Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: NEX-5R plus Sony bracketing control app

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2012
      On Sep 1, 2012, at 1:00 PM, "panovrx" <mediavr@...> wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:
      >>
      > At the moment I prefer the defaults of SNS-HDR on single-file RAW images over anything I can get (even with more effort) from ACR except for CA and fringe removal. Alas, the same limitation applies to three-shot bracketed HDR results. I'm looking forward to the promised upgrade that will introduce CA and fringe removal and add adjustable ghost-removal options.
      >> Roger W.
      >>

      > I know a lot of people dislike Silkypix Raw processing but the latest version introduced a single shot raw hdr feature which was good enough in itself for me to upgrade. Also its CA correction is very good. But the interface remains brain dead in lots of ways.

      I have to agree about the quirky interface. Also I think in the program's early days the Japanese company that wrote it used a translator who was unfamiliar with the terminology already in use in similar programs. This may be responsible for the rather odd names of parameters and pull-down menu items. This makes the learning curve steeper than it need be. But if Silkypix is all you know I guess that's less of a problem: everyone else will look out of step.

      Years ago I used it for all my RAW development but I became angry over the upgrade policy which in those days was no free minor upgrades and buy again for major upgrades. Doubt if that has changed.

      I remember that noise reduction was particularly good. And yes, even in those days there was good de-fringing that saved many a Peleng shot from obvious purple fringes.

      Roger W
    • Roger D Williams
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2012
        On Sep 1, 2012, at 12:36 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

        > I never use the trick stuff on the NEX. The Dynamic Range Optimization, for example, does extend the DR but it changes the brightness and color balance of each image so trying to use it for a pano sequence is not my favorite thing.

        Yes, although PTgui can work wonders with changing brightness and colour balance, as I have been pleased to find when made that kind of mistake.

        > The control buttons are all programmable so they can be set up to put the obvious controls at your finger tips. When that's done, the interface gets really simple to use. The main thing I don't like is the lack of a focus depth of field indicator and the camera tends to over expose almost a full EV.

        I wouldn't miss a focus depth of field indicator as I have focus locked down at the hyperfocal point, and anyway the NEXes certainly aren't alone in this, and even when a lens DOES have this it is generally unreliable. But over-exposure is a much more serious fault.

        Roger W
      • giant_klobasa_monster
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 9, 2012
          peter, do you have any examples? i'm interested to see this!