Re: For Sale: Samsung 8mm/3.5 EOS mount

  • Uri
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2012
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" <TKSharpless@...> wrote:

      > > > For those who don't know it, the Samyang 8mm is a full-frame, not circular, fisheye for APS-C. It is a manual lens and is not suitable for full frame cameras. Due to its unique stereographic projection, it has a field of view like a 9.5mm conventional fisheye, about 155 x 122 degrees. This projection gives nicely balanced resolution across the field and makes it a very 'easy stitching' lens.
      > > >
      > > > This is an increasingly popular lens with spherical pano shooters, not just because it is amazingly cheap, but because it is a good lens regardless of price; sharp and with very clean color. Its only fault compared to much higher priced lenses is worse flare in direct sunlight. On an EOS 7D it gives 65 megapixel equis (11,400 x 5,700). I normally take 6 shots, or 8 hand-held, but 5 is feasible from a tripod.

      The Samyang (or Rokinon, or Bower, etc.) 8mm will work just fine in full-frame cameras if it's "shaved" or if the sunshade is removed entirely. Just 4 shots or even 3(?) all around. Tobias Vollmer <info@...> offers a shaving service for 60 Euros, and there are some videos that illustrate the process on YouTube.
    • Uri
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2012
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" <TKSharpless@...> wrote:

        > > > For those who don't know it, the Samyang 8mm is a full-frame, not circular, >fisheye for APS-C. It is a manual lens and is not suitable for full frame cameras. Due to its unique stereographic projection, it has a field of view like a 9.5mm conventional fisheye, about 155 x 122 degrees. This projection gives nicely balanced resolution across the field and makes it a very 'easy stitching' lens.

        The Samyang (or Rokinon, or Bower, etc.) 8mm will work just fine in full-frame
        cameras if it's "shaved" or if the sunshade is removed entirely. Just 4 shots or
        even 3(?) all around. Tobias Vollmer <info@...> offers a shaving service
        for 60 Euros, and there are some videos that illustrate the process on YouTube.

        I believe that Rokinon is about to release a version of that same lens with a removable lens shade.
      • prague
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2012
          Yes! Samyang 8mm shaved, it's 3 shots around on fullframe!

          http://www.360cities.net/search/tequila-@author-jeffrey-martin-

          a few hundred panoramas I shot a couple years ago in tequila mexico

          3 shots around with bracketing on a canon 5d (mark 1)

          or you can view these on the world map
          http://www.360cities.net/map#lat=20.88278&lng=-103.83667&zoom=14