Re: [PanoToolsNG] Using align_image_stack for many many images

  • Bruno Postle
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 7, 2012
      On Tue 07-Aug-2012 at 22:57 +0200, Jonas Wagner wrote:

      > PS:
      > I am attaching my script to this mail for future reference. Would people
      > be interested in a tutorial on the wiki, e.g. titled "using hugin-tools
      > to de-shake movies"?

      Yes, I think that would be a useful tutorial.

      I have a couple of handheld fisheye recordings that I keep intending
      to de-shake like this, but never get around to it, your experience
      with this will be invaluable.

      --
      Bruno
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 7, 2012
        Deshaker for Virtualdub works pretty well for this
        http://www.guthspot.se/video/deshaker.htm
        .. and removes rolling shutter as well to some extent

        or PTGui will do it if the camera is not moving through the scene -- I often use PTGui for stabilizing static handheld fisheye movies

        or if you know your way around Blender 3d here is a workflow from Photoscan 3d
        http://www.agisoft.ru/products/photoscan/
        1)download Agisoft Lens (free) and calibrate your fisheye lens -- by photographing a grid on the screen
        2) download Photoscan 3d (demo)and align your fisheye sequence and export the camera tracking info as *.chan format using this plugin
        http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/Nuke
        ... into a recent version of Blender3d (2.63). (The demo version of Photoscan 3d will work for this export)

        3)From there there is a not so simple (but quick once you set it up) way of smoothing the motion curve data to stabilize the shot. There is a new GPU accelerated plug-in renderer Microrender
        http://www.msbsoftware.it/microrender/
        for Blender (not free but cheap) that will give the option of rendering your stabilized fisheye movie in various formats very quickly --eg. cylindrical, fisheye, equirectangular etc

        PeterM

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:

        > On Tue 07-Aug-2012 at 22:57 +0200, Jonas Wagner wrote:
        > >
        > > PS:
        > > I am attaching my script to this mail for future reference. Would people
        > > be interested in a tutorial on the wiki, e.g. titled "using hugin-tools
        > > to de-shake movies"?
        >
        > Yes, I think that would be a useful tutorial.
        >
        > I have a couple of handheld fisheye recordings that I keep intending
        > to de-shake like this, but never get around to it, your experience
        > with this will be invaluable.
        >
        > --
        > Bruno

      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 8, 2012
          Here is an example of Deshaker for Virtualdub in action:
          here is the original footage
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l2f0uvEhV8 (Gopro fisheye)
          and here it is stabilised with Deshaker
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugp01bhwiWM

          One advantage of Deshaker is that it records the tracking in one step and then it applies the stabilisation in a second step. So if it is a stereo pair say, where the second camera is rigidly attached to the first, you can apply the same stabilisation data to the second camera -- so you dont get any stereo jitter from stabilising the footage separately. This sequence was two cameras actually -- here is the stabilised stereo result.

          Virtualdub can load (and output) image sequences as well as well as video formats

          PeterM

          > Deshaker for Virtualdub works pretty well for this
          > http://www.guthspot.se/video/deshaker.htm
          > .. and removes rolling shutter as well to some extent
          >
          > or PTGui will do it if the camera is not moving through the scene -- I often use PTGui for stabilizing static handheld fisheye movies
          >
          > or if you know your way around Blender 3d here is a workflow from Photoscan 3d
          > http://www.agisoft.ru/products/photoscan/
          > 1)download Agisoft Lens (free) and calibrate your fisheye lens -- by photographing a grid on the screen
          > 2) download Photoscan 3d (demo)and align your fisheye sequence and export the camera tracking info as *.chan format using this plugin
          > http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/Nuke
          > ... into a recent version of Blender3d (2.63). (The demo version of Photoscan 3d will work for this export)
          >
          > 3)From there there is a not so simple (but quick once you set it up) way of smoothing the motion curve data to stabilize the shot. There is a new GPU accelerated plug-in renderer Microrender
          > http://www.msbsoftware.it/microrender/
          > for Blender (not free but cheap) that will give the option of rendering your stabilized fisheye movie in various formats very quickly --eg. cylindrical, fisheye, equirectangular etc
          >
          > PeterM
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@> wrote:
          > >
          > > On Tue 07-Aug-2012 at 22:57 +0200, Jonas Wagner wrote:
          > > >
          > > > PS:
          > > > I am attaching my script to this mail for future reference. Would people
          > > > be interested in a tutorial on the wiki, e.g. titled "using hugin-tools
          > > > to de-shake movies"?
          > >
          > > Yes, I think that would be a useful tutorial.
          > >
          > > I have a couple of handheld fisheye recordings that I keep intending
          > > to de-shake like this, but never get around to it, your experience
          > > with this will be invaluable.
          > >
          > > --
          > > Bruno

