Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: totally OT: some czechs who drove from prague to south africa

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 8, 2012
      I have only heard of this part of the train track.

      When I was down south in Cusco/Machu Picchu/Puno etc. I traveled with a group of German and Austrian tourists in a private transport,  We did however take the train to Machu Picchu, but it was from Ollantaytambo, and from there it is without such interesting back and forth moves.

      Trausti

      On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 8:00 AM, Carl von Einem <einem@...> wrote:

      Hi Don,

      Posted by: "Don Bain" on Tue Aug 7, 2012 6:12 pm ((PDT))
      > [...]

      > BTW, the term originated with railroads, which literally
      > switched tracks at each hairpin, usually running alternate
      > legs in reverse.

      I once took the train from Cuzco to Machu Picchu. Directly after leaving
      the train station in Cuzco the train climbs up the hill back and forth
      using this type of switchbacks you described. You can see it nicely on
      this map:
      <http://osm.org/?mlat=-13.5215&mlon=-71.9835&zoom=16&layers=T>

      Trausti and Willy, who of you has a pano of this? :-)

      Carl