Pano Weaving

  • Christian Bloch
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 20, 2012
      Hey all,

      Found a very interesting paper at SIGGRAPH, that proposes an interactive seam manipulation tool.

      http://www.cs.utah.edu/~bsumma/Panorama_Weaving/index.html

      If you care about leaving a public comment, I would appreciate if you'd do that below my blog post:

      http://www.hdrlabs.com/news/index.php?id=5113341186958905007

      Best,
      Blochi
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 20, 2012
        Am 20.08.2012 22:38, schrieb Christian Bloch:
        > Found a very interesting paper at SIGGRAPH, that proposes an interactive seam manipulation tool.
        >
        > http://www.cs.utah.edu/~bsumma/Panorama_Weaving/index.html

        Interesting indeed. If I understand correctly they use a similar
        technique as seam carving to find the lines with least energy:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seam_carving

        Seam carving has been around for some years. I wonder why no one has
        explored the potential for panorama stitching until now...

      • Christian Bloch
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 20, 2012
          I think Photoshop uses seam carving during stitching (and for auto-blend layers).
          But I'm surprised nobody has tried the interactive seam manipulation method. In a way PTGui's panorama preview already has half the interface for it, with the red seam lines. We'd just need to be allowed to grab and pull on them…

          Blochi

          > Seam carving has been around for some years. I wonder why no one has
          > explored the potential for panorama stitching until now...
          >
          > --
          > Erik Krause
          > http://www.erik-krause.de

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 20, 2012
            Yes, photoshops is very good. A nice hard blend with gradual tonal
            blending. Great for high frequency details. Ptgui's works well but no
            where as cool as this method.

            Sacha Griffin
            http://www.seeit360.com
            http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
            http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
            EMAIL: sachagriffin@...
            IM: sachagriffin007@...
            Office: 404-551-4275

            On Aug 20, 2012, at 6:57 PM, Christian Bloch <Blochi@...> wrote:

            > I think Photoshop uses seam carving during stitching (and for auto-blend layers).
            > But I'm surprised nobody has tried the interactive seam manipulation method. In a way PTGui's panorama preview already has half the interface for it, with the red seam lines. We'd just need to be allowed to grab and pull on them…
            >
            > Blochi
            >

            >> Seam carving has been around for some years. I wonder why no one has
            >> explored the potential for panorama stitching until now...
            >>
            >> --
            >> Erik Krause
            >> http://www.erik-krause.de

          • Hans
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 21, 2012

              > I think Photoshop uses seam carving during stitching (and for auto-blend layers).
              > But I'm surprised nobody has tried the interactive seam manipulation method. In a way PTGui's panorama preview already has half the interface for it, with the red seam lines. We'd just need to be allowed to grab and pull on them…

              In a way you already can do that . I know very few PTGui users know it though.
              Its very easy to control the seem exactly by just a few clicks with small spots of the green and red masks.

              When you learnt how to do it it works almost as good as this video.

              Hans

              > Blochi
              >

              > > Seam carving has been around for some years. I wonder why no one has
              > > explored the potential for panorama stitching until now...
              > >
              > > --
              > > Erik Krause
              > > http://www.erik-krause.de

            • Jim Watters
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 21, 2012
                On 2012-08-21 5:20 AM, Hans wrote:
                > Its very easy to control the seem exactly by just a few clicks with small
                > spots of the green and red masks. When you learnt how to do it it works almost
                > as good as this video. Hans

                The green, include, masks only work with PTGui blending. I usually use
                SmartBlend and then it is necessary to use only the red, exclude mask.

                PTGui uses a bitmap to define masks but already has the lines on the preview.
                Hugin uses vector lines to define the masks but requires more work to update the
                preview.

                --
                Jim Watters
                http://photocreations.ca
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 21, 2012
                  Am 21.08.2012 10:20, schrieb Hans:
                  > Its very easy to control the seem exactly by just a few clicks with small spots of the green and red masks.

                  I use this all the time. However, PTGui seams are not content-aware.
                  They depend only on the distance from the masks. The shown technique
                  tries to find seams where they won't cross structures, same as seam
                  carving (or "content aware scaling") tries to remove image regions with
                  little or no structure. They call this "low energy regions"...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 21, 2012
                    Am 21.08.2012 03:56, schrieb Christian Bloch:
                    > I think Photoshop uses seam carving during stitching (and for auto-blend layers).

                    Not really. Photoshop uses Quadtrees which is an improved Graph Cut:
                    http://www.agarwala.org/efficient_gdc/

                    Another nice and very fast technique for seamless blending can be found
                    here: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~danix/mvclone/

                    (Blochi, do you remember Dani Lischinski ;-)

                  • Lionel
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 21, 2012
                      Blochi, I really like the idea of dragging the red lines; sounds absolutely magic! Now we should persuade Joost.... Do you want to make the suggestion at PTGui?

                      Regards
                      Lionel

                      > I think Photoshop uses seam carving during stitching (and for auto-blend layers).
                      > But I'm surprised nobody has tried the interactive seam manipulation method. In a way PTGui's panorama preview already has half the interface for it, with the red seam lines. We'd just need to be allowed to grab and pull on them…
                      >
                      > Blochi
                      >

                      > > Seam carving has been around for some years. I wonder why no one has
                      > > explored the potential for panorama stitching until now...
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > Erik Krause
                      > > http://www.erik-krause.de

                    • Ken Warner
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 21, 2012
                        I used a stitcher like that once. It worked pretty good. Being able to pull seams would save a lot of fiddling with masks.