Re: NEX-5R plus Sony bracketing control app

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 29, 2012
      Extensive discussion of the apps here
      http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4311/sony-nex-5r-topic-first-big-sensor-camera-with-applications-support

      PeterM

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

      > On Aug 30, 2012, at 10:27 AM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
      >
      > > http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-nex-5r
      > >
      > > I doubt that you will see custom apps that give more control over bracketing than what the camera gives out of the box.
      >
      > Why? That doesn't make sense. These are proprietary apps, and some of them will not be free.
      >
      > Roger W.
      >
      > Sent from my iPad

    • Keith Davison
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 30, 2012
        Pretty convincing photos of the NEX 6 on this site:-

        http://chinese.vr-zone.com/30172/sony-nex5r-nex6-ncc-08212012/

        The camera is obviously a late production prototype but you can get the gist, dioptre
        adjustable EVF, honest-to-god PASM-(pano!) dial with control wheel surround, dedicated
        AEL and review buttons, hotshoe, same extra function button as 5R.

        The screen has a lug on the side, so it probably hinges sideways or down only.

        Same WiFi sticker on the side like the 5R, so presumably the Pro-Bracket app and remote
        viewing app will work with this cam too.

        I'm fairly convinced these are photos are genuine as the page also has shots of the 5R
        taken in similar surroundings and these exactly match the pre-production 5R shown on
        DPReview yesterday.

        Looks like a winner, at the right price.

        Keith D.

        > With its extra dial and function button, and a hinged up-AND-down live view screen, it might even do
        > well in an overhead monopod/pole setup. I've never liked the controls on the NEX series but this one
        > seems like a step in the right direction, at least in so far as it is used for panoramas.
        >
        > Roger W.
      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 30, 2012
          On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 14:52:38 +0900, panovrx <mediavr@...> wrote:

          > Extensive discussion of the apps here
          > http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4311/sony-nex-5r-topic-first-big-sensor-camera-with-applications-support

          I read the entire discussion with interest. It appears that the only apps
          people have had a chance to look at do indeed only provide access to the
          camera's native functions, and do not expand them. However, there is an
          interesting comment in the official Sony publicity about customers being
          able to update their cameras to include the latest functions via apps. I
          took that as a veiled promise to provide such extra functionality.

          Those commenting expressed as much surprise and even anger at these
          limitations as I would have, if I were a NEX owner, but apparently
          expected no better from Sony. I am more of an optimist.

          By providing all the basic functionality they feel is appropriate at the
          camera's price point, and then providing extra-cost applications to
          enhance them for those who are more demanding/sophisticated users, they
          would have a very flexible and potentially profitable marketing tool.
          The apps would also enable them to try out new functions and see how well
          they were received, before embedding them in future cameras' hardware.

          Roger W.

          --
          Business: www.adex-japan.com
          Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
          Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 30, 2012
            NEX cameras are really good little cameras for the price. Pentax uses Sony sensors as does the Nikon d800.
            For the price, there is not much to complain about. Bracketing is useful to some I suppose but I've not felt the
            need for bracketing shots when shooting outdoors. A good raw converter like ACR or Lightroom can really pull a lot
            out of one exposure.

            On 8/30/2012 10:12 PM, Roger D. Williams wrote:
            > On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 14:52:38 +0900, panovrx<mediavr@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Extensive discussion of the apps here
            >> http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4311/sony-nex-5r-topic-first-big-sensor-camera-with-applications-support
            >
            > I read the entire discussion with interest. It appears that the only apps
            > people have had a chance to look at do indeed only provide access to the
            > camera's native functions, and do not expand them. However, there is an
            > interesting comment in the official Sony publicity about customers being
            > able to update their cameras to include the latest functions via apps. I
            > took that as a veiled promise to provide such extra functionality.
            >
            > Those commenting expressed as much surprise and even anger at these
            > limitations as I would have, if I were a NEX owner, but apparently
            > expected no better from Sony. I am more of an optimist.
            >
            > By providing all the basic functionality they feel is appropriate at the
            > camera's price point, and then providing extra-cost applications to
            > enhance them for those who are more demanding/sophisticated users, they
            > would have a very flexible and potentially profitable marketing tool.
            > The apps would also enable them to try out new functions and see how well
            > they were received, before embedding them in future cameras' hardware.
            >
            > Roger W.

          • Roger D Williams
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 31, 2012
              On Aug 31, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

              > NEX cameras are really good little cameras for the price. Pentax uses Sony sensors as does the Nikon d800.
              > For the price, there is not much to complain about. Bracketing is useful to some I suppose but I've not felt the
              > need for bracketing shots when shooting outdoors. A good raw converter like ACR or Lightroom can really pull a lot
              > out of one exposure.

              They (NEX) are certainly reasonable value and astonishingly compact. I would enjoy playing with their panorama and stereo scan functions... If only I could stand the user interface.

              I agree about the ability to use a single shot for most outdoor panoramas. With the advantage you only have to bother with amputees at seams, not the multiple ghosts of bracketed shots. Indoors, of course, where there are windows, bracketed HDR is advisable.

              At the moment I am comparing bracketed panoramas using all three shots with the same panorama made from the best shot of each triplet. With Tokyo temperatures and humidities in the 90s day after day I don't feel like going out after panoramas, so I have time to play around in front of the computer. At the moment I prefer the defaults of SNS-HDR on single-file RAW images over anything I can get (even with more effort) from ACR except for CA and fringe removal. Alas, the same limitation applies to three-shot bracketed HDR results. I'm looking forward to the promised upgrade that will introduce CA and fringe removal and add adjustable ghost-removal options. If they work as well as the rest of the program, they will make SNS-HDR my natural first choice. I really don't appreciate having to use ACR to remove CA/fringes, write the results to TIFFs, and then run those through SNS-HDR. Also SNS-HDR doesn't do as well with pseudo HDR on single TIFF images as it does on the original RAW images (not just a subjective impression--the author confirmed this to me).

