Re: [PanoToolsNG] A news article I saw: Impressive new approach to super-resolution processing developed

  • A Kielcz
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2012
      so, how do you do it?

      A Kielcz
      Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

      From: Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>
      To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, August 3, 2012 11:00 AM
      Subject: [PanoToolsNG] A news article I saw: Impressive new approach to super-resolution processing developed

      http://www.gizmag.com/super-resolution-weizmann-institute/23486/

      "Ever taken a digital photograph and then found out you had missed the fine details that made the scene so impressive visually? Applying a Photoshop sharpen filter may make the photo appear sharper, but such filters are lossy – they actually reduce the amount of fine detail in the image. Until recently, there was very little you could do to improve the image after the shot. Researchers at the Weizmann Institute of Science have now developed a super-resolution process which pulls unseen details from the nooks and crannies of a single digital photograph. Their process can capture true detail which cannot be seen in the original image – the next "killer app"?"

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Ian Wood
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2012
        As usual, Gizmag add a fair bit of hyperbole. ;-)

        It's not 'true detail' as such, it's interpolated detail created by looking at other similar types of detail in the image and using superpositioning techniques to create sub-pixel detail.

        Still very impressive though.

        Ian

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2012
          Am 03.08.2012 17:00, schrieb Ken Warner:
          > http://www.gizmag.com/super-resolution-weizmann-institute/23486/

          Well, the article is about a three year old paper - strange there is no
          application of this technique since then. Also strange they always
          compare to bicubic interpolation, while there are much better algorithms
          since years. Even Fred Miranda's decade old "stair interpolation" gives
          better results, not to speak of state of the art algorithms like f.e.
          implemented in QImage:
          http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/tech-fus.htm