Q-TOP

  • erik_leeman
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30 2:53 AM
      Some of you may own one or more of those wonderful Q-TOP quick release couplings, and hopefully you've all carefully read the manual ; )
      Then you must have seen the warning about the maximum length of the thread that screws into the base. But maybe you were wondering what would go wrong?
      Here's an image that shows what could happen:

      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/8038640555/>

      Don't worry, I didn't actually cut one of those beauties in half.
      The (computer generated) image is based on a second generation Q-TOP that was damaged by screwing it onto a tripod with a 3/8" thread that was too long. Not by me, but it could happen to anyone.

      For those unfamiliar with those brilliant Q-TOPs here's a link for some info:
      <http://www.qtop.eu/33.htm>

      Cheers!

      Erik Leeman

      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/>
      <http://erik-nl.deviantart.com/>
      <http://www.erikleeman.com/>
    • bw19h
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2012
        Erik,
        I doubt that the new generation panopeople visiting this list ever heard of the quality QM from Germany or know that the design has had a second batch of production.
        (for sale at: http://www.fotokonijnenberg.nl/search.html?searchfield=q-top)

        The design can be improved as your CGI shows.
        Thanks for sharing and I hope you can repare mine ;-)
        grtz!

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

        > Some of you may own one or more of those wonderful Q-TOP quick release couplings, and hopefully you've all carefully read the manual ; )
        > Then you must have seen the warning about the maximum length of the thread that screws into the base. But maybe you were wondering what would go wrong?
        > Here's an image that shows what could happen:
        >
        > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/8038640555/>
        >
        > Don't worry, I didn't actually cut one of those beauties in half.
        > The (computer generated) image is based on a second generation Q-TOP that was damaged by screwing it onto a tripod with a 3/8" thread that was too long. Not by me, but it could happen to anyone.
        >
        > For those unfamiliar with those brilliant Q-TOPs here's a link for some info:
        > <http://www.qtop.eu/33.htm>
        >
        > Cheers!
        >
        > Erik Leeman
        >
        > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/>
        > <http://erik-nl.deviantart.com/>
        > <http://www.erikleeman.com/>

      • jrgen_schrader
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2012
          Q-Top is the best and fastest quick release I've ever seen. Unfortunately it's a bit pricey but I use it for all my tripod heads on two tripods.

          Repair of a bent pin is quite easy, the one in my oldest sometimes gets stuck when I tip the tripod over or something similar happens. It can be unmounted and some gentle treatment with a small hammer makes it moving smooth again.

          As a plus for panographers it can even substitute a 12 stop rotator if needed.

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "bw19h" <celsius@...> wrote:

          > Erik,
          > I doubt that the new generation panopeople visiting this list ever heard of the quality QM from Germany or know that the design has had a second batch of production.
          > (for sale at: http://www.fotokonijnenberg.nl/search.html?searchfield=q-top)
          >
          > The design can be improved as your CGI shows.
          > Thanks for sharing and I hope you can repare mine ;-)
          > grtz!
          >

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Some of you may own one or more of those wonderful Q-TOP quick release couplings, and hopefully you've all carefully read the manual ; )
          > > Then you must have seen the warning about the maximum length of the thread that screws into the base. But maybe you were wondering what would go wrong?
          > > Here's an image that shows what could happen:
          > >
          > > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/8038640555/>
          > >
          > > Don't worry, I didn't actually cut one of those beauties in half.
          > > The (computer generated) image is based on a second generation Q-TOP that was damaged by screwing it onto a tripod with a 3/8" thread that was too long. Not by me, but it could happen to anyone.
          > >
          > > For those unfamiliar with those brilliant Q-TOPs here's a link for some info:
          > > <http://www.qtop.eu/33.htm>
          > >
          > > Cheers!
          > >
          > > Erik Leeman
          > >
          > > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/>
          > > <http://erik-nl.deviantart.com/>
          > > <http://www.erikleeman.com/>

        • bw19h
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2012
            Hi Juergen, i wonder if you have series 1 or 2 of the Q-Top.
            With series one the male and female are not in line.
            it series 2 it is.

            The Q-Top I gave Erik Leeman for repair is a RED one.
            One of the 12 refurbished old stock items.
            Marc Karies had 10 of them I guess.
            The female hole in the base is made new and missing some "screw/tread' parts.
            And because of to much room inside I could damage it.

            I made mistakes with 2 of my other (old stock)BLUE Q-Tops but they still work.
            Erik Leeman did make the CGI from my RED one I guess.
            But the RED refurbished unit is not what it should be, Qwise
            Series 2 Blue it is.

            Got a mail from Mr Emmerich (www.qtop.eu) to send it in for free repair.
            Thanks Peter !

            .

            > Q-Top is the best and fastest quick release I've ever seen. Unfortunately it's a bit pricey but I use it for all my tripod heads on two tripods.
            >
            > Repair of a bent pin is quite easy, the one in my oldest sometimes gets stuck when I tip the tripod over or something similar happens. It can be unmounted and some gentle treatment with a small hammer makes it moving smooth again.
            >
            > As a plus for panographers it can even substitute a 12 stop rotator if needed.
            >

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "bw19h" <celsius@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Erik,
            > > I doubt that the new generation panopeople visiting this list ever heard of the quality QM from Germany or know that the design has had a second batch of production.
            > > (for sale at: http://www.fotokonijnenberg.nl/search.html?searchfield=q-top)
            > >
            > > The design can be improved as your CGI shows.
            > > Thanks for sharing and I hope you can repare mine ;-)
            > > grtz!
            > >

            > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Some of you may own one or more of those wonderful Q-TOP quick release couplings, and hopefully you've all carefully read the manual ; )
            > > > Then you must have seen the warning about the maximum length of the thread that screws into the base. But maybe you were wondering what would go wrong?
            > > > Here's an image that shows what could happen:
            > > >
            > > > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/8038640555/>
            > > >
            > > > Don't worry, I didn't actually cut one of those beauties in half.
            > > > The (computer generated) image is based on a second generation Q-TOP that was damaged by screwing it onto a tripod with a 3/8" thread that was too long. Not by me, but it could happen to anyone.
            > > >
            > > > For those unfamiliar with those brilliant Q-TOPs here's a link for some info:
            > > > <http://www.qtop.eu/33.htm>
            > > >
            > > > Cheers!
            > > >
            > > > Erik Leeman
            > > >
            > > > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/>
            > > > <http://erik-nl.deviantart.com/>
            > > > <http://www.erikleeman.com/>

          • jrgen_schrader
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2012
              It's the series 1 I have.
              And that m/f are not in line doesn't matter anyway.