Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: NEX-5R plus Sony bracketing control app

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2012
      I never use the trick stuff on the NEX. The Dynamic Range Optimization, for example, does extend the DR but it changes the brightness and color balance of each image so trying to use it for a pano sequence is not my favorite thing.

      The control buttons are all programmable so they can be set up to put the obvious controls at your finger tips. When that's done, the interface gets really simple to use. The main thing I don't like is the lack of a focus depth of field indicator and the camera tends to over expose almost a full EV. I work around those annoyances for every pano.

      On 8/31/2012 7:56 PM, Roger D Williams wrote:
      > On Aug 31, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Ken Warner<kwarner000@...> wrote:
      >
      >> NEX cameras are really good little cameras for the price. Pentax uses Sony sensors as does the Nikon d800.
      >> For the price, there is not much to complain about. Bracketing is useful to some I suppose but I've not felt the
      >> need for bracketing shots when shooting outdoors. A good raw converter like ACR or Lightroom can really pull a lot
      >> out of one exposure.
      >
      > They (NEX) are certainly reasonable value and astonishingly compact. I would enjoy playing with their panorama and stereo scan functions... If only I could stand the user interface.
      >
      > I agree about the ability to use a single shot for most outdoor panoramas. With the advantage you only have to bother with amputees at seams, not the multiple ghosts of bracketed shots. Indoors, of course, where there are windows, bracketed HDR is advisable.
      >
      > At the moment I am comparing bracketed panoramas using all three shots with the same panorama made from the best shot of each triplet. With Tokyo temperatures and humidities in the 90s day after day I don't feel like going out after panoramas, so I have time to play around in front of the computer. At the moment I prefer the defaults of SNS-HDR on single-file RAW images over anything I can get (even with more effort) from ACR except for CA and fringe removal. Alas, the same limitation applies to three-shot bracketed HDR results. I'm looking forward to the promised upgrade that will introduce CA and fringe removal and add adjustable ghost-removal options. If they work as well as the rest of the program, they will make SNS-HDR my natural first choice. I really don't appreciate having to use ACR to remove CA/fringes, write the results to TIFFs, and then run those through SNS-HDR. Also SNS-HDR doesn't do as well with pseudo HDR on single TIFF images as it does on the original
      RAW images (not just a subjective impression--the author confirmed this to me).

      > Roger W.

    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 31, 2012
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

        At the moment I prefer the defaults of SNS-HDR on single-file RAW images over anything I can get (even with more effort) from ACR except for CA and fringe removal. Alas, the same limitation applies to three-shot bracketed HDR results. I'm looking forward to the promised upgrade that will introduce CA and fringe removal and add adjustable ghost-removal options.
        > Roger W.

        I know a lot of people dislike Silkypix Raw processing but the latest version introduced a single shot raw hdr feature which was good enough in itself for me to upgrade. Also its CA correction is very good. But the interface remains brain dead in lots of ways.

        PeterM
      • Roger D Williams
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2012
          On Sep 1, 2012, at 1:00 PM, "panovrx" <mediavr@...> wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:
          >>
          > At the moment I prefer the defaults of SNS-HDR on single-file RAW images over anything I can get (even with more effort) from ACR except for CA and fringe removal. Alas, the same limitation applies to three-shot bracketed HDR results. I'm looking forward to the promised upgrade that will introduce CA and fringe removal and add adjustable ghost-removal options.
          >> Roger W.
          >>

          > I know a lot of people dislike Silkypix Raw processing but the latest version introduced a single shot raw hdr feature which was good enough in itself for me to upgrade. Also its CA correction is very good. But the interface remains brain dead in lots of ways.

          I have to agree about the quirky interface. Also I think in the program's early days the Japanese company that wrote it used a translator who was unfamiliar with the terminology already in use in similar programs. This may be responsible for the rather odd names of parameters and pull-down menu items. This makes the learning curve steeper than it need be. But if Silkypix is all you know I guess that's less of a problem: everyone else will look out of step.

          Years ago I used it for all my RAW development but I became angry over the upgrade policy which in those days was no free minor upgrades and buy again for major upgrades. Doubt if that has changed.

          I remember that noise reduction was particularly good. And yes, even in those days there was good de-fringing that saved many a Peleng shot from obvious purple fringes.

          Roger W
        • Roger D Williams
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2012
            On Sep 1, 2012, at 12:36 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

            > I never use the trick stuff on the NEX. The Dynamic Range Optimization, for example, does extend the DR but it changes the brightness and color balance of each image so trying to use it for a pano sequence is not my favorite thing.

            Yes, although PTgui can work wonders with changing brightness and colour balance, as I have been pleased to find when made that kind of mistake.

            > The control buttons are all programmable so they can be set up to put the obvious controls at your finger tips. When that's done, the interface gets really simple to use. The main thing I don't like is the lack of a focus depth of field indicator and the camera tends to over expose almost a full EV.

            I wouldn't miss a focus depth of field indicator as I have focus locked down at the hyperfocal point, and anyway the NEXes certainly aren't alone in this, and even when a lens DOES have this it is generally unreliable. But over-exposure is a much more serious fault.

            Roger W
          • giant_klobasa_monster
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 9, 2012
              peter, do you have any examples? i'm interested to see this!