Looking for some CC on my panoramas

  • Gerry H
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 10, 2012
      I've been on this group for a while but just only recently have started doing some panoramas. Any feedback appreciated and feel free to ask questions!!

      Thanks in advance

      Gerard Healy

      http://www.360cities.net/image/knowth-panorama
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 10, 2012

        Good job.

        1.       Your HDR is too compressed. It looks like it was a nice sunny day, but with the hdr compression it appears to be dark and stormy. Over all it’s too dark to reflect the original weather.

        2.       Your nadir looks like it was retouched only partially. It would be fairly quick to also remove the shadow of your lift as well.

        3.       Your zenith has an editable 180 seam.

        4.       Your horizon isn’t level throughout.

        5.       It’s a bit soft overall and probably could take some smart sharpening.

        6.       Your stitches have a large feather. They’d probably look better by reducing the feather size. This leads to a smear for at least one stitch of high parallax or inaccurate control points.

        7.       Subject wise, it’s a good shot. Interesting and unique in perspective.

        Best Regards,

        Sacha Griffin

        http://www.seeit360.com

        http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

        http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

        IM: sachagriffin007@...

        Office: 404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 10, 2012
          Hi Sacha

          I wasn't sure how HDR would be received. I am not a huge fan personally but we don't have stable weather in Ireland. (We can have 4 seasons in 5 minutes!) so the exposures need to be bracketed anyway.
          I'm a novice with PTGUI and need to work on finding out it's features. I will always have problems with level horizons due to the height of the mast I use. I am looking at some way of levelling my pan/tilt head remotely but that's for another day..
          Thanks for the prompt response

          Gerry Healy

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 10, 2012

            Use horizontal control points in Ptgui. If you are shooting a full sphere, which you are.. leveling is merely for convenience.

            There’s nothing with hdr. However, when compressing on a sunny day the default settings often screws up skies because they are bright and supposed to be bright.

            This also happens with white walls and table clothes often leading to the perception that there was a fire and everything is smoke damaged.

            In such cases, you can either try to fix your hdr tonemap settings or mask back in one of the original exposures.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 10, 2012

              I think it is very dramatic, I like the way that HDR can create a different sense of atmosphere in an otherwise rather lack-lustre sky. PTG is great at getting the levels right but you do have to play around with it a little.

              I would be interested in details of your mast, its shadow in the nadir only hints at what you are using.

              Best wishes, Briar.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 10, 2012
                I agree about HDR's ability to create dramatic skies especially in poor lighting conditions. I am using a 26metre mast. The Knowth panorama was at approx 19metres. Camera was D300 and Nikon 10.5mm/f2.8 tethered using Capture Control Pro.