mars panorama on engadget, latimes, boingboing

  • Jeffrey Martin
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 14, 2012

      http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/14/visualized-mars-gale-crater-in-seamless-360-degrees/

      " The controls take a little getting used to, but persevere and you'll be rewarded with a view as if you were atop Curiosity itself."

      "I found it much easier to use navigation keys instead of click+drag (which web page suggests)."

    • Bostjan Burger
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 15, 2012
        Andrew did a great stiching of images (bravo!). I tried that too but unfortunately I couldn't get proper source images for a better result:  http://www.burger.si/Novosti/Seznam.html

        :=) Bostjan

        " The controls take a little getting used to, but persevere and you'll be rewarded with a view as if you were atop Curiosity itself."

        http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4380327

        "I found it much easier to use navigation keys instead of click+drag (which web page suggests)."
      • Andrew Bodrov
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 15, 2012
          Hi!

          I still need to update this pano because
          http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/14/13282693-panoramas-add-spin-to-mars

          Then I thinking: may be it's time to add a couple of Martians to this
          panorama and "put down" all servers where it hosted with traffic?

          ;)

          Cheers,

          Andrew Bodrov @ http://360pano.eu

          > Andrew did a great stiching of images (bravo!). I tried that too
          > but unfortunately I couldn't get proper source images for a better
          > result: http://www.burger.si/Novosti/Seznam.html

          > :=) Bostjan

        • Michel Thoby
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 15, 2012
            Hi Andrew,

            Le 15 août 2012 à 14:00, Andrew Bodrov a écrit :

            Hi!

            I still need to update this pano because
            http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/14/13282693-panoramas-add-spin-to-mars

            Then I thinking: may be it's time to add a couple of Martians to this
            panorama and "put down" all servers where it hosted with traffic?

            ;)

            Cheers,

            Andrew Bodrov @ http://360pano.eu

            This was in 2008:

            :)

            Michel
          • Hans
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 15, 2012
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bodrov <rey@...> wrote:

              > Hi!
              >
              > I still need to update this pano because
              > http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/14/13282693-panoramas-add-spin-to-mars

              Thanks, have not seen this one. One of the few serious articles which however drowns down the list in company with with "I am bored" and similar linksites.

              Many of the so called Tech sites are not at all very knowledgeable and have for example called the Greeley Haven pano the first HD Pano which is just crap as almost all of the panos NASA made since 2004 are the same size around 23000 pixels wide.
              Here is my version of the Husband Hill from 2005 in full size zoomable.
              http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/mars-dec-2005.html

              We just did not have flash technology to show this resolution in 2005.

              Also many people talk about how good the new images from the Curiosity will be but actually the technology is almost the same and resolution will just be slightly larger. From the first one they posted I can see that a360 is around 29000 pixels

              Hans

              > Then I thinking: may be it's time to add a couple of Martians to this
              > panorama and "put down" all servers where it hosted with traffic?
              >
              > ;)
              >

              > Cheers,
              >
              > Andrew Bodrov @ http://360pano.eu
              >

              > Wednesday, August 15, 2012, 1:30:59 PM, you wrote:
              >

              > > Andrew did a great stiching of images (bravo!). I tried that too
              > > but unfortunately I couldn't get proper source images for a better
              > > result: http://www.burger.si/Novosti/Seznam.html
              >

              > > :=) Bostjan

            • Mark D. Fink
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 15, 2012

                Le 15 août 2012 à 14:00, Andrew Bodrov a écrit :

                Hi!

                I still need to update this pano because
                http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/14/13282693-panoramas-add-spin-to-mars

                Then I thinking: may be it's time to add a couple of Martians to this
                panorama and "put down" all servers where it hosted with traffic?

                ;)

                Cheers,

                Andrew Bodrov @ http://360pano.eu

                This was in 2008:

                :)

                Michel

                Pas beaucoup de "plaging" là!  :o)

              • Jim Watters
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 15, 2012
                  On 2012-08-15 9:41 AM, Hans wrote:
                  > Also many people talk about how good the new images from the Curiosity will be but actually the technology is almost the same and resolution will just be slightly larger. From the first one they posted I can see that a360 is around 29000 pixels
                  >
                  > Hans
                  The color mosaic images shot on Sol 3 was with a 34mm Mastcam and will produce a
                  pano about 29000 pixels but there is a second Mastcam that is about 100mm.
                  Besides the standard RGB Bayer filter array in commercial cameras these cameras
                  are outfitted with a bunch of other cutoff filters.