              Roger W.
            • Ken Warner
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 31, 2012
                I never use the trick stuff on the NEX. The Dynamic Range Optimization, for example, does extend the DR but it changes the brightness and color balance of each image so trying to use it for a pano sequence is not my favorite thing.

                The control buttons are all programmable so they can be set up to put the obvious controls at your finger tips. When that's done, the interface gets really simple to use. The main thing I don't like is the lack of a focus depth of field indicator and the camera tends to over expose almost a full EV. I work around those annoyances for every pano.

                On 8/31/2012 7:56 PM, Roger D Williams wrote:
                > On Aug 31, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Ken Warner<kwarner000@...> wrote:
                >
                >> NEX cameras are really good little cameras for the price. Pentax uses Sony sensors as does the Nikon d800.
                >> For the price, there is not much to complain about. Bracketing is useful to some I suppose but I've not felt the
                >> need for bracketing shots when shooting outdoors. A good raw converter like ACR or Lightroom can really pull a lot
                >> out of one exposure.
                >
                > They (NEX) are certainly reasonable value and astonishingly compact. I would enjoy playing with their panorama and stereo scan functions... If only I could stand the user interface.
                >
                > I agree about the ability to use a single shot for most outdoor panoramas. With the advantage you only have to bother with amputees at seams, not the multiple ghosts of bracketed shots. Indoors, of course, where there are windows, bracketed HDR is advisable.
                >
                > At the moment I am comparing bracketed panoramas using all three shots with the same panorama made from the best shot of each triplet. With Tokyo temperatures and humidities in the 90s day after day I don't feel like going out after panoramas, so I have time to play around in front of the computer. At the moment I prefer the defaults of SNS-HDR on single-file RAW images over anything I can get (even with more effort) from ACR except for CA and fringe removal. Alas, the same limitation applies to three-shot bracketed HDR results. I'm looking forward to the promised upgrade that will introduce CA and fringe removal and add adjustable ghost-removal options. If they work as well as the rest of the program, they will make SNS-HDR my natural first choice. I really don't appreciate having to use ACR to remove CA/fringes, write the results to TIFFs, and then run those through SNS-HDR. Also SNS-HDR doesn't do as well with pseudo HDR on single TIFF images as it does on the original
                RAW images (not just a subjective impression--the author confirmed this to me).

                > Roger W.

              • panovrx
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 31, 2012
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

                  At the moment I prefer the defaults of SNS-HDR on single-file RAW images over anything I can get (even with more effort) from ACR except for CA and fringe removal. Alas, the same limitation applies to three-shot bracketed HDR results. I'm looking forward to the promised upgrade that will introduce CA and fringe removal and add adjustable ghost-removal options.
                  > Roger W.

                  I know a lot of people dislike Silkypix Raw processing but the latest version introduced a single shot raw hdr feature which was good enough in itself for me to upgrade. Also its CA correction is very good. But the interface remains brain dead in lots of ways.

                  PeterM
                • Roger D Williams
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 2, 2012
                    On Sep 1, 2012, at 1:00 PM, "panovrx" <mediavr@...> wrote:

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    > At the moment I prefer the defaults of SNS-HDR on single-file RAW images over anything I can get (even with more effort) from ACR except for CA and fringe removal. Alas, the same limitation applies to three-shot bracketed HDR results. I'm looking forward to the promised upgrade that will introduce CA and fringe removal and add adjustable ghost-removal options.
                    >> Roger W.
                    >>

                    > I know a lot of people dislike Silkypix Raw processing but the latest version introduced a single shot raw hdr feature which was good enough in itself for me to upgrade. Also its CA correction is very good. But the interface remains brain dead in lots of ways.

                    I have to agree about the quirky interface. Also I think in the program's early days the Japanese company that wrote it used a translator who was unfamiliar with the terminology already in use in similar programs. This may be responsible for the rather odd names of parameters and pull-down menu items. This makes the learning curve steeper than it need be. But if Silkypix is all you know I guess that's less of a problem: everyone else will look out of step.

                    Years ago I used it for all my RAW development but I became angry over the upgrade policy which in those days was no free minor upgrades and buy again for major upgrades. Doubt if that has changed.

                    I remember that noise reduction was particularly good. And yes, even in those days there was good de-fringing that saved many a Peleng shot from obvious purple fringes.

                    Roger W
                  • Roger D Williams
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 2, 2012
                      On Sep 1, 2012, at 12:36 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

                      > I never use the trick stuff on the NEX. The Dynamic Range Optimization, for example, does extend the DR but it changes the brightness and color balance of each image so trying to use it for a pano sequence is not my favorite thing.

                      Yes, although PTgui can work wonders with changing brightness and colour balance, as I have been pleased to find when made that kind of mistake.

                      > The control buttons are all programmable so they can be set up to put the obvious controls at your finger tips. When that's done, the interface gets really simple to use. The main thing I don't like is the lack of a focus depth of field indicator and the camera tends to over expose almost a full EV.

                      I wouldn't miss a focus depth of field indicator as I have focus locked down at the hyperfocal point, and anyway the NEXes certainly aren't alone in this, and even when a lens DOES have this it is generally unreliable. But over-exposure is a much more serious fault.

                      Roger W
                    • giant_klobasa_monster
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 9, 2012
                        peter, do you have any examples? i'm interested to see this!