Re: HDR pano of interior of church

  • twindak748
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3 6:24 PM
      Its been a couple of weeks now, but I think I am getting somewhere with this church pano with much better rendition of the stained windows. I followed some advice I received including the one on working on the RAW images and then using Bracketeer for each image (5 shots at 2 EV interval). I did that because I have had major control point problems with the darker images of each set, in particular the nadir images and using Bracketeer illuminates that with excellent results. I touched up each of those enfused images individually before stitching them in PTGui pro and here is the result ( I still might have to correct verticals...). Thank you for any comments from this fine group:
      https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89281898/Enfused%20-%20_KN17400%20Panorama.mov

      > Sometimes you need to combine bracketing with variable raw processing within each exposure level. Modern stitching softwares will do a good job of blending changing "virtual exposures" within a constant exposure layer so long as you change the effective EV gradually around the panorama. This art installation of giant syrofoam chains in a dim factory interior was sunlit in parts and very dark elsewhere. It is mainly a single exposure panorama with variable EV raw processing. The very lightest and darkest sections are from separate exposure layers
      > http://www.mediavr.com/chains/chains.htm
      >
      > PeterM
      >
      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "novossiltzeffr" <novossiltzeff@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello to all, this my first post and it refers to HDR which does not seem to call for general approval, after having surfed on this subject through the messages!
      > > But here it goes...
      > > I've jumped into this specialty with reasonable results so far with PTGui pro, a Pentax K5 with a DA 10-17mm FE but I have hit on a problem: an HDR full 360x180 pano of the interior of a very well known church here. The interior is dark - with its full lighting - and the beautiful stained glass windows are still too bright - even on an overcast day - to come out nice and crisp; EV range is close to 10 (hand held meter) and I can't get a good rendition on those windows with various in camera brackets.
      > > Am I fighting a loosing battle here (I'm not willing nor qualified for high end PP!) or does someone have a super duper comment/suggestion?
      > > Thanks a lot from Nova Scotia Canada, and also, thanks for all the great information provided by this group.

    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4 10:13 AM
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "twindak748" <novossiltzeff@...> wrote:

        > Its been a couple of weeks now, but I think I am getting somewhere with this church pano with much better rendition of the stained windows.

        I think the windows are now rendered quite well, though perhaps at the expense of the interior generally, which is rather muddy/murky (I'm not sure of the best adjective. The image isn't terribly sharp, and you need to correct chromatic aberration in the RAW processing. You are right, too, about the need for levelling. It takes less than a minute to correct during stitching so you should do this as a matter of course. But it's easy enough to level the stitched equirectangular image.

        John
      • twindak748
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 8 6:07 PM
          I agree, John. I use ACR 6.7 (CS5) for CA corrections and the problem might come from my Pentax FE DA 10-17mm wchich seems prone to that - as I have noticed? Since this is all part of my learning curve I will start over, as it seems that I may have over corrected the tiff images before loading them in brackteer (as mentioned, I prefer the windows results done that way). I am getting a better feel for this work with the help of your tutorials (well done indeed) on horizon correction!
          Richard