                  http://msl-scicorner.jpl.nasa.gov/Instruments/Mastcam/

                  So far only shots of the calibration target has been done with the Mastcam-100. The images captured by the Mastcam34 was programmed before the Rover even landed. It does not capture the entire landscape and only thumbnail versions have been uploaded to earth of many of the images.
                  It is unlikely that they will capture an entire 360° panorama with the Mastcamm100, but there has been talk about capturing Mt Sharp.
                  It might still be a week before the Rover even moves there is a good chance to get more images from the same point of view. Even if it takes several more weeks to get them all to Earth.

                  --
                  Jim Watters
                  http://photocreations.ca
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 15, 2012
                    LOL!

                    Bostjan

                      > > Also many people talk about how good the new images from the Curiosity will be but actually the technology is almost the same and resolution will just be slightly larger. From the first one they posted I can see that a360 is around 29000 pixels
                      > >
                      > > Hans
                      > The color mosaic images shot on Sol 3 was with a 34mm Mastcam and will produce a
                      > pano about 29000 pixels but there is a second Mastcam that is about 100mm.
                      > Besides the standard RGB Bayer filter array in commercial cameras these cameras
                      > are outfitted with a bunch of other cutoff filters.

                      I am sorry but you are wrong. The published 29000 pixels panorama is shot with the 100 mm. I just optimized them and they optimize very nice at 101mm. This fits perfect in the pano from NASA

                      They have a FOV of 17 degree which needs around 22 images to cover 360 degrees. As they are 1200x1200 pixels that gives you around 26400 pixels. Not sure how they can get 29000

                      Hans

                      > http://msl-scicorner.jpl.nasa.gov/Instruments/Mastcam/
                      >
                      > So far only shots of the calibration target has been done with the Mastcam-100. The images captured by the Mastcam34 was programmed before the Rover even landed. It does not capture the entire landscape and only thumbnail versions have been uploaded to earth of many of the images.
                      > It is unlikely that they will capture an entire 360° panorama with the Mastcamm100, but there has been talk about capturing Mt Sharp.
                      > It might still be a week before the Rover even moves there is a good chance to get more images from the same point of view. Even if it takes several more weeks to get them all to Earth.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Jim Watters
                      > http://photocreations.ca

                    • Jim Watters
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 16, 2012
                        On 2012-08-16 9:09 PM, Hans wrote:

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jim Watters <jwatters@...> wrote:
                        >> On 2012-08-15 9:41 AM, Hans wrote:
                        >>> Also many people talk about how good the new images from the Curiosity will be but actually the technology is almost the same and resolution will just be slightly larger. From the first one they posted I can see that a360 is around 29000 pixels
                        >>>
                        >>> Hans
                        >> The color mosaic images shot on Sol 3 was with a 34mm Mastcam and will produce a
                        >> pano about 29000 pixels but there is a second Mastcam that is about 100mm.
                        >> Besides the standard RGB Bayer filter array in commercial cameras these cameras
                        >> are outfitted with a bunch of other cutoff filters.
                        > I am sorry but you are wrong. The published 29000 pixels panorama is shot with the 100 mm. I just optimized them and they optimize very nice at 101mm. This fits perfect in the pano from NASA
                        >
                        > They have a FOV of 17 degree which needs around 22 images to cover 360 degrees. As they are 1200x1200 pixels that gives you around 26400 pixels. Not sure how they can get 29000
                        >
                        > Hans

                        http://www.360cities.net/image/curiosity-rover-martian-solar-day-3
                        It takes 30 images from the Left 34mmm Mastcam to capture 360 degrees. The
                        pictures are 1200X1200
                        The pano I created worked out the FoV of the Left Mastcam to 14.8°. The Right
                        Mastcam has a much narrower FoV. Look at the pictures of the Sun Dial.
                        http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?s=3

                        --
                        Jim Watters
                        http://photocreations.ca
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 18, 2012

                          Also many people talk about how good the new images from the Curiosity will be but actually the technology is almost the same and resolution will just be slightly larger. From the first one they posted I can see that a360 is around 29000 pixels

                          Hans

                          Hans. I think there are some details missing from the panorama picture from Mars. See this link. ;o)
                          https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/264684_372169166189279_569166779_n.jpg

                          Per