Re: PS Help!

    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 30, 2012
      Am 28.08.2012 02:03, schrieb Roger D Williams:
      > But when you are simply sharpening a pencil, a kitchen knife can be
      > better than a Samurai sword!

      I prefer a pencil sharpener for that task, since normal kitchen knifes
      rarely are sharp enough. No, I don't speak of a Hōchō - this is category
      samurai sword...

      > The bottleneck in my workflow is now in SNS-HDR, where I have to
      > process each of the 6+3 shots individually.

      I thought SNS-HDR does batch processing? At least that's what I read
      from a google search...

    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 30, 2012

        I guess you haven’t seen this then….

        How to Sharpen a Pencil

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spMaP-_Cq_8

        -sacha

        Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Re: PS Help!

        Am 28.08.2012 02:03, schrieb Roger D Williams:

        > But when you are simply sharpening a pencil, a kitchen knife can be
        > better than a Samurai sword!

        I prefer a pencil sharpener for that task, since normal kitchen knifes
        rarely are sharp enough. No, I don't speak of a Hōchō - this is category
        samurai sword...

        > The bottleneck in my workflow is now in SNS-HDR, where I have to
        > process each of the 6+3 shots individually.

        I thought SNS-HDR does batch processing? At least that's what I read
        from a google search...

      • Rick Drew
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 30, 2012

          Ha! Wow. Rube Goldberg would be proud!

          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 30, 2012
            Am 30.08.2012 23:04, schrieb Sacha Griffin:
            > I guess you haven’t seen this then….
            >
            > How to Sharpen a Pencil

            Well, the main purpose of samurai swords was to kill people. Kitchen
            knifes are not so good for this, although it is possible. But actually
            this artisan pencil sharpener proves my words true: It's always better
            to use high quality tools if you want good results.

          • John Riley
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 30, 2012

              On Aug 30, 2012, at 5:04 PM, Sacha Griffin wrote:

              I guess you haven’t seen this then….

              How to Sharpen a Pencil

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spMaP-_Cq_8

              -sacha

              Somehow, that really appeals to me. And the Palomino Blackwing pencils, ooohhh!

              John Riley
              4Pi-VR Media Solutions
              http://4pi-vr.com
              johnriley@...
              (h)864-461-3504
              (c)864-431-7075
              (w)864-503-5775
            • Roger D Williams
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 30, 2012
                On Aug 31, 2012, at 6:00 AM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

                > Am 28.08.2012 02:03, schrieb Roger D Williams:
                >> But when you are simply sharpening a pencil, a kitchen knife can be
                >> better than a Samurai sword!
                >
                > I prefer a pencil sharpener for that task, since normal kitchen knifes
                > rarely are sharp enough. No, I don't speak of a Hōchō - this is category
                > samurai sword...

                Pencil sharpener > kitchen knife > Samurai sword! (grin)

                >> The bottleneck in my workflow is now in SNS-HDR, where I have to
                >> process each of the 6+3 shots individually.
                >
                > I thought SNS-HDR does batch processing? At least that's what I read
                > from a google search...

                The Pro version does (85 euros) but my Home version (30 euros) doesn't, nor is it supposed to be used for commercial work. I am thinking of upgrading but will probably wait until the new version, with CA and fringe removal, and selective preprocessing to eliminate ghosts, is released.

                Incidentally, I have been mightily impressed with what I thought was the natural look of my tone-mapped images but someone whose opinion I respect has just said they still have that HDR look!

                Roger W.
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 1, 2012
                  Am 31.08.2012 01:14, schrieb Roger D Williams:
                  > The Pro version does (85 euros) but my Home version (30 euros)
                  > doesn't, nor is it supposed to be used for commercial work.

                  The lite version possibly does if you modify the workflow described on
                  http://wiki.panotools.org/Batch_merge_handheld_images
                  in the template creation step uncheck 'Generate control points' and
                  'Optimize project'.

                • Roger D Williams
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 1, 2012
                    Thank you, Erik, but that only works if I integrate SNS-HDR into PTgui via the command line. I prefer to treat it as a pre-processor, much as we use ACR, because I love the interface and the well-chosen defaults. But as one who goes the integration route, can you tell me how it affects the very basic PTgui interface for HDR? I have assumed that this would remain unchanged. I much prefer to leave HDR out of PTgui altogether but if SNS-HDR could be smoothly integrated into PTgui and retain its full functionality, I might decided to struggle with command line syntax!

                    Roger W.

                    Sent from my iPad

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 2, 2012
                      Am 02.09.2012 02:12, schrieb Roger D Williams:
                      > Thank you, Erik, but that only works if I integrate SNS-HDR into
                      > PTgui via the command line. I prefer to treat it as a pre-processor,
                      > much as we use ACR, because I love the interface and the well-chosen
                      > defaults. But as one who goes the integration route, can you tell me
                      > how it affects the very basic PTgui interface for HDR?

                      In this case you use the batch functionality of PTGui only to merge sets
                      of images. You don't even use the built in HDR.

                      Another way would be to modify my enfuse droplet: In the corresponding
                      batch file replace enfuse.exe by sns-hdr.exe and adjust the parameters
                      accordingly.