        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 8, 2012
            Arrgh! I remember now -- I stabilized these sequences with PTGui after trying Virtualdub. PTGui was better because I could isolate the point finding to the areas where there were no people jumping about ie. the top of the buildings -- and of course you can swap out the images in PTGui with the other camera's images for stereo stabilization. Virtualdub might be faster but the masking feature of PTGui is significant sometimes and PTGui knows about fisheyes.

            PeterM

            > Here is an example of Deshaker for Virtualdub in action:
            > here is the original footage
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l2f0uvEhV8 (Gopro fisheye)
            > and here it is stabilised with Deshaker
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugp01bhwiWM
            >
            > One advantage of Deshaker is that it records the tracking in one step and then it applies the stabilisation in a second step. So if it is a stereo pair say, where the second camera is rigidly attached to the first, you can apply the same stabilisation data to the second camera -- so you dont get any stereo jitter from stabilising the footage separately. This sequence was two cameras actually -- here is the stabilised stereo result.
            >
            > Virtualdub can load (and output) image sequences as well as well as video formats

          • giant_klobasa_monster
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 8, 2012
              Hi Jonas,

              you know there is already a very sophisticated plugin for virtualdub for deshaking movies, it's called deshaker. It also takes into account rolling shutter, which is essential for this type of application.

              Jeffrey

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jonas Wagner <j.b.w@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > after Bruno's encouraging mail, I have dived a bit deeper into the
              > command line tools that come with Hugin. I now found a sequence of
              > commands that works pretty well.
              >
              > I am attaching my script to this mail for future reference. Would people
              > be interested in a tutorial on the wiki, e.g. titled "using hugin-tools
              > to de-shake movies"?
              >
              > Best,
              > Jonas
              >

              > On 07/23/2012 11:11 PM, Bruno Postle wrote:
              > > On Mon 23-Jul-2012 at 22:58 +0200, Jonas Wagner wrote:
              > > >
              > > >I'm trying to use align_image_stack to align a sequence of images for a
              > > >time-lapse movie.
              > >
              > > >1) select one day's worth of pictures (about 1000 images excluding the
              > > night)
              > > >2) naƮvely call align_image_stack -a prefix -g 3 <all 1000 pics>
              > >
              > > >Do you have any hints how I could
              > > >- change the output format to something different than .tif files?
              > > >- optimize settings for align_image_stack (-g3 already helps speeding
              > > > up control point optimization, but there are other settings I don't
              > > > understand)
              > >
              > > You can use the align_image_stack -p option to output a Hugin
              > > project file instead of rendering TIFF images.
              > >
              > > This .pto project can then be used with nona to render one frame at
              > > a time, it should also be possible to render them as JPEG.
              > >
              > > It might be faster to process smaller batches of photos and merge
              > > the resulting .pto project files together with pto_merge, in this
              > > case you will also need to optimise the combined project so the
              > > second set of photos aligns with the first etc...
              > >
              > > --
              > > Bruno

            • Jonas Wagner
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 12, 2012
                Hi

                > you know there is already a very sophisticated plugin for virtualdub for
                > deshaking movies, it's called deshaker. It also takes into account
                > rolling shutter, which is essential for this type of application.

                It's what I ended up using because the hugin-tools script I built was
                not robust enough. For example, autooptimizer does nothing (at all) when
                there exists a pair of adjacent images without control points. I could
                add those manually... but then there were other aspects that required
                tweaking, so I gave up.

                The result is pretty neat, though... you can see it at
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDuunwpDrb8

                Cheers,
                Jonas