PS Help!

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 26, 2012
      Now I am taking a LOT more shots for each panorama, shooting six around one up and two down, each with three bracketed exposures, I need to be able to remove chromatic aberration and purple fringing, both of which affect the otherwise quite admirable Pentax 11-17mm zoom fisheye. And I need to be able to do it quickly and efficiently. Life was simpler when I shot four around! (sigh) but I do get larger, more detailed, better panoramas. So I'm soldiering on.

      "Efficiently" is covered by PS CS5 and the inbuilt ACR 5.7, but I'm blowed if I can get PS to accept all the files in a given set and then simply apply the corrections to them all. So "quick" it is NOT! I have read that mini-bridge can be used to associate all the files in a set so they all get the same treatment. Can someone please tell how to do that? I've tried SHIFT+SELECT in the thumbnail window but only the first or last of those selected appears...

      I do know how to make the minimal CA and de-fringing operations the default, but I need to be able to get that default applied to a whole set of (6+2+1)x3 images.

      Roger W.

      Sent from my iPad
    • Thomas Bredenfeld
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 26, 2012
        hi roger,

        did you try to select all photos in (normal) bridge, get them in camera
        raw (cmd+r), then select them all in there (cmd+a) and do a multi image
        treatment?

        if you then save the settings you made as a preset (for your specific
        lens), you can re-apply this with on image series with a few mouse clicks.

        you can even bypass opening camera raw later as you can apply your raw
        development settings directly to selected raw images series in bridge
        with a right mouse click. bridge can access all camera raw presets
        directly. with this every image gets its settings with a xmp file attached.
        finally go to tools -> photoshop -> image processor to get them
        converted to tiff, jpeg etc. with your raw settings applied and for
        further stitching. with dr.brown services as a 3rd party script you even
        have more features for this mass conversion.

        mini bridge is (specially in the cs5 version) - compared to full bridge
        - very feature limited.

        if you like it even faster and more efficiently, you should try
        lightroom, which uses the same camera raw engine and has all you need
        more handy and in one programm. the new lightroom 4.1 works with the new
        and far better camera raw 7 (which isn't working with ps cs5) and has a
        very moderate price tag.

        hope this helps
        thomas

        Am 26.08.12 09:21, schrieb Roger D Williams:
        > Now I am taking a LOT more shots for each panorama, shooting six around
        > one up and two down, each with three bracketed exposures, I need to be
        > able to remove chromatic aberration and purple fringing, both of which
        > affect the otherwise quite admirable Pentax 11-17mm zoom fisheye. And I
        > need to be able to do it quickly and efficiently. Life was simpler when
        > I shot four around! (sigh) but I do get larger, more detailed, better
        > panoramas. So I'm soldiering on.
        >
        > "Efficiently" is covered by PS CS5 and the inbuilt ACR 5.7, but I'm
        > blowed if I can get PS to accept all the files in a given set and then
        > simply apply the corrections to them all. So "quick" it is NOT! I have
        > read that mini-bridge can be used to associate all the files in a set so
        > they all get the same treatment. Can someone please tell how to do that?
        > I've tried SHIFT+SELECT in the thumbnail window but only the first or
        > last of those selected appears...
        >
        > I do know how to make the minimal CA and de-fringing operations the
        > default, but I need to be able to get that default applied to a whole
        > set of (6+2+1)x3 images.
        >
        > Roger W.
        >
        > Sent from my iPad

      • Hans
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 26, 2012
          Do you not open them all in ACR so that you have them in a thumbnail window to the left.
          'At the top of that window it should be 2 buttons. Select all and synchronize.
          To select groups of images you just cmd click them.

          There are lots of other ways for example you can select Save new camera defaults in the right side menu list. Click on the small arrow in the Bar that says Basic etc. You can also save settings there which you can apply.

