LiveStrong wristbands for panorama photography

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2012
      The smaller size of LiveStrong wristbands is proving ideal as a means of fixing zoom and focus settings on my Pentax mirrorless T-01 camera its 11-17mm fisheye lens. It also has a nice solid yellow colour that matches the yellow rubber on the camera. Makes a nice conversation starter.

      This is a light and fairly potent combination for panorama photography. It's not quite as convenient as the combination of ring-mounted Peleng and my Pentax K-x on a monopod, which enables four-shot hand-held panoramas provided I take the time to deal with small holes at zenith and nadir, and the cloning needed to get rid of Peleng flare. But the inherently higher quality of the Pentax zoom fisheye and the higher pixel counts that come from 6+2 shots on a 16MB sensor rather than 4 shots on a 12MB sensor, help me to put up with the need for a tripod and panorama head.

      My only dilemma is whether I should now upgrade to the K-30, which has the new 16MB sensor, weather-proofing, and a better build.

      Unfortunately the K-30 repeats Pentax's regrettable habit of placing remote control and bracketing on the same menu, so you can have one or the other but not both. (sigh) Remotely bracketing would be great for the T-01 setup, which I mostly use for interior panoramas, where sometimes the light from outdoors through windows makes bracketing essential. The lack of a mirror means there's no mirror shock, and the three shots are made in less than half a second, which helps when dealing with ghosts. Great combination. If you can stomach the Sony control setup (I can't) I can see why the NEX series are attractive for panoramas.

      Roger W.

      Sent from my iPad
    • orlandofoto2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 27, 2012
        Hi Roger,

        Why don't you consider the K-5 body? The price is falling rapidly since a new model is supossed to be out soon.
        It allows simultaneous (wired or infrared) remote control and bracketing, and on top of that "one push bracketing", so you press the shutter or remote button once to trigger the bracketed sequence. The bracketing with the 10-17 fisheye or any DA lens, when in Manual mode works as it should: only the shutter speed shifts and the aperture remains constant. This is something not possible with my previous camera, the K10D.
        I hope this helps you make the best possible decision,
        Best regards,

        Cesar

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

        > The smaller size of LiveStrong wristbands is proving ideal as a means of fixing zoom and focus settings on my Pentax mirrorless T-01 camera its 11-17mm fisheye lens. It also has a nice solid yellow colour that matches the yellow rubber on the camera. Makes a nice conversation starter.
        >
        > This is a light and fairly potent combination for panorama photography. It's not quite as convenient as the combination of ring-mounted Peleng and my Pentax K-x on a monopod, which enables four-shot hand-held panoramas provided I take the time to deal with small holes at zenith and nadir, and the cloning needed to get rid of Peleng flare. But the inherently higher quality of the Pentax zoom fisheye and the higher pixel counts that come from 6+2 shots on a 16MB sensor rather than 4 shots on a 12MB sensor, help me to put up with the need for a tripod and panorama head.
        >
        > My only dilemma is whether I should now upgrade to the K-30, which has the new 16MB sensor, weather-proofing, and a better build.
        >
        > Unfortunately the K-30 repeats Pentax's regrettable habit of placing remote control and bracketing on the same menu, so you can have one or the other but not both. (sigh) Remotely bracketing would be great for the T-01 setup, which I mostly use for interior panoramas, where sometimes the light from outdoors through windows makes bracketing essential. The lack of a mirror means there's no mirror shock, and the three shots are made in less than half a second, which helps when dealing with ghosts. Great combination. If you can stomach the Sony control setup (I can't) I can see why the NEX series are attractive for panoramas.
        >
        > Roger W.
        >
        > Sent from my iPad

      • Roger D Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 27, 2012
          On Aug 28, 2012, at 7:49 AM, "orlandofoto2000" <cesarp@...> wrote:

          > Hi Roger,
          >
          > Why don't you consider the K-5 body? The price is falling rapidly since a new model is supossed to be out soon.

          I did, and have been, considering the K-5, but I would have put a lot more energy into it if I had known how ideal it is for bracketed exposures under remote control. Thanks for that! K-5s have almost completely disappeared from the selves, and where I HAVE found them they are still priced considerably higher than the K-30. The latter is already hard to justify on my very limited budget, alas.

          It looks as if I should probably wait until after the K-5 successor appears.

          Roger W.

          > It allows simultaneous (wired or infrared) remote control and bracketing, and on top of that "one push bracketing", so you press the shutter or remote button once to trigger the bracketed sequence. The bracketing with the 10-17 fisheye or any DA lens, when in Manual mode works as it should: only the shutter speed shifts and the aperture remains constant. This is something not possible with my previous camera, the K10D.
          > I hope this helps you make the best possible decision,
          > Best regards,
          >
          > Cesar
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> The smaller size of LiveStrong wristbands is proving ideal as a means of fixing zoom and focus settings on my Pentax mirrorless T-01 camera its 11-17mm fisheye lens. It also has a nice solid yellow colour that matches the yellow rubber on the camera. Makes a nice conversation starter.
          >>
          >> This is a light and fairly potent combination for panorama photography. It's not quite as convenient as the combination of ring-mounted Peleng and my Pentax K-x on a monopod, which enables four-shot hand-held panoramas provided I take the time to deal with small holes at zenith and nadir, and the cloning needed to get rid of Peleng flare. But the inherently higher quality of the Pentax zoom fisheye and the higher pixel counts that come from 6+2 shots on a 16MB sensor rather than 4 shots on a 12MB sensor, help me to put up with the need for a tripod and panorama head.
          >>
          >> My only dilemma is whether I should now upgrade to the K-30, which has the new 16MB sensor, weather-proofing, and a better build.
          >>
          >> Unfortunately the K-30 repeats Pentax's regrettable habit of placing remote control and bracketing on the same menu, so you can have one or the other but not both. (sigh) Remotely bracketing would be great for the T-01 setup, which I mostly use for interior panoramas, where sometimes the light from outdoors through windows makes bracketing essential. The lack of a mirror means there's no mirror shock, and the three shots are made in less than half a second, which helps when dealing with ghosts. Great combination. If you can stomach the Sony control setup (I can't) I can see why the NEX series are attractive for panoramas.
          >>
          >> Roger W.
          >>
          >> Sent from my iPad

        • orlandofoto2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 27, 2012
            That's a good idea, and then maybe we'll need some energy in the form of $$$ to buy the new awesome camera, it never ends...