Time for me to catch up

  • bryant_arnett
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 25 10:26 AM
      Hi, all.

      Several years ago I was active in the creation of VR photography. Around the time things were shifting from QTVR to Flash, my camera broke and I ended up taking a long vacation from photography. Now, finally, I am hoping to get back into the creation of VR images. About a year ago I asked here in this group for advice on how to get caught up, and received some great answers and info, but unfortunately I never brought myself back up to speed.

      Now, finally, I am going all in. I have leaped back into the photography and stitching part of the process, and I am at the point where I have successfully created several new equirectangular images. That's where I get stuck. I can't seem to figure out how to take the next step.

      I am using the latest version of PTGUI, and I am glad to see there is a "publish to webpage" function. This allows me to select an image and generate an HTML Flash webpage. However, the page is not exactly what I am hoping for. The controls are jerky and the experience of viewing the image is extremely unpleasant.

      Basically I am wishing I could make a webpage that simply displays my image as a fullscreen panorama as close as possible to the World Wide Panorama style fullscreen display. In my opinion, the WWP engine seems to be the smoothest, most enjoyable display I have seen.

      I have tried to research the various options available to me, but I think what I really need is some advice. How can I take my equirectangular images and generate a webpage which will display my image as closely as possible to the WWP style fullscreen mode? Also, and this might really be a big leap, but how can I also make my images available for HTML5 devices.

      It's time for me to get caught up. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

      '''''''''''''''' Bryant
    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 25 1:02 PM
        Hy Bryant

        WWP pages uses
        KRPano.com

        + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
        http://ayrton360.com
        twitter.com/ayrton360

        "It's not WHAT you shoot. It's the WAY you shoot it."

        On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM, bryant_arnett <mail3@...> wrote:
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • bryant_arnett
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 25 2:07 PM

          > Hy Bryant
          >
          > WWP pages uses
          > KRPano.com

          Thanks, AYRTON! I was thinking the WWP used a proprietary system. I probably could have figured it out if I just thought to look closely at the WWP images and right click on them! Sometimes the answer is in front of my face, but I don't see it. I am really far behind the latest developments, but I hope to get caught up.

          Thanks for the quick reply!

          '''''''''''''' Bryant
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 25 2:42 PM
            Am 25.08.2012 23:07, schrieb bryant_arnett:
            > I am really far behind the latest developments, but I hope to get caught up.

            Just for completeness: Perhaps you should have a look at Pano2VR as well
            (version 4 is in beta). Both KRPano and Pano2VR do HTML5, too...

          • virtualpointphotos@mac.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 25 6:12 PM
              Also Flashificator. It is very helpful if you don't code-like me!

              -Stephani

              ------------------------------------

              --
            • bryant_arnett
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2012
                Hi, Everyone.

                Thanks to all who replied with advice for potential software to help me get caught up. I think I am going to go with KRpano because it seems to be the most powerful, despite the complexity. I think I am actually ready to embrace a highly complex system if it gives me exactly what I want out of my display. I am also very interested in exploring the potential of sound (I am a sound designer/engineer/mixer for almost 30 years, so Sound has the potential of being my greatest area of interest).

                When I use the demo version of KRpano to create a simple tour by simply dropping the images on the "tour droplet" I end up with a really good tour. This tour seems to be compatible with HTML5. I uploaded it to my website and it is working on my iPhone (despite the fact that the same files will NOT work on a normal desktop browser, apparently because of the license restrictions).

                So if I am ready to go ahead and purchase a license for KRpano, do I also need to purchase the license for the HTML5 license simply to view my tour on my iPhone, or is that extra HTML5 license only required if I want to do more stuff with the HTML5?

                In other words, if I just buy the basic KRpano license and use it to create a very simple tour, will it be HTML5 compatible, or do I need to also purchase the HTML license? Thanks for your patience with an old timer/newcomer. I hope to be back on top of this very soon. :)

                ''''''''''''''' Bryant
              • Sacha Griffin
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2012
                  No you need the html5 license period.

                  The html5 version is quickly become very good working on most major browsers and working on mobile and tablet devices where possible. Currently, multiresolution is disabled for idevices but i think this will probably change before the end of the year.

                  Sacha Griffin
                  Office: 404-551-4275

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 3, 2012
                    Thanks, Sacha.

                    I will get the HTML5 license, definitely!

                    Now I guess my next step is to dive into tutorials. The krpano website tutorial page has only the most basic info, then the rest of the documentation is very technical and advanced. I can work up to those advanced features, but are there any other tutorials available which bridge the gap between beginner and pro?

                    ''''''''''''''''' Bryant

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                    > No you need the html5 license period.
                    >
                    > The html5 version is quickly become very good working on most major
                    > browsers and working on mobile and tablet devices where possible.
                    > Currently, multiresolution is disabled for idevices but i think this will
                    > probably change before the end of the year.
                    >
                    > Sacha Griffin
                    > http://www.seeit360.com
                    > http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
                    > http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
                    > EMAIL: sachagriffin@...
                    > IM: sachagriffin007@...
                    > Office: 404-551-4275

                  • Sacha Griffin
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 3, 2012
                      The viewer package comes with examples for everything and easy to understand xml.

                      Sacha Griffin
                      Office: 404-551-4275

                      On Sep 3, 2012, at 3:41 PM, bryant_arnett <mail3@...> wrote:

                      Thanks, Sacha.

                      I will get the HTML5 license, definitely!

                      Now I guess my next step is to dive into tutorials. The krpano website tutorial page has only the most basic info, then the rest of the documentation is very technical and advanced. I can work up to those advanced features, but are there any other tutorials available which bridge the gap between beginner and pro?

                      ''''''''''''''''' Bryant

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                      > No you need the html5 license period.
                      >
                      > The html5 version is quickly become very good working on most major
                      > browsers and working on mobile and tablet devices where possible.
                      > Currently, multiresolution is disabled for idevices but i think this will
                      > probably change before the end of the year.
                      >
                      > Sacha Griffin
                      > http://www.seeit360.com
                      > http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
                      > http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
                      > EMAIL: sachagriffin@...
                      > IM: sachagriffin007@...
                      > Office: 404-551-4275

                    • bryant_arnett
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
                        Great! Thanks again. I found the examples and went through all of them. It's good stuff!

                        So far, krpano looks like a very powerful, fun, program.