          But why do you use 5.7 If you have CS5 you can update ACR to 6.7 which has the automatic removal which you just need to book. If you apply the Remove Chromatic Aberation under profiles and the defringe All Edges under Manual you just use the Save New Camera Default and you have the CA removal applied for any images you open in ACR

          Hans

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

          > Now I am taking a LOT more shots for each panorama, shooting six around one up and two down, each with three bracketed exposures, I need to be able to remove chromatic aberration and purple fringing, both of which affect the otherwise quite admirable Pentax 11-17mm zoom fisheye. And I need to be able to do it quickly and efficiently. Life was simpler when I shot four around! (sigh) but I do get larger, more detailed, better panoramas. So I'm soldiering on.
          >
          > "Efficiently" is covered by PS CS5 and the inbuilt ACR 5.7, but I'm blowed if I can get PS to accept all the files in a given set and then simply apply the corrections to them all. So "quick" it is NOT! I have read that mini-bridge can be used to associate all the files in a set so they all get the same treatment. Can someone please tell how to do that? I've tried SHIFT+SELECT in the thumbnail window but only the first or last of those selected appears...
          >
          > I do know how to make the minimal CA and de-fringing operations the default, but I need to be able to get that default applied to a whole set of (6+2+1)x3 images.
        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 26, 2012
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

            > "Efficiently" is covered by PS CS5 and the inbuilt ACR 5.7, but I'm blowed if I can get PS to accept all the files in a given set and then simply apply the corrections to them all. So "quick" it is NOT! I have read that mini-bridge can be used to associate all the files in a set so they all get the same treatment. Can someone please tell how to do that? I've tried SHIFT+SELECT in the thumbnail window but only the first or last of those selected appears...

            Roger, In Bridge, click on the first image in the set of images, and then Shift+click on the last in the set. That should select the full set. You can then right click on any of those images and select Open in Camera RAW to open all those images in ACR. Adjust one image as required and then click the Select All button and click Synchronize.

            Another option in Bridge is to copy the settings of one image into another image or set of images: right click on a correctly adjusted image and select Develop Settings->Copy Settings. Then select all the images in a set as above, right click on one and select Develop Settings->Paste Settings.

            John
          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 26, 2012
              In Lightroom, there is a "Sync/Auto Sync" switch. Select all the photos you want to apply the current settings to and click Sync. Auto Sync applies changes to all selected photos as you make the changes.

              On 8/26/2012 3:58 AM, John Houghton wrote:
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams<roger@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> "Efficiently" is covered by PS CS5 and the inbuilt ACR 5.7, but I'm blowed if I can get PS to accept all the files in a given set and then simply apply the corrections to them all. So "quick" it is NOT! I have read that mini-bridge can be used to associate all the files in a set so they all get the same treatment. Can someone please tell how to do that? I've tried SHIFT+SELECT in the thumbnail window but only the first or last of those selected appears...
              >>
              > Roger, In Bridge, click on the first image in the set of images, and then Shift+click on the last in the set. That should select the full set. You can then right click on any of those images and select Open in Camera RAW to open all those images in ACR. Adjust one image as required and then click the Select All button and click Synchronize.
              >
              > Another option in Bridge is to copy the settings of one image into another image or set of images: right click on a correctly adjusted image and select Develop Settings->Copy Settings. Then select all the images in a set as above, right click on one and select Develop Settings->Paste Settings.
              >
              > John

            • Robert C. Fisher
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 26, 2012
                I might as well jump in here as well . . .
                How I process out images for my panos, I organize the images into folders, I shoot raw and jpg so I have a folder with the raw images make sure you have all the bracket sets you want to use. Open the raw folder in bridge > select all the images > open either from pull down or by clicking cmd o (the o not zero) > they will open in Adobe Camera Raw > select one with the median exposure make your adjustments under the first tab on the left the basic tab, then go to the 6th tab which will be the lens correction, check the remove chromatic aberations at the bottom of the profile tab then switch to the manual sub tab and click the dfringe, at the bottom, and choose all edges. OK now look over at the left column click the "select all" button then the button below "syncronize" that will sync all the images. Then hit save. that will process all your images at one swoop, make sure you output as tif files. and place them where you chose to put them then you can process the bracket sets. I do this in Brackteer then use those processed files to stitch the pano in PTGui. Seems long but you can do all this pretty quick. I processed 100 high res panos, 100 images each, in 6 days with this work flow.

