Image Stacks in Photoshop CS3

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 28, 2006
      I just posted a new article on the Wiki about Image Stacking (in general)
      and some specific info on some really cool new related functionality in
      Photoshop CS3 - an addition to Smart Objects called Image Stacks.

      http://wiki.panotools.org/Image_Stacking

      I think the use of Image Stacks with the Median filter is a really
      promising new tool for panoramic photographers, especially those shooting
      in crowds - if you'd like to eliminate the crowds, that is! For the right
      situations it works a charm - it all depends on having enough exposures to
      capture all the non-moving detail in a scene, so that the median filter
      can eliminate all the moving details, so it may fail on outdoors scenes
      where you have some moving detail (trees, clouds) you want to preserve and
      some you want to get rid of (fat tourists in loud clothes mucking up your
      shot!). My tests have all been on indoor scenes with people walking around
      through my shots, and it was a thrill watching those people disappear!

      Anyway, wanted to get this out there for discussion; I've got a few more
      articles in the works related to CS3 that I was hoping to get done before
      the public beta was released but didn't get around to it.
    • tflyfish2002
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 28, 2006
        I have CS3 installed, but the script you mention does not appear in
        the script menu. How did you enable it?

        Bazzer--- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Howard"
        <rogerhoward@...> wrote:

        > I just posted a new article on the Wiki about Image Stacking (in
        general)
        > and some specific info on some really cool new related functionality in
        > Photoshop CS3 - an addition to Smart Objects called Image Stacks.
        >
        > http://wiki.panotools.org/Image_Stacking
        >
        > I think the use of Image Stacks with the Median filter is a really
        > promising new tool for panoramic photographers, especially those
        shooting
        > in crowds - if you'd like to eliminate the crowds, that is! For the
        right
        > situations it works a charm - it all depends on having enough
        exposures to
        > capture all the non-moving detail in a scene, so that the median filter
        > can eliminate all the moving details, so it may fail on outdoors scenes
        > where you have some moving detail (trees, clouds) you want to
        preserve and
        > some you want to get rid of (fat tourists in loud clothes mucking up
        your
        > shot!). My tests have all been on indoor scenes with people walking
        around
        > through my shots, and it was a thrill watching those people disappear!
        >
        > Anyway, wanted to get this out there for discussion; I've got a few more
        > articles in the works related to CS3 that I was hoping to get done
        before
        > the public beta was released but didn't get around to it.

      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "tflyfish2002" <Bazzer@...> wrote:

          > I have CS3 installed, but the script you mention does not appear in
          > the script menu. How did you enable it?

          I don't have the script in the menu either, but you can browse to it at
          c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Presets\Scripts

          Unfortunately, I have another problem after running the script. At the
          instruction: Choose "Layer > Smart Objects > Stack Mode > Median" from
          the menu, the Stack Mode option is greyed out.

          John
        • Andrey Ilyin
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
            > I don't have the script in the menu either, but you can browse to
            it at
            > c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Presets\Scripts

            That's interesting - I can't find script in this location either

            Andrey
          • rogerhoward@rogerroger.org
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
              On Dec 29, 2006, at 1:06 AM, Andrey Ilyin wrote:

              >> I don't have the script in the menu either, but you can browse to
              > it at
              >> c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Presets\Scripts
              >>

              > That's interesting - I can't find script in this location either

              Hmmm, strange. Well I'm running a different beta, but I assumed this
              feature was in the public beta as well. Oops! Will have to figure
              this out before I post more :)
            • tflyfish2002
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                There are some scripts in the plugins folder, but when I loaded the
                Image Stack scripts and selected four tiffs with alpha masks, the
                output from PTGui, CS3 crashed! What beta version are you running?

                Bazzer--- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, rogerhoward@... wrote:

                > On Dec 29, 2006, at 1:06 AM, Andrey Ilyin wrote:
                >

                > >> I don't have the script in the menu either, but you can browse to
                > > it at
                > >> c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Presets\Scripts
                > >>

                > > That's interesting - I can't find script in this location either
                >
                > Hmmm, strange. Well I'm running a different beta, but I assumed this
                > feature was in the public beta as well. Oops! Will have to figure
                > this out before I post more :)

              • Roger Howard
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                  On Fri, December 29, 2006 9:34 am, tflyfish2002 wrote:
                  > There are some scripts in the plugins folder, but when I loaded the
                  > Image Stack scripts and selected four tiffs with alpha masks, the
                  > output from PTGui, CS3 crashed! What beta version are you running?

                  Well I haven't tested with any TIFFs with alpha as that's not relevant to
                  the stacking process I outlined... so maybe that's it?

