Clamping carbon fiber poles --- dead whale

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2012
      http://www.mediavr.com/whalenewport/whalenewport.html
      .. here is a pole scene - with a 5m elevation - of people coming to see a dead whale on a Sydney beach a couple of days ago (the whale is in the rock pool). This is with a Nodal Ninja pole -- supported by the levelling base I've been using for metal pole shots previously.
      http://www.mediavr.com/levellingbase.jpg

      Before I got the (carbon fiber) NN pole I was concerned that I couldnt clamp it safely with those kinds (Manfrotto) of clamps you see in the pic because the pressure is not even all the way around the pole. It is only at two or three points. Carbon fiber is not stong under those kinds of compression.
      But I was able to clamp it enough to be secure without using too much pressure. NN sell a clamp system to secure the pole to an adjacent tripod but nothing yet for a heavy duty low profile base support. With other carbon fibre (window cleaning) poles I have I generally install a close fitting aluminium tube as a sleeve on the base segment of the pole to reinforce it) when clamping them but the NN pole seems to have enough solidity to clamp directly, even with close to the base mounting points.

      PeterM

      PeterM
    • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2012
        No dinamite involved to remove the whale, I suppose.

        --
        L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
        felipe@...

      • Bostjan Burger
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2012
          I use pole combo of Wolf-Garten pole ( http://www.wolf-garten.de/produkte/boden/multi-starr-stiele/detail-multi-star-stiele/?tx_sytproductdb_pi26%5BshowUid%5D=113&cHash=0b41e933ba ). With some practice you can get the height to about 6 m. I have got idea when I was gardening on my garden and found that the pole is very stable even for horizontal position and for heavy load. It is easy to get that pole, almost in every shop for gardening and the price is bargain.
          I have modified only the holder - about 5 min. of work and I can fix on any pano-head. In case you I don't want handheld, I use my Manffroto 540 tripod which can carry the W-G pole.

          Bostjan