                On Aug 26, 2012, at 3:58 AM, John Houghton wrote:

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

                > "Efficiently" is covered by PS CS5 and the inbuilt ACR 5.7, but I'm blowed if I can get PS to accept all the files in a given set and then simply apply the corrections to them all. So "quick" it is NOT! I have read that mini-bridge can be used to associate all the files in a set so they all get the same treatment. Can someone please tell how to do that? I've tried SHIFT+SELECT in the thumbnail window but only the first or last of those selected appears...

                Roger, In Bridge, click on the first image in the set of images, and then Shift+click on the last in the set. That should select the full set. You can then right click on any of those images and select Open in Camera RAW to open all those images in ACR. Adjust one image as required and then click the Select All button and click Synchronize.

                Another option in Bridge is to copy the settings of one image into another image or set of images: right click on a correctly adjusted image and select Develop Settings->Copy Settings. Then select all the images in a set as above, right click on one and select Develop Settings->Paste Settings.

                John

                Cheers
                Robert C. Fisher
                VR Photography / Cinematography
                Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

              • jimbo
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 26, 2012
                  Roger,
                  Photoshop is great and I never really felt comfortable with Bridge.. That being said.. my life isn't about sitting in front of a computer, but admittedly a large part of it is spent there.. I would strongly suggest you look into Lightroom.. especially after reading your post.. You can build a preset and apply it to as many images as you want.. further you can build a few different presets and selectively apply them to sub groups in a catalogue grouping and output all of them for your use.. A huge plus is that any changes you make in LR are non destructive.. so when you pull it together ... if your not happy with a portion of it  you can go back and correct it.. and re-output it again.. The latest version of LR (4.1) is a pretty awsome piece of software.. both from a use and cataloguing standpoint..

                  jimbo ----- Original Message -----
                  Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2012 1:21 AM
                  Subject: [PanoToolsNG] PS Help!

[...]

                  No virus found in this message.

                • Roger D Williams
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 26, 2012
                    Thanks to all who so promptly replied to my appeal for help with applying CA and fringing corrections to multiple files. I've got what I need for now, and will just mention a couple of matters arising in this reply, rather than individually.

                    I think I'll stick with Photoshop and upgrade to CS6 rather than go over to Lightroom. With Adobe's changed policy on upgrades and my circumstances this will probably be my last chance, and there are several things in CS6 that I like the look of... Although I am as far as ever from getting a firm grasp of the entire program.

                    There's a more important issue of workflow, though. I now use SNS-HDR (home edition) for my bracketed exposures. Love it! But like ACR/PSCS it works best on RAW files and spits out TIFFS. I'm wondering whether I should use SNS first, and try to use ACR's ability to process TIFFS to deal with CA or use ACR first and try to get SNS to do its magic on TIFFs. The former would reduce the number of files to one third, although the number of files is much less of a problem thanks to the synch function.

                    I'm not asking anyone to investigate this FOR me, and I intend to spend most of today looking into it myself, but I am so inept with complex programs I don't really understand too well that I'm afraid I may reach an invalid conclusion and there might be "gotchas" I'm unaware of. So if anyone has looked into this and has an opinion, I'd like to hear it!

                    Thanks again for all the clear and helpful advice!

                    Roger W.

                    Sent from my iPad

                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 26, 2012
                      Thank you Hans. I mistyped ACR 5.7. I meant 6.7. You are right about the great auto CA correction feature! It's what finally weaned me from DXO, which does not support my key panorama lenses.

                      Sent from my iPad

                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 26, 2012
                        Robert,

                        The key thing you said that helped the most was that the final save to TIFFs is done for all the selected files. That was the step that eluded me... I'm off to the computer to check this right now!
                        Then I'll have to see what my SNS-HDR program makes of the resulting files.