                  Can you try with some other sample files if I provide them? I'm just
                  curious whether this feature is actually working in the public beta or
                  not, before I go ahead and write more on it.

                  I'm running a build from the private beta which is more recent than what
                  was released to the public, and I'm not supposed to comment on features
                  not present in the Public Beta which is why I want to know... but I can't
                  easily install the Public Beta myself or I would!

                  Thanks,R
                • Roger Howard
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                    On Fri, December 29, 2006 9:57 am, Roger Howard wrote:
                    > On Fri, December 29, 2006 9:34 am, tflyfish2002 wrote:
                    >> There are some scripts in the plugins folder, but when I loaded the
                    >> Image Stack scripts and selected four tiffs with alpha masks, the
                    >> output from PTGui, CS3 crashed! What beta version are you running?
                    >
                    > Well I haven't tested with any TIFFs with alpha as that's not relevant to
                    > the stacking process I outlined... so maybe that's it?

                    I uploaded some sample files to the wiki:

                    http://wiki.panotools.org/Image_Stacking

                    So you can try these and see if it works. Then you know it may just be
                    your source files or something else...

                    Also, note this is an extreme example; in many cases you don't need to
                    shoot nearly as many shots, but it does show how if you're working from a
                    tripod, and really need an unobstructed view, and are willing to take some
                    extra shots, it can be extremely easy to remove moving objects from your
                    frames using only Photoshop.
                  • tflyfish2002
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                      I can only see the thumbnail jpg and not the file for the images, but
                      never mind, I am still trying to get the layer blending to work around
                      the 360 degree mark! I perhaps wrongly assumed that this script was
                      doing much the same thing, now I see from your example it's different.
                      This script could be used prior to stitching if multiple exposures
                      were made of the same scene could it not?

                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                        On Fri, December 29, 2006 11:40 am, tflyfish2002 wrote:
                        > I can only see the thumbnail jpg and not the file for the images, but
                        > never mind, I am still trying to get the layer blending to work around
                        > the 360 degree mark! I perhaps wrongly assumed that this script was
                        > doing much the same thing, now I see from your example it's different.

                        Yes, this is not part of blending at all. This is something new...

                        > This script could be used prior to stitching if multiple exposures
                        > were made of the same scene could it not?

                        That's exactly the point :)

                        In a nutshell, using a Media filter on Image Stacks in CS3 allows a
                        photographer to remove unwanted people, moving cars, and other unwanted
                        moving objects, from their photography. Need to shoot a lobby of an office
                        building on a business day but want it to look empty, yet can't get
                        permission to rope the lobby off even for 10 minutes? Want to shoot a
                        panorama of the abandoned NYC Times Square after the apocalypse and can't
                        afford NYC's daily rate for blocking off the square? Use a tripod? Don't
                        mind shooting a few dozen extra frames if that's what it takes?

                        This came up for me after a discussion about Image Stacks in CS3, where
                        most people were focusing on the technical applications - noise removal
                        primarily. I just got back from a vacation in Mexico where the majority of
                        the panoramas I wanted to shoot were mucked up by tons of tourists. Had I
                        noticed this feature a few weeks earlier I would have brought my tripod
                        and taken the extra shots on at least two occassions to get the panos,
                        minus the tourists!
                      • tflyfish2002
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                          With a time delay between shots, ie time lapse photography, you could
                          indeed shoot a empty Times Square, I have been trying to do this on a
                          local bridge here in Redding. Now, how do I load the script that
                          resides in the plugins folder:)

                          wrote:

                          > On Fri, December 29, 2006 11:40 am, tflyfish2002 wrote:
                          > > I can only see the thumbnail jpg and not the file for the images, but
                          > > never mind, I am still trying to get the layer blending to work around
                          > > the 360 degree mark! I perhaps wrongly assumed that this script was
                          > > doing much the same thing, now I see from your example it's different.
                          >
                          > Yes, this is not part of blending at all. This is something new...
                          >
                          > > This script could be used prior to stitching if multiple exposures
                          > > were made of the same scene could it not?
                          >
                          > That's exactly the point :)
                          >
                          > In a nutshell, using a Media filter on Image Stacks in CS3 allows a
                          > photographer to remove unwanted people, moving cars, and other unwanted
                          > moving objects, from their photography. Need to shoot a lobby of an
                          office
                          > building on a business day but want it to look empty, yet can't get
                          > permission to rope the lobby off even for 10 minutes? Want to shoot a
                          > panorama of the abandoned NYC Times Square after the apocalypse and
                          can't
                          > afford NYC's daily rate for blocking off the square? Use a tripod? Don't
                          > mind shooting a few dozen extra frames if that's what it takes?
                          >
                          > This came up for me after a discussion about Image Stacks in CS3, where
                          > most people were focusing on the technical applications - noise removal
                          > primarily. I just got back from a vacation in Mexico where the
                          majority of
                          > the panoramas I wanted to shoot were mucked up by tons of tourists.
                          Had I
                          > noticed this feature a few weeks earlier I would have brought my tripod
                          > and taken the extra shots on at least two occassions to get the panos,
                          > minus the tourists!

