
      > > In case you missed it, Google has added streetview to the "mobile" version of google maps, mostly as a reaction to iOS6 no longer offering streetview.
      > >
      > > I find it "interesting" (if not a bit disconcerting) that in none of the reviews of the new feature, there's any mention whatsoever about the fact that the maps are not dewarped; you're basically looking at the equirectangular (mercator?) maps scrolling by, curves and all, like it is 1995. And nobody seems to notice this, or care enough to mention it.
      > >
      > > I understand the reason Google is doing it like this; Streetview panoramas are stored in a (multires) spherical format, so CSS3d tricks aren't practical to implement.
      > >
      > > 'do
      > >

      > What?
      >
      > I have had streetview on iPad Google Maps since I bought my first iPad 1 1/2 years ago.
      >
      > It may be hard to find as you have to drop a pin to activate it.
      >
      > Hans

      Actually I always use my iPad for streetview if I need it because the navigation is so much better.

      Hans
    • Hans
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panoramicsdk" <hans@> wrote:
        > >

        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Aldo Hoeben" <aldo@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > In case you missed it, Google has added streetview to the "mobile" version of google maps, mostly as a reaction to iOS6 no longer offering streetview.
        > > >
        > > > I find it "interesting" (if not a bit disconcerting) that in none of the reviews of the new feature, there's any mention whatsoever about the fact that the maps are not dewarped; you're basically looking at the equirectangular (mercator?) maps scrolling by, curves and all, like it is 1995. And nobody seems to notice this, or care enough to mention it.
        > > >
        > > > I understand the reason Google is doing it like this; Streetview panoramas are stored in a (multires) spherical format, so CSS3d tricks aren't practical to implement.
        > > >
        > > > 'do
        > > >

        > > What?
        > >
        > > I have had streetview on iPad Google Maps since I bought my first iPad 1 1/2 years ago.
        > >
        > > It may be hard to find as you have to drop a pin to activate it.
        > >
        > > Hans
        >

        > Actually I always use my iPad for streetview if I need it because the navigation is so much better.
        >
        > Hans

        Streetview on iPad for Dummies. Sorry Aldo not you of course. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-view-a-location-from-street-level-with-the-.html

        Hans
      • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012
          Umm...
          Isn't that the feature that no longer works with iOS 6?
          My not having upgraded, to be able to know this with certainty.
          DM

          Sent from my iPaid-a lot

          On 05/10/2012, at 17:51, "Hans - hans@..." <+panotoolsng+m8+c36e5eda32.hans#nyberg.com@...> wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <hans@...> wrote:
          >>

          >> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panoramicsdk" <hans@> wrote:

          >>> What?
          >>>
          >>> I have had streetview on iPad Google Maps since I bought my first iPad 1 1/2 years ago.
          >>>
          >>> It may be hard to find as you have to drop a pin to activate it.
          >>>
          >>> Hans
          >>

          >> Actually I always use my iPad for streetview if I need it because the navigation is so much better.
          >>
          >> Hans
          >>

          > Streetview on iPad for Dummies. Sorry Aldo not you of course. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-view-a-location-from-street-level-with-the-.html
          >
          > Hans

        • panoramicsdk
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012
            It looks from this article that they claim that this is a new thing and if I look at the screenshots it is also different than the one I have on iPad. It looks more like the BAD version we have on desktops.
            http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/04/googles-ios-web-app-for-iphone-and-ipad-now-features-street-view/

            The arrows on the street are much different in my Google Maps. More like my own navigation with arrows In KRpano.

            > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panoramicsdk" <hans@> wrote:

            > > > What?
            > > >
            > > > I have had streetview on iPad Google Maps since I bought my first iPad 1 1/2 years ago.
            > > >
            > > > It may be hard to find as you have to drop a pin to activate it.
            > > >
            > > > Hans
            > >

            > > Actually I always use my iPad for streetview if I need it because the navigation is so much better.
            > >
            > > Hans
            > >

            > Streetview on iPad for Dummies. Sorry Aldo not you of course. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-view-a-location-from-street-level-with-the-.html
            >
            > Hans

          • Hans
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012
              After looking into the news about this it is apparent that only half of these Tech guys who writes about this has got it correct.

