Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Astro Time-Lapse Rotary Intervalometer

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2012
      That figure IS given somewhere, I remember seeing it. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was, only that it was fast, of the order of a second or so? That, and the fact it's rated to carry 5kg, encourage me to believe it will work for panoramas. It can be programmed to stop for each shutter release or to keep rotating...

      It won't do many rotations per set of batteries, though. I think it was eight to ten or so.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Aug 3, 2012, at 5:35 AM, "g8dhe" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > Roger, Do you know how fast it can turn ?
      > I've watched the video, read the comments but nowhere does it say how quickly it can rotate ?
      > He mentions a Panorama mode, but doesn't explain it ?

    • g8dhe
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2012
        Hi Roger, Yes I found it seconds after making the post of course! It's 30°/Second, so yes quite fast! The other factor that might be of significance to us is how well it can support an off-centre load, as in a Pano head where the weight distribution is all to one side. I note however that they propose to use it as a an elevation motor as well, so that might indicate that it can support such loads.
      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2012
          On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 05:21:03 +0900, g8dhe <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > Hi Roger, Yes I found it seconds after making the post of course! It's
          > 30°/Second, so yes quite fast! The other factor that might be of
          > significance to us is how well it can support an off-centre load, as in
          > a Pano head where the weight distribution is all to one side. I note
          > however that they propose to use it as a an elevation motor as well, so
          > that might indicate that it can support such loads.

          Yes, that was my reaction on hearing they intended to approve it for
          vertical panoramas, not just horizontal. We shall see.

          30 degrees per second is still 12 seconds for a complete rotation, which
          is slow enough to indicate quite a high degree of gearing and, of course,
          correspondingly high torque.

          The flat, squat design should mean that if it is seated securely on a
          rigid tripod it shouldn't waggle under an off-centre load.

          For years my ideal was a circular image fisheye used on a monopod to
          take four around with neither zenith nor nadir. But since I started
          using the Pentax 10-15 zoom and need to take more shots and clearly
          need both zenith and nadir, I have discovered just how good the Nodal
          Ninja III is, and have REdiscovered full multi-exposure bracketing
          for true HDR. This rotary intervalometer is going to make it all
          much more automatic, if I can get it to work well with my Pentax
          gear now I've decided to use nothing else.

          Roger W.

          --
          Business: www.adex-japan.com
          Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger