OT: Canon EOS 5D Mk2 + 90mm-f/2.0 LEICA-R

  • erik_leeman
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 20, 2012
      Bought a LEICA-R to Canon EOS bayonet adapter yesterday at the PhotoKina, so I could finally try my old Leitz Summicron 90mm on my 5D Mk2. Compared it today to my EF 100mm f/2,8 USM Macro at several apertures at typical portrait distances, and although the Summicron certainly is a good lens its images do not come close to the ones the Canon produces. What a bummer!

      Of course build quality is in two completely different categories;
      that Summicron is MASSIVE! In comparison the Canon lens weighs next to nothing, and it rattles as if it could fall apart at any moment.

      I'll certainly do some more tests, but I don't seriously expect they will take away my initial disappointment.

      I've uploaded a set of two to my Flickr stream:
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/8007091713/in/photostream/>
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/8007099982/in/photostream/>
      No sharpening, no adjustments, I tried to keep them as neutral as possible. Only reduced size (and colour depth).

      Sure wish I had Luka's luck with this.

      Cheers!

      Erik Leeman
    • jrgen_schrader
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 20, 2012
        It would surprise me if one finds a lens that is sharper then the 100/2 which is one that I really love.

        Of course there are the 135/2 and 85/1.2 but they are also a different league.
        And not really so much sharper but have other benefits.

        How is contrast and color rendering of the Leitz?

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:
        > Bought a LEICA-R to Canon EOS bayonet adapter yesterday at the PhotoKina, so I could finally try my old Leitz Summicron 90mm on my 5D Mk2. Compared it today to my EF 100mm f/2,8 USM Macro at several apertures at typical portrait distances, and although the Summicron certainly is a good lens its images do not come close to the ones the Canon produces. What a bummer!
        >
        > Of course build quality is in two completely different categories;
        > that Summicron is MASSIVE! In comparison the Canon lens weighs next to nothing, and it rattles as if it could fall apart at any moment.
        >
        > I'll certainly do some more tests, but I don't seriously expect they will take away my initial disappointment.
        >
        > I've uploaded a set of two to my Flickr stream:
        > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/8007091713/in/photostream/>
        > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/8007099982/in/photostream/>
        > No sharpening, no adjustments, I tried to keep them as neutral as possible. Only reduced size (and colour depth).
        >
        > Sure wish I had Luka's luck with this.
        >
        > Cheers!
        >
        > Erik Leeman
      • bigwade
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 21, 2012
          Sell the Leica lens and try to get a used Canon 90mm TS-E
          You can play with DOF and IQ is like the 100mm macro.
        • erik_leeman
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 21, 2012
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "bigwade" wrote:

            > Sell the Leica lens and try to get a used Canon 90mm TS-E
            > You can play with DOF and IQ is like the 100mm macro.

            You're such a hopeless romantic Frank ;-P

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jürgen_schrader" wrote:

            > It would surprise me if one finds a lens that is sharper then the
            > 100/2 which is one that I really love.
            > Of course there are the 135/2 and 85/1.2 but they are also a
            > different league. And not really so much sharper but have other
            > benefits.
            >
            > How is contrast and color rendering of the Leitz?

            Hi Jürgen,
            I'll upload some of the GretagMacBeth test shots I've made yesterday to my Flickr stream, so you can judge for yourself.
            Of course I cannot show the full-sized 16-bit TIFF's on Flickr, but I have a calibrated EIZO ColorEdge CG243W, and I could barely see the difference in colour between the shots taken with the Leica lens and the EF 100mm Macro.

            I haven't seriously compared contrast side-by-side yet, but there wasn't a difference in contrast that immediately caught my eye yesterday.

            Erik Leeman

            <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/>
            <http://erik-nl.deviantart.com/>
            <http://www.erikleeman.com/>
          • erik_leeman
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 21, 2012
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" wrote:
              > Hi Jürgen,
              > I'll upload some of the GretagMacBeth test shots I've made yesterday
              > to my Flickr stream, so you can judge for yourself.
              > ...snip...

              Here they are:
              <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/8010001542/in/photostream/>
              <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/8010002588/in/photostream/>

              Except for size and colourdepth as they came from the RAW converter, all settings neutral (Canon DPP).

              Erik Leeman