              This is not about the WEB APP as most of them claim but about Google Maps in browser which I can not view on IOS5 as you are automatically redirected to the Web App.

              Because of the lack of the Google App on IOS6 you can use the Google Maps in Safari or any other browser, and it is apparently here they have added the streetview.

              Hans

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panoramicsdk" <hans@...> wrote:

              > It looks from this article that they claim that this is a new thing and if I look at the screenshots it is also different than the one I have on iPad. It looks more like the BAD version we have on desktops.
              > http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/04/googles-ios-web-app-for-iphone-and-ipad-now-features-street-view/
              >
              > The arrows on the street are much different in my Google Maps. More like my own navigation with arrows In KRpano.
              >
              > Hans

              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <hans@> wrote:

              > > > Actually I always use my iPad for streetview if I need it because the navigation is so much better.
              > > >
              > > > Hans
              > > >

              > > Streetview on iPad for Dummies. Sorry Aldo not you of course. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-view-a-location-from-street-level-with-the-.html
              > >
              > > Hans

            • Aldo Hoeben
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012
                Ah... I was assuming this was common knowledge here.

                Yes, the Maps app pre-iOS 6 had a very nice Google Streetview implementation, though hard to find. But this is no longer available in iOS 6; the button that would lead you to the streetview of a dropped pin now leads you to turn-based navigation.

                There's a third-party app in the appstore (Live Street View, or something like that) that will get you "proper" streetview on iOS 6. And thursday google added streetview to their mobile version (in a way that is almost as well-hidden as the iOS5 app version).

                Anyway, the point of my email was to open a discussion about the fact that nobody seems to notice that the new streetview "webapp" does not transform the panoramic image, or that nobody seems to care.
              • Willy Kaemena

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012
                    On 10/05/2012, at 8:06 PM, Hans wrote:
                    > This is not about the WEB APP as most of them claim but about Google Maps in browser which I can not view on IOS5 as you are automatically redirected to the Web App.

                    Thank you Hans, that makes much more sense of my own experience with my Ipad 2, and I *really* DISLIKE the Google "Web App". I find it clunky, un-intuitive and lacking in most useful features. Perhaps things may improve now? Integration with maps, streetview and the browser is something I find essential these days.

                    KathyW.
                  • panoramicsdk
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012

                      > Ah... I was assuming this was common knowledge here.
                      >
                      > Yes, the Maps app pre-iOS 6 had a very nice Google Streetview implementation, though hard to find. But this is no longer available in iOS 6; the button that would lead you to the streetview of a dropped pin now leads you to turn-based navigation.
                      >
                      > There's a third-party app in the appstore (Live Street View, or something like that) that will get you "proper" streetview on iOS 6. And thursday google added streetview to their mobile version (in a way that is almost as well-hidden as the iOS5 app version).
                      >
                      > Anyway, the point of my email was to open a discussion about the fact that nobody seems to notice that the new streetview "webapp" does not transform the panoramic image, or that nobody seems to care.

                      Yes I seen that by checking the Business Photo page which actually shows just a panned cylinder.
                      And there is no link to the Map as there is on my Desktop.

                      Hans
                    • Yazan Sboul
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012

                        Yes I noticed that, and the only way I could view it was to copy the link from a streetview on my computer and email it to my mobile. The I can open the link and view a the awful warped content.

                        I am guessing they are working on it, streetview is pretty important to google at the moment they just finished shooting in Athens and apart from Germany they will probably continue to pano the world relentlessly - they've got the bug who here can blame them! :)

                        To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012

                          > Ah... I was assuming this was common knowledge here.
                          >
                          > Yes, the Maps app pre-iOS 6 had a very nice Google Streetview implementation, though hard to find. But this is no longer available in iOS 6; the button that would lead you to the streetview of a dropped pin now leads you to turn-based navigation.
                          >
                          > There's a third-party app in the appstore (Live Street View, or something like that) that will get you "proper" streetview on iOS 6. And thursday google added streetview to their mobile version (in a way that is almost as well-hidden as the iOS5 app version).

                          Tried it but it is useless as the search function does not work on the map but only takes you to a streetview.