                        Roger W

                        Sent from my iPad

                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 26, 2012
                            On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 09:55:56 +0900, Robert C. Fisher <bob@...> wrote:

                            Also check and make sure you output to the correct sized tiff, at the bottom of the ACR window, and correct color space. After I upgraded a few months ago I didn't and it was in sRGB and 1/2 sized files. It took a while to figure that out. After everything is set I usually leave it.

                            Good point. But in this case I it's an error that I've already made and suffered my way through trying to eliminate. I have an unusually rich and extensive history of errors!

                            Roger

                            --
                            Business: www.adex-japan.com
                            Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                            Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 27, 2012
                              Am 27.08.2012 01:36, schrieb Roger D Williams:
                              > I'm wondering whether I should use SNS first, and try to use ACR's
                              > ability to process TIFFS to deal with CA

                              SNS-HDR uses dcraw to develop raw files. Going from ACR to dcraw is like
                              going from a samurai sword to a cheap kitchen knife. Furthermore I see
                              no point why SNS should work better on raws than on 16 bit TIFFs.

                            • Roger D Williams
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 27, 2012
                                Thanks, Erik. I have found to my own satisfaction that a simple "synch" option as explained here was all I needed to get ACR to do its excellent CA and fringe elimination. In that sense, ACR definitely comes first! On my first attempt yesterday I turned 120 DNG files into CA- and fringe-free TIFFs in a matter of minutes.

                                But when you are simply sharpening a pencil, a kitchen knife can be better than a Samurai sword!

                                What I like about SNS-HDR is (a) the default combination of RAW development and tone-mapping plus (b) the excellent user interface. It does indeed work just as well with TIFFs as it does with RAW files.

                                The bottleneck in my workflow is now in SNS-HDR, where I have to process each of the 6+3 shots individually. But as I was previously doing a lot of tweaking in DXO and trying to apply the set of tweaks (saved by name) to all the shots in the set, with varying results, I find I can now leave everything to one of the SNS-HDR defaults, so I still come out ahead. And of course I am now really getting experience with bracketed HDR processing, not pseudo HDR on individual RAW files.

                                Roger W.

                                Sent from my iPad

                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 30, 2012
                                  Am 28.08.2012 02:03, schrieb Roger D Williams:
                                  > But when you are simply sharpening a pencil, a kitchen knife can be
                                  > better than a Samurai sword!

                                  I prefer a pencil sharpener for that task, since normal kitchen knifes
                                  rarely are sharp enough. No, I don't speak of a Hōchō - this is category
                                  samurai sword...

                                  > The bottleneck in my workflow is now in SNS-HDR, where I have to
                                  > process each of the 6+3 shots individually.

                                  I thought SNS-HDR does batch processing? At least that's what I read
                                  from a google search...

                                • Sacha Griffin
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 30, 2012

                                    I guess you haven’t seen this then….

                                    How to Sharpen a Pencil

                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spMaP-_Cq_8

                                    -sacha

                                    Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Re: PS Help!

                                    Am 28.08.2012 02:03, schrieb Roger D Williams:

                                    > But when you are simply sharpening a pencil, a kitchen knife can be
                                    > better than a Samurai sword!

                                    I prefer a pencil sharpener for that task, since normal kitchen knifes
                                    rarely are sharp enough. No, I don't speak of a Hōchō - this is category
                                    samurai sword...

                                    > The bottleneck in my workflow is now in SNS-HDR, where I have to
                                    > process each of the 6+3 shots individually.

                                    I thought SNS-HDR does batch processing? At least that's what I read
                                    from a google search...

                                  • Rick Drew
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 30, 2012

                                      Ha! Wow. Rube Goldberg would be proud!