                        • Roger Howard
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                            On Fri, December 29, 2006 1:28 pm, tflyfish2002 wrote:
                            > With a time delay between shots, ie time lapse photography, you could
                            > indeed shoot a empty Times Square, I have been trying to do this on a
                            > local bridge here in Redding.

                            Well that's exactly the point! Well that and the fact that it's now easy
                            to perform the image processing in Photoshop - Adobe always seemed to
                            ignore true stacking for layers, which are a completely different thing.
                            Besides astronomy imaging software I only knew of a few other packages
                            that could do something like this reasonably easy. The reason I'm excited
                            isn't so much that this is groundbreaking, but the fact that we can do it
                            in Photoshop now opens the technique up to a lot more people.

                            Now the actual amount of delay you need, and the number of shots you need,
                            depends on a few factors - the density of moving subjects in the scene,
                            how fast they move, etc... but as you can see with my example of the
                            freeway, even with a ton of cars, I managed to capture more than enough
                            frames in only a few seconds. I wouldn't call it time lapse, per se, as to
                            me that suggests a longer term - in this case we're trying to capture as
                            many frames, as quickly as possible, especially so we can avoid any
                            lighting changes.

                            I'm going to go shoot a full pano this way in an hour...
                          • Andrey Ilyin
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                              Roger,

                              Could you please to upload script file to the Files section?

                              I prefer to shoot panos with 'action', but it would be nice to have a
                              tool like this when necessary.

                              Cheers,
                              Andrey
                            • tflyfish2002
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                                Assuming that you have already downloaded CS3 you will find the
                                scripts in the "Plug-Ins' folder.

                                Bazzer--- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Andrey Ilyin" <andrey@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Roger,
                                >
                                > Could you please to upload script file to the Files section?
                                >
                                > I prefer to shoot panos with 'action', but it would be nice to have a
                                > tool like this when necessary.
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                > Andrey

                              • Andrey Ilyin
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006

                                  > Assuming that you have already downloaded CS3 you will find the
                                  > scripts in the "Plug-Ins' folder.

                                  I was checking there already.
                                  There are no scripts in this folder.
                                • tflyfish2002
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                                    Really sorry, but I was pointing you in the wrong direction. The
                                    Script folder is in the Preset Folder. There are several of them
                                    there, but I don't know what they all do. If you can't find them you
                                    might try doing a search on *.js files in the PhotoshopCS3 folder. It
                                    appears that there is more than one beta version of CS3 out and about,
                                    yours might be earlier than others.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                                      On Dec 29, 2006, at 5:26 PM, tflyfish2002 wrote:

                                      > Really sorry, but I was pointing you in the wrong direction. The
                                      > Script folder is in the Preset Folder. There are several of them
                                      > there, but I don't know what they all do. If you can't find them you
                                      > might try doing a search on *.js files in the PhotoshopCS3 folder. It
                                      > appears that there is more than one beta version of CS3 out and about,
                                      > yours might be earlier than others.

                                      There's only one public beta of CS3 and from what I understand
                                      that'll be the only version until the release some months from now. I
                                      have access to the *private* betas which are updated frequently. So
                                      no, there *aren't* other betas floating around, at least not
                                      legitimately - there's the Public Beta which everyone has access to,
                                      and then the ongoing private builds which will not be available to
                                      the public.

                                      I thought the Image Stacks feature was in the public beta, and am
                                      still hoping someone can confirm for me clearly - if you can contact
                                      me live on AIM or Skype we can figure this out.

                                      Quick question - if you go to the Layer > Smart Objects menu, is
                                      there a "Stack Mode" submenu?

                                      As for the script, I can't distribute it if Adobe isn't already, and
                                      if the functionality isn't *in* the Public Beta then me providing the
                                      script won't do much good anyway.
                                    • tflyfish2002
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                                        Yes, there is a Stack Mode sub menu. I am going to give it a try in
                                        my house very shortly. I am still playing with the layer blending at
                                        the moment!

