Giant kites -- pole base tech

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2012
      http://www.mediavr.com/festivalofwinds2012/festivalofwinds2012.htm
      Here is a pano from 6m on Bondi Beach on the weekend with large crowd watching a kite festival. For securing the pole I used the leveling tripod base I mentioned before http://www.mediavr.com/levellingbase.jpg -- but in loose sand like this I'd found it wasnt very secure -- so I brought with me 3 detached tripod legs which I had taped to make a tight fit in the short legs of the base and then I stomped the extended legs into the sand. (You see on the short legs there are holes which I use for tent pegs sometimes to secure it in firm soil).
      (5DmkIII@ 40O ISO Canon 8-15mm at 11mm).

      PeterM
    • Henri Smeets
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10, 2012
        Great shot Peter, good representation of the atmosphere!

        Love the group just next to you looking straight into the camera (or so it
        seems)

      • Roger D Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 10, 2012
          Wow, Peter, great panorama! I bet it was a lot of fun checking the seams for amputees, in which you did a fine job, by the way. My eagle eyes only find a couple among all those thousands, although I was too impressed by the panorama to put a lot of effort into finding minor problems.

          I'm glad you allowed us to zoom in as far as you did. It reveals the astonishing level of detail. Almost Gigapan class.

          Roger W.

          Sent from my iPad

          On Sep 10, 2012, at 3:35 PM, "panovrx" <mediavr@...> wrote:

          > http://www.mediavr.com/festivalofwinds2012/festivalofwinds2012.htm
          > Here is a pano from 6m on Bondi Beach on the weekend with large crowd watching a kite festival. For securing the pole I used the leveling tripod base I mentioned before http://www.mediavr.com/levellingbase.jpg -- but in loose sand like this I'd found it wasnt very secure -- so I brought with me 3 detached tripod legs which I had taped to make a tight fit in the short legs of the base and then I stomped the extended legs into the sand. (You see on the short legs there are holes which I use for tent pegs sometimes to secure it in firm soil).
          > (5DmkIII@ 40O ISO Canon 8-15mm at 11mm).
          >
          > PeterM

        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 11, 2012
            With a high pole you often get a more "planetary" looking "little planet"
            http://www.mediavr.com/flyingwhale1.jpg
            ... Keep watching the skies!

            PeterM