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 30, 2012
                                        Am 30.08.2012 23:04, schrieb Sacha Griffin:
                                        > I guess you haven’t seen this then….
                                        >
                                        > How to Sharpen a Pencil

                                        Well, the main purpose of samurai swords was to kill people. Kitchen
                                        knifes are not so good for this, although it is possible. But actually
                                        this artisan pencil sharpener proves my words true: It's always better
                                        to use high quality tools if you want good results.

                                      • John Riley
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 30, 2012

                                          On Aug 30, 2012, at 5:04 PM, Sacha Griffin wrote:

                                          I guess you haven’t seen this then….

                                          How to Sharpen a Pencil

                                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spMaP-_Cq_8

                                          -sacha

                                          Somehow, that really appeals to me. And the Palomino Blackwing pencils, ooohhh!

                                          John Riley
                                          4Pi-VR Media Solutions
                                          http://4pi-vr.com
                                          johnriley@...
                                          (h)864-461-3504
                                          (c)864-431-7075
                                          (w)864-503-5775
                                        • Roger D Williams
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 30, 2012
                                            On Aug 31, 2012, at 6:00 AM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

                                            > Am 28.08.2012 02:03, schrieb Roger D Williams:
                                            >> But when you are simply sharpening a pencil, a kitchen knife can be
                                            >> better than a Samurai sword!
                                            >
                                            > I prefer a pencil sharpener for that task, since normal kitchen knifes
                                            > rarely are sharp enough. No, I don't speak of a Hōchō - this is category
                                            > samurai sword...

                                            Pencil sharpener > kitchen knife > Samurai sword! (grin)

                                            >> The bottleneck in my workflow is now in SNS-HDR, where I have to
                                            >> process each of the 6+3 shots individually.
                                            >
                                            > I thought SNS-HDR does batch processing? At least that's what I read
                                            > from a google search...

                                            The Pro version does (85 euros) but my Home version (30 euros) doesn't, nor is it supposed to be used for commercial work. I am thinking of upgrading but will probably wait until the new version, with CA and fringe removal, and selective preprocessing to eliminate ghosts, is released.

                                            Incidentally, I have been mightily impressed with what I thought was the natural look of my tone-mapped images but someone whose opinion I respect has just said they still have that HDR look!

                                            Roger W.
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 1, 2012
                                              Am 31.08.2012 01:14, schrieb Roger D Williams:
                                              > The Pro version does (85 euros) but my Home version (30 euros)
                                              > doesn't, nor is it supposed to be used for commercial work.

                                              The lite version possibly does if you modify the workflow described on
                                              http://wiki.panotools.org/Batch_merge_handheld_images
                                              in the template creation step uncheck 'Generate control points' and
                                              'Optimize project'.

                                            • Roger D Williams
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 1, 2012
                                                Thank you, Erik, but that only works if I integrate SNS-HDR into PTgui via the command line. I prefer to treat it as a pre-processor, much as we use ACR, because I love the interface and the well-chosen defaults. But as one who goes the integration route, can you tell me how it affects the very basic PTgui interface for HDR? I have assumed that this would remain unchanged. I much prefer to leave HDR out of PTgui altogether but if SNS-HDR could be smoothly integrated into PTgui and retain its full functionality, I might decided to struggle with command line syntax!

                                                Roger W.

                                                Sent from my iPad

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Sep 2, 2012
                                                  Am 02.09.2012 02:12, schrieb Roger D Williams:
                                                  > Thank you, Erik, but that only works if I integrate SNS-HDR into
                                                  > PTgui via the command line. I prefer to treat it as a pre-processor,
                                                  > much as we use ACR, because I love the interface and the well-chosen
                                                  > defaults. But as one who goes the integration route, can you tell me
                                                  > how it affects the very basic PTgui interface for HDR?

                                                  In this case you use the batch functionality of PTGui only to merge sets
                                                  of images. You don't even use the built in HDR.

                                                  Another way would be to modify my enfuse droplet: In the corresponding
                                                  batch file replace enfuse.exe by sns-hdr.exe and adjust the parameters
                                                  accordingly.