Mars Panorama at panoramas.dk

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15, 2012
      For those who are not on Facebook here are some stats of my latests Mars Panorama from the Opportunity which Nasa posted in July.

      This was posted a couple of weeks ago but it was not until last Thursday the traffic exploded. First day was over 500.000 visitors.

      http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/greeley-haven.html

      Yesterday the Greeley Haven passed 2 million unique visitors
      Currently it has Unique Pageviews 2,178,72

      I have done some investigation in the stats and what strikes most is the huge amount of Iphone visitors.
      This is all about the type of sources they come from and in this case it is Twitter, Facebook and thousands of link sites of the type I try to avoid like for example Reddit, and Dirty.ru.
      Most of this type of visitors are the in and out type with a pageview per visitor of 1.10

      What also strikes me is that all the "normal" old bloggers are missing in the sources.

      My normal Mobile/Desktop ratio is 5.32% / 94.68%
      And among them iPad is 46% and iPhone 25%

      However the Mars panorama has 23% mobiles and if you look at the devices you find that the iPhone is 47% and the iPad just 19%
      Android tablets seems to be around 9% and the only Android Smartphone to talk about is SonyXperia Arc 3.68% and Samsung Galaxy SII 2,63% out of the 516.000 Mobile viistors.

      I can also see that only around 30% of the Android Tablets have flash installed (or activated)

      It has more than 4300 link sources coming from 184 countries with US as the top with 37.71% and Russia second with 7.32. A surprise is Saudi Arabia as No 6 with 70.000 visitors =2.83%

      So all this about Smartphones and Tablets are taking over is just about what type of people you are interested in showing your virtual tours.

      One funny thing is also that many of this so called Tech bloggers who has posted it call it the first HD panorama from Mars. Well the original to my first interactive panorama from the Spirit Rover in 2004 was actually 11000 pixels wide and for example the Husband Hill I posted in 2005 is more than 20.000 pixels just like the Greeley Haven.
      http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/mars-dec-2005.html
      I have reduced the size to 3200pixels cubefaces just because of the huge bandwidth usage it may get.

      Hans
    • Dorin@dxn.ro
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2012
        Hello Hans,

        Thanks, as I'm not using facebook, I appreciate.

        Congrats for the hits! You may say that you're millionaire now :)

        cheers,
        Dorin