Inclinometer apps for tilt setting

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
      I have been investigating inclinometer apps on my Android Samsung Galaxy Note. There are a bunch of them -- targeted at off-road drivers.
      I was looking for a compact visual tilt display for rapid setting of tilt for gigapan rows. Checking the Android readout against an accurate digital level it matched through -90 to 90. But I havent found an app yet that gives finer than whole degrees readout. So your maximum setting error might be as much as 1 degree even if the tilt sensor is inherently totally accurate. This app seems to have a relatively uncluttered display
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.RollMeOver.RollMeOverTrial&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwibmV0LlJvbGxNZU92ZXIuUm9sbE1lT3ZlclRyaWFsIl0.

      PeterM
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
        I looked a bit harder and found this one (there is also an Iphone version)
        "Clinometer (+bubble level)
        https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plaincode.xclinometer&hl=en

        this app shows readouts to 0.1 degrees and the readings correspond closely
        to my digital level (less than 0.3 degrees offset) which is a testimony to the technology of these sensors

        PeterM

        > I have been investigating inclinometer apps on my Android Samsung Galaxy Note. There are a bunch of them -- targeted at off-road drivers.
        > I was looking for a compact visual tilt display for rapid setting of tilt for gigapan rows. Checking the Android readout against an accurate digital level it matched through -90 to 90. But I havent found an app yet that gives finer than whole degrees readout. So your maximum setting error might be as much as 1 degree even if the tilt sensor is inherently totally accurate. This app seems to have a relatively uncluttered display
        > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.RollMeOver.RollMeOverTrial&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwibmV0LlJvbGxNZU92ZXIuUm9sbE1lT3ZlclRyaWFsIl0.
        >
        > PeterM

      • Bjørn K Nilssen
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
          På Tue, 02 Oct 2012 11:56:01 +0200, skrev panovrx <mediavr@...>:

          > I looked a bit harder and found this one (there is also an Iphone
          > version)
          > "Clinometer (+bubble level)
          > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plaincode.xclinometer&hl=en

          I use an Android app called 'Smart toools', which has several different
          inclinometers and protractors, as well as other tools. Readouts 0.1
          degrees. Well worth its 3$(?) price.

          > this app shows readouts to 0.1 degrees and the readings correspond
          > closely
          > to my digital level (less than 0.3 degrees offset) which is a testimony
          > to the technology of these sensors
          >
          > PeterM
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <mediavr@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I have been investigating inclinometer apps on my Android Samsung
          >> Galaxy Note. There are a bunch of them -- targeted at off-road drivers.
          >> I was looking for a compact visual tilt display for rapid setting of
          >> tilt for gigapan rows. Checking the Android readout against an accurate
          >> digital level it matched through -90 to 90. But I havent found an app
          >> yet that gives finer than whole degrees readout. So your maximum
          >> setting error might be as much as 1 degree even if the tilt sensor is
          >> inherently totally accurate. This app seems to have a relatively
          >> uncluttered display
          >> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.RollMeOver.RollMeOverTrial&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwibmV0LlJvbGxNZU92ZXIuUm9sbE1lT3ZlclRyaWFsIl0.
          >>
          >> PeterM

        • Simon
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
            Fraid it's only iPhone but PanoTool, an iPhone/iPodTouch app I make does have pitch with a large display readout giving 10ths of a degree. The use you want to put it is not what it was originally made for but it has turned out to be surprisingly versatile and could be what you need. http://www.panotool.com
          • giant_klobasa_monster
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012

              > this app shows readouts to 0.1 degrees and the readings correspond closely
              > to my digital level (less than 0.3 degrees offset) which is a testimony to the technology of these sensors

              measuring TILT and ROLL is "easy" for these sensors. measuring YAW is hard. compass is unreliable and gyroscope has "drift" unless it is (very expensively) calibrated.

              give it a couple years....
            • kalpix_photo
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
                Try Clinometer HD which does work on iPad. It has 0.1 degree sensitivity and also has a bubble level.

                Kal