inexpensive options for 180 deg fisheye capturing

  • Lars O. Grobe
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 19, 2012
      Hi all,

      I am currently looking into available option for capturing 180 deg
      circular fisheyes at rather low prices (limit about 350$).

      Basically I find so-called actioncams coming with 170 deg, which would
      be enough, but not providing any advanced features on the camera body.
      Especially taking raw image files and remot-control is typically not
      available. I also have doubts on the optical quality of the very cheap
      products...

      For compact cameras, there are adapters available, converting down to
      f*0.15. This would allow to freely choose the camera for features.
      Again, I have my doubts when it comes to the optical quality especially
      when using these adapter lenses.

      Mirror balls are not an option in this case.

      My requirements:

      At least 170, better 180 deg circular fov.
      Little abberation and vignetting.
      Raw-image data.

      What I do not care too much about:

      The absolute resolution is not that critical.
      Weight, size, handling.

      Where should I start?

      Thanks, cheers, Lars.
    • Hans
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 19, 2012
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Lars O. Grobe" <grobe@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I am currently looking into available option for capturing 180 deg
        > circular fisheyes at rather low prices (limit about 350$).

        You do not say if you have a DSLR available or if you with 350$ mean both camera and lens.
        If you have a 5D or a Nikon fullframe the Peleng is just $300.
        http://www.peleng8.com/peleng-8mm-canon.html

        There is also a nice fisheye converter for the Sony but of course you have to have the Sony.
        http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=VCLECF1

        Hans

        > Basically I find so-called actioncams coming with 170 deg, which would
        > be enough, but not providing any advanced features on the camera body.
        > Especially taking raw image files and remot-control is typically not
        > available. I also have doubts on the optical quality of the very cheap
        > products...
        >
        > For compact cameras, there are adapters available, converting down to
        > f*0.15. This would allow to freely choose the camera for features.
        > Again, I have my doubts when it comes to the optical quality especially
        > when using these adapter lenses.
        >
        > Mirror balls are not an option in this case.
        >
        > My requirements:
        >
        > At least 170, better 180 deg circular fov.
        > Little abberation and vignetting.
        > Raw-image data.
        >
        > What I do not care too much about:
        >
        > The absolute resolution is not that critical.
        > Weight, size, handling.
        >
        > Where should I start?
        >
        > Thanks, cheers, Lars.

      • Hans
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 19, 2012
          Well maybe the Sony is just a Fullframe fisheye.

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Lars O. Grobe" <grobe@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I am currently looking into available option for capturing 180 deg
          > > circular fisheyes at rather low prices (limit about 350$).
          >

          > You do not say if you have a DSLR available or if you with 350$ mean both camera and lens.
          > If you have a 5D or a Nikon fullframe the Peleng is just $300.
          > http://www.peleng8.com/peleng-8mm-canon.html
          >
          > There is also a nice fisheye converter for the Sony but of course you have to have the Sony.
          > http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=VCLECF1
          >
          > Hans
          >

          > > Basically I find so-called actioncams coming with 170 deg, which would
          > > be enough, but not providing any advanced features on the camera body.
          > > Especially taking raw image files and remot-control is typically not
          > > available. I also have doubts on the optical quality of the very cheap
          > > products...
          > >
          > > For compact cameras, there are adapters available, converting down to
          > > f*0.15. This would allow to freely choose the camera for features.
          > > Again, I have my doubts when it comes to the optical quality especially
          > > when using these adapter lenses.
          > >
          > > Mirror balls are not an option in this case.
          > >
          > > My requirements:
          > >
          > > At least 170, better 180 deg circular fov.
          > > Little abberation and vignetting.
          > > Raw-image data.
          > >
          > > What I do not care too much about:
          > >
          > > The absolute resolution is not that critical.
          > > Weight, size, handling.
          > >
          > > Where should I start?
          > >
          > > Thanks, cheers, Lars.

        • Felipe Gonz√°lez
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 19, 2012
            I didn't know there was a Peleng with "focus confirmation". I have a totally manual of those glasses and it's a fun lens to use. Not the best for panos (too much lens flare) but great color response and I still use it for handhelds when I'm on vacation. Mine was about $350 usd some seven years ago, but it was the cheapest option back then.

            El 19/09/2012, a las 16:00, "Hans" <hans@...> escribió:

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Lars O. Grobe" <grobe@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I am currently looking into available option for capturing 180 deg
            > circular fisheyes at rather low prices (limit about 350$).

            You do not say if you have a DSLR available or if you with 350$ mean both camera and lens.
            If you have a 5D or a Nikon fullframe the Peleng is just $300.
            http://www.peleng8.com/peleng-8mm-canon.html

            There is also a nice fisheye converter for the Sony but of course you have to have the Sony.
            http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=VCLECF1

            Hans

            > Basically I find so-called actioncams coming with 170 deg, which would
            > be enough, but not providing any advanced features on the camera body.
            > Especially taking raw image files and remot-control is typically not
            > available. I also have doubts on the optical quality of the very cheap
            > products...
            >
            > For compact cameras, there are adapters available, converting down to
            > f*0.15. This would allow to freely choose the camera for features.
            > Again, I have my doubts when it comes to the optical quality especially
            > when using these adapter lenses.
            >
            > Mirror balls are not an option in this case.
            >
            > My requirements:
            >
            > At least 170, better 180 deg circular fov.
            > Little abberation and vignetting.
            > Raw-image data.
            >
            > What I do not care too much about:
            >
            > The absolute resolution is not that critical.
            > Weight, size, handling.
            >
            > Where should I start?
            >
            > Thanks, cheers, Lars.

          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 19, 2012
              The Sony VCL-ECF1 is a converter for the 16mm lens so you have to have both and together that's about $250. It's not a bad combination but for a few bucks more you can get the new Samyang f2.8 8mm.

              On 9/19/2012 2:00 PM, Hans wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Lars O. Grobe"<grobe@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Hi all,
              >>
              >> I am currently looking into available option for capturing 180 deg
              >> circular fisheyes at rather low prices (limit about 350$).
              >

              > You do not say if you have a DSLR available or if you with 350$ mean both camera and lens.
              > If you have a 5D or a Nikon fullframe the Peleng is just $300.
              > http://www.peleng8.com/peleng-8mm-canon.html
              >
              > There is also a nice fisheye converter for the Sony but of course you have to have the Sony.
              > http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=VCLECF1
              >
              > Hans

            • Lars O. Grobe
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 24, 2012
                Hi all,

                sorry for the late reply.

                Actually, the perfect setup for me would be without any mechanical
                shutter. I do not have the camera body yet.

                Thank you for all the replies!

                Lars.