Re: Canon 6D with iOS and Android app

  • giant_klobasa_monster
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
      wifi? built-in gps! holy shit!!!!!

      :)

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

      > It could be a perfect camera!!!
      >
      > 2012/9/25 Mark D. Fink <markdfink@...>
      >

      > > While not an upgrade image-wise from my 5D Mk II, the Canon 6D does have
      > > some features that I find VERY interesting:****
      > >
      > > ** **
      > >
      > > Built-in Wi-Fi****
      > >
      > > Built-in GPS (finally!)****
      > >
      > > App for remote control****
      > >
      > > ** **
      > >
      > > The last one looks very promising:****
      > >
      > > ** **
      > >
      > > <
      > > http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/eos_remote.aspx
      > > >****
      > >
      > > ** **
      > >
      > > I wonder if you can do bracketing beyond the usual +2,0,-2 range currently
      > > available? Can't wait to see what the Magic Lantern folks do with this!***
      > > *
      > >
      > > ** **
      > >
      > > Mark****
      > >
      > > ** **
      > >
      > > ** **
      > >
      > > ** **
      > >

      > --
      > Luca Vascon.
      > --
      > www.lucavascon.net
      > Questa è la mia mail privata, la guardo di tanto in tanto.
      > Se volete parlarmi di lavoro, contattatemi attraverso i siti qui sotto.
      >
      > www.officinepanottiche.com
      > www.nuovostudio.it

    • texas360dave
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2012
        I had a bit of an issue locating EOS 6D on USA-Canon's website.. finally found it at:

        http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_6d

        Newly designed 20.2 Megapixel Full-Frame CMOS sensor

        Estimated Retail [Body Only] $2,099.†

        † Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. Actual prices are determined by individual dealers and may vary.

        # One-time registration is required on CANON iMAGE GATEWAY.

        * Compatible with iOS version 5.0 or later and Android devices version 2.3/4.0 or later. Data charges may apply.

        ** The EOS Remote app will be available soon. This software enables you to upload images to social network services. Before uploading images, please be aware that image files may contain privacy related information such as people and places. If necessary, please delete such information. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this software.

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "giant_klobasa_monster" <panoramas@...> wrote:

        > wifi? built-in gps! holy shit!!!!!
        >
        > :)

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@> wrote:
        > >
        > > It could be a perfect camera!!!

      • Mark D. Fink
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2012
          Here is a link to Canon Europe, which has much more information on the App:

          http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/eos_
          remote.aspx

          Mark

          ------------------------------------

          --
        • giant_klobasa_monster
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
            digging deeper, it seems that the 6d takes SD cards, not CF cards. this is bad because SD cards are slower.

            but the worst part is that the 6d is using some broke-ass autofocus points, something that belongs in a toy camera from 5 years ago: 11 point AF system, center point cross-type. I mean, come on. This is dumb :( Even the 7d has cross-type autofocus on all of its AF points. and obviously a ploy to sell more 5d mk3 (which has an up-to-date autofocus system)

            Can't have it all, right?

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

            > While not an upgrade image-wise from my 5D Mk II, the Canon 6D does have
            > some features that I find VERY interesting:
            >

            > Built-in Wi-Fi
            >
            > Built-in GPS (finally!)
            >
            > App for remote control
            >

            > The last one looks very promising:
            >

            > <http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/eos_remo
            > te.aspx>
            >

            > I wonder if you can do bracketing beyond the usual +2,0,-2 range currently
            > available? Can't wait to see what the Magic Lantern folks do with this!
            >

            > Mark

          • Mark Fink
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
              It all depends on what your intended use is. For a sports photographer, this
              is definitely not your camera. For a VR photographer who doesn't really use
              autofocus, but instead uses hyperfocal or even image stacking, then the type
              of autofocus points to me are meaningless.

              How much slower are SD cards vs. CF? I have no experience with SD?

              Mark

              digging deeper, it seems that the 6d takes SD cards, not CF cards. this is
              bad because SD cards are slower.

              but the worst part is that the 6d is using some broke-ass autofocus points,
              something that belongs in a toy camera from 5 years ago: 11 point AF system,
              center point cross-type. I mean, come on. This is dumb :( Even the 7d has
              cross-type autofocus on all of its AF points. and obviously a ploy to sell
              more 5d mk3 (which has an up-to-date autofocus system)

              Can't have it all, right?

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

              > While not an upgrade image-wise from my 5D Mk II, the Canon 6D does have
              > some features that I find VERY interesting:
              >

              > Built-in Wi-Fi
              >
              > Built-in GPS (finally!)
              >
              > App for remote control
              >

              > The last one looks very promising:

              <http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/eos_remo
              > te.aspx>
              >

              > I wonder if you can do bracketing beyond the usual +2,0,-2 range currently
              > available? Can't wait to see what the Magic Lantern folks do with this!
              >

              > Mark

            • giant_klobasa_monster
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
                "Any images which have resolution, larger than S2(1920x1280), will be resized to S2 JPG and transferred to smartphone."

                BOOO BOOOO BOOO

                HISS

                BOOOO

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
                  GRIN!

                  Again, not a feature that really has any interest to me personally. I'm not
                  looking to upload images to my smartphone at full resolution, but the
                  ability to control the camera via smartphone, now THAT interests me. I hope
                  to be able to spend some quality time with Canon on the 25th at the photo
                  expo in NYC and get more information.

                  My fallback position on this, if the camera really is too hobbled to be
                  useful, is the Promote system:

                  <http://www.promotesystems.com/products/Promote-Control.html>

                  If I can do all of what it does, but with an Android, (either phone or
                  tablet), them I'm leaning heavily towards the 6D.

                  On a related note, is there anyone out there using the Magic Lantern
                  software on a regular basis? Can it do pretty much everything that the
                  Promote or upcoming 6D can? I've only briefly played with it, but found the
                  interface, and more importantly, the lack of clear instructions, too murky.
                  Maybe I missed the URL with the beginner's guide.

                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
                    Am 08.10.2012 21:45, schrieb Mark Fink:
                    > I'm not
                    > looking to upload images to my smartphone at full resolution, but the
                    > ability to control the camera via smartphone, now THAT interests me

                    Did you look at the different Android direct control apps at
                    http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control ?
                    Go to "Android apps direct USB control"

                  • Mark D. Fink
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                      Shame on me - I should have known to look at our own wiki first. Thanks for
                      pointing me there Erik!

                      After reading through the various options, I'm really leaning towards the
                      Helicon software. I have an Acer W500 which works as either a Win7 notebook
                      or tablet, since the keyboard is detachable. That gives me a nice big screen
                      in the field and pretty much everything I was looking for regarding focus
                      stacking and extended exposure bracketing. Really cool that it can combine
                      both together!

                      Mark