                                        Baz

                                        -- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, rogerhoward@... wrote:

                                        > On Dec 29, 2006, at 5:26 PM, tflyfish2002 wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Really sorry, but I was pointing you in the wrong direction. The
                                        > > Script folder is in the Preset Folder. There are several of them
                                        > > there, but I don't know what they all do. If you can't find them you
                                        > > might try doing a search on *.js files in the PhotoshopCS3 folder. It
                                        > > appears that there is more than one beta version of CS3 out and about,
                                        > > yours might be earlier than others.
                                        >
                                        > There's only one public beta of CS3 and from what I understand
                                        > that'll be the only version until the release some months from now. I
                                        > have access to the *private* betas which are updated frequently. So
                                        > no, there *aren't* other betas floating around, at least not
                                        > legitimately - there's the Public Beta which everyone has access to,
                                        > and then the ongoing private builds which will not be available to
                                        > the public.
                                        >
                                        > I thought the Image Stacks feature was in the public beta, and am
                                        > still hoping someone can confirm for me clearly - if you can contact
                                        > me live on AIM or Skype we can figure this out.
                                        >
                                        > Quick question - if you go to the Layer > Smart Objects menu, is
                                        > there a "Stack Mode" submenu?
                                        >
                                        > As for the script, I can't distribute it if Adobe isn't already, and
                                        > if the functionality isn't *in* the Public Beta then me providing the
                                        > script won't do much good anyway.

                                      • Jim Watters
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                                          Roger Howard wrote:
                                          > On Fri, December 29, 2006 1:28 pm, tflyfish2002 wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> With a time delay between shots, ie time lapse photography, you could
                                          >> indeed shoot a empty Times Square, I have been trying to do this on a
                                          >> local bridge here in Redding.

                                          This talk made me think of this classic short web film
                                          http://www.405themovie.com/Home.asp
                                          see the making of:
                                          http://www.405themovie.com/makingof04.asp

                                          --
                                          Jim Watters

                                          Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
                                          jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                                          http://photocreations.ca
                                        • robert_harshman
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                                            > Quick question - if you go to the Layer > Smart Objects menu, is
                                            > there a "Stack Mode" submenu?

                                            The script is included with my public beta, seems to work I guess as
                                            it does create a single layer smart object. Can't really tell if it's a
                                            stack or not, but the Layers/SmartObject/Stackmode command is still
                                            grey. :(

                                            Guess it's not in the public beta?

                                            Regards,

                                            Robert Harshman
                                          • Ian
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, rogerhoward@... wrote:

                                              > I thought the Image Stacks feature was in the public beta, and am
                                              > still hoping someone can confirm for me clearly - if you can contact
                                              > me live on AIM or Skype we can figure this out.
                                              >
                                              > Quick question - if you go to the Layer > Smart Objects menu, is
                                              > there a "Stack Mode" submenu?
                                              >
                                              > As for the script, I can't distribute it if Adobe isn't already, and
                                              > if the functionality isn't *in* the Public Beta then me providing the
                                              > script won't do much good anyway.

                                              On the OS X public beta, the path to the file is /Applications/CS3/Adobe Photoshop CS3/
                                              Presets/Scripts/Load Files into Stack.jsx and it works as it should, building a new smart
                                              object from the selected files.

                                              The Stack Mode submenu is there, but is always grayed out, even when the object is
                                              selected in the layers palette, so it looks to me like it's one of the functions that hasn't
                                              been implemented fully in the public beta version. :-(

                                              Anyway, I'm off to bed as it's coming up to 3am here...

                                              Ian
                                            • michel thoby
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Dec 30, 2006

                                                Le 30 déc. 06 à 03:40, Ian a écrit :

                                                > On the OS X public beta, the path to the file is /Applications/CS3/
                                                > Adobe Photoshop CS3/
                                                > Presets/Scripts/Load Files into Stack.jsx and it works as it
                                                > should, building a new smart
                                                > object from the selected files.
                                                >
                                                > The Stack Mode submenu is there, but is always grayed out, even
                                                > when the object is
                                                > selected in the layers palette, so it looks to me like it's one of
                                                > the functions that hasn't
                                                > been implemented fully in the public beta version. :-(
                                                >
                                                > Anyway, I'm off to bed as it's coming up to 3am here...
                                                >
                                                > Ian

                                                I confirm exactly the same observation here on Mac OS X.

                                                A spotlight search for "Median" yields a math filter function
                                                (psmedian) JavaScript that is buried in the esoteric CS3
                                                documentation and apparently only available to joint Matlab/PS CS3
                                                programs users and probably referring to another purpose ( i.e.
                                                median noise);-(

                                                Michel

                                              • pedro_silva58
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Dec 30, 2006
                                                  roger,
                                                  thanx for the heads up! now, i'd like to see something that works
                                                  with bracketed exposures too... (ie, take, say, 5 bracketed exposures
                                                  while people are moving, and get an hdr image with the people removed)
                                                  cheers,
                                                  pedro