HDR image shows a sharp tonal diff at -180/+180 merging line

  • Mahmood Hamidi
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 2006
      When I combine 2/3 bracketed pano images to one hdr a very sharp tonal
      difference can be seen at -180/+180 overaly.
      The separate images make no such overlay difference in the final pano.
      When I just combine the images to a contrast blended image (Highlight
      & shadows in Photomatix, any of the options) I don't get the sharp
      line at -180/+180 merging line either.
      It is only when I combine the 2 images using hdr generate & tone map
      that I get the sharp line (darker at one side and lighter at the other)

      Anybody that has had the same experience and got round the problem?

      Thanks,
      /MH

      PS. I use Photomatix v2.3.3.
    • Bernhard Vogl
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 27, 2006
        Hello Mahmood,

        You seem to have missed the "360° image" checkbox in the tonemapping dialog.
        This will fit the tonal range across the -180/180 degree border.

        Best regards
        Bernhard

        > When I combine 2/3 bracketed pano images to one hdr a very sharp tonal
        > difference can be seen at -180/+180 overaly.
        > The separate images make no such overlay difference in the final pano.
        > When I just combine the images to a contrast blended image (Highlight
        > & shadows in Photomatix, any of the options) I don't get the sharp
        > line at -180/+180 merging line either.
        > It is only when I combine the 2 images using hdr generate & tone map
        > that I get the sharp line (darker at one side and lighter at the other)
        >
        > Anybody that has had the same experience and got round the problem?
        >

        > Thanks,
        > /MH
        >
        > PS. I use Photomatix v2.3.3.
      • Mahmood Hamidi
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2006
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Bernhard Vogl" <bvogl@...> wrote:

          > Hello Mahmood,
          >
          > You seem to have missed the "360° image" checkbox in the tonemapping
          dialog.
          > This will fit the tonal range across the -180/180 degree border.
          >
          > Best regards
          > Bernhard

          Hi Bernhard,
          Thanks for your reply.
          I tried the "360° image" checkbox, it helps a lot but you can still
          see the tonal difference.

          In my input for WWP event the Standard version is made with
          hdr/tonemapper, which shows a line left to the high chimney (you have
          to drag the pano about 90 degree to see the chimney), the full screen
          version is made with H&S, which does not show any such line.

          You can see them at "http://hem.bredband.net/b530695/"

          Regards,
          /MH
        • Bernhard Vogl
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 29, 2006
            Hello Mahmood,

            I think, your example is an unhappy coincidence of the chimney in proximity to the image border.
            You may have better chances of a good boundary blending by moving the chimney more to the middle of the unwrapped panorama: in HDRShop(*), load the equirectangular HDR-Panorama and choose [Image]-[Transform]-[Shift w/Wrap], save it again and give it another try in Photomatix.

            (*) For more information about HDRShop, see
            http://wiki.panotools.org/HDR_Software_overview

            Best regards
            Bernhard