Aerial panoramas

  • twindak748
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 11, 2012
      Does anyone have some experience in panoramas taken from an aeroplane? There shouldn't be any parallax problems but need good control on airspeed, no turbulence and wind...and hand held, of course. Besides that, I have good experience in taking regular aerial shots.
      Thanks for any suggestions
    • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 11, 2012
        I have a little experience doing panos from a multicopter (it´s the project I´m currently developing). I´m using a multicamera rig. Have you tried asking to the people at airpano.ru?

        Best regards from the subtropical regions of Mexico

        --
        L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
        felipe@...

      • Bostjan Burger
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 11, 2012
          I was doing an aerial project covering the area of the capital of country in 2003. As it was no flight zone so I flew with the motor powered kite (http://www.airban.net/strana_zmajarstvo.htm). I was “cheating” as I used four Nikon Coolpixes CP5000 with Fe-8 lenses, fixed in a cross shaped carrier and 2,5 m long aluminum pole. As it was quite hard to handle a balance of the motor-kite I asked the No. 1 ranked pilot in my area for flights. The flight was with some turbolences and shaking as pilot has some troubles with me carrying the pole below the motor-kite. The flying speed was about 70 km/h and photos were still clear. I have stopped experimenting with aerials as I was threaten that I have no license for aerial photography and I need some permition, and blah, blah… anyway… in mentioned project I have systematically covered the area of the city and made every 15 second a panorama until the CF card was full and needed to return back to the base. It would be much easer today as resolution of cameras and storage are much better… airplane is much faster than kite so I suggest you to use the method of 3-4 cameras. Handheld with one camera is good only for aerials from the helicopter, I suppose...

          :)Bostjan

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 12, 2012
            From an airplane I did one here
            http://schrader-air.de/panorama/aerial/zugspitze

            and here from a much slower vehicle
            http://schrader-air.de/panorama/badwiessee/blimp.html

            Turbulences and wind are little issues when you are flying with +60mp/h anyway. Most airplanes have to move significantly faster to avoid stall.

            And at that speed you will definitely be facing parallax problems unless you are flying over a desert or other flat areas.

            In general a helicopter would be preferable.

            Jürgen

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "twindak748" <novossiltzeff@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone have some experience in panoramas taken from an aeroplane? There shouldn't be any parallax problems but need good control on airspeed, no turbulence and wind...and hand held, of course. Besides that, I have good experience in taking regular aerial shots.
            > Thanks for any suggestions

          • AYRTON
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 12, 2012
              Here comes one of my versions

              The guy at my side is the paying Client. I was working for the Club, where he's the President, and wanted some panoramas for the website

              + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
              http://ayrton360.com
              twitter.com/ayrton360

              "It's not WHAT you shoot. It's the WAY you shoot it."

              On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 8:55 AM, jrgen_schrader <panorama@...> wrote:
              From an airplane I did one here
              http://schrader-air.de/panorama/aerial/zugspitze

              and here from a much slower vehicle
              http://schrader-air.de/panorama/badwiessee/blimp.html

              Turbulences and wind are little issues when you are flying with +60mp/h anyway. Most airplanes have to move significantly faster to avoid stall.

              And at that speed you will definitely be facing parallax problems unless you are flying over a desert or other flat areas.

              In general a helicopter would be preferable.

              Jürgen

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "twindak748" <novossiltzeff@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone have some experience in panoramas taken from an aeroplane? There shouldn't be any parallax problems but need good control on airspeed, no turbulence and wind...and hand held, of course. Besides that, I have good experience in taking regular aerial shots.
              > Thanks for any suggestions

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Roger D Williams
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 12, 2012
                On Sep 13, 2012, at 2:02 AM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

                Here comes one of my versions

                The guy at my side is the paying Client. I was working for the Club, where he's the President, and wanted some panoramas for the website

                Splendid, Ayrton! I envy you. I recall the joy of flying my paraplane despite its incredibly noisy twin E.German chain-saw engines...

                Roger W.
              • AYRTON

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 16, 2012
                    Hi, I have done alot experience in the sky via plane ...

                    http://360bilder.de/html/vr_yak52_row1.htm
                    http://360bilder.de/html/vr_stieglitz1.htm
                    http://360bilder.de/html/vr_yak52_3.htm
                    http://360bilder.de/html/vr_pilatus_p2_1.htm
                    http://360bilder.de/html/vr_ultralite1.htm

                    cheers
                    Bernd

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "twindak748" <novossiltzeff@...> wrote:

                    > Does anyone have some experience in panoramas taken from an aeroplane? There shouldn't be any parallax problems but need good control on airspeed, no turbulence and wind...and hand held, of course. Besides that, I have good experience in taking regular aerial shots.
                    > Thanks for any suggestions

                  • Bostjan Burger
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 16, 2012
                      You are a living legend.

                      :) Bostjan

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 16, 2012
                        Bernd:

                        Fantastic panos. I remember looking at them when you first posted a while ago.  Can you let us in on equipment used and workflow?

                        Thanks,

                        Greg

                        On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:

                        You are a living legend.

                        :) Bostjan

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 17, 2012
                          Those are awesome! If I was ever to learn how to fly it would be for something
                          like the ultralite. Small enough I could store it in my own garage.

                          Jim

                          --
                          Jim Watters
                          http://photocreations.ca