Re: mirrorless for pano's?

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 2, 2012
      The Samyang 7.5mm is the lightest high quality fisheye. As Karel's pictures show, it is a very sharp and clean lens, suitable for professional panography. With a good micro 4/3 camera you could not get a lighter rig.
      I myself use the Samyang 7.5 on a Sony NEX-5n, which is a tad heavier but has a bigger APS-C sensor and superb image quality. Here is a set of panos shot with that combination (handheld short pole, 4 around + nadir): http://tksharpless.net/FlashPanos/PAFASnaps.html
      The NEX cameras have no wired remote but the -5N model can be modified fairly easily. Here's how I 'hotwired' mine so I can use it on a pole with a normal radio remote http://tksharpless.net/gear/NEX-5N/hotwire.jpg.

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "karelgil" <karel@...> wrote:

      > For my 'lightweight' pano's I started with an Olympus E-P1 + Samyang 7.5 mm FE. And I did like that combo so much that I recently swapped the E-P1 for an E-M5 for some better IQ and more pixels.
      >
      > As a matter of fact I use this setup for 90% of my pano's now.
      >
      > Here is an example of the E-P1+Samyang : http://360vr.nl/WMSin/
      > (shot in the autumn with a low sun)
      >
      > And here a recent one with the E-M5: http://360vr.nl/Gent/
      >
      > Karel
      >
      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik" <tived@> wrote:
      > >

      > > hi guys,
      > >
      > > i recently injured my back at work, and it isn't looking too good.
      > >
      > > i have uptill now been using Canon 1-series and L-lenses for my
      > > photography, but its now too heavy if i want to persuit photography
      > > and in particular pano's
      > >

      > > What are you guys using, whats working really well, i have been
      > > wanting to get a robotic head, i have been shooting HDR panos so far.
      > > And is there something like the promote that works with the mirrorless
      > > system.
      > >
      > > Sorry if this has been covered before
      > >
      > > thanks
      > >
      > > Henrik

    • Henrik
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 3, 2012

        Thanks very much, very good looking pano's both of them.

        I do more mosaic;s and HDR.... do you do any of this and do you use anything to go beyond the camera's ability to do bracketing, such as a Promote (i know this one is not compatible but similar products)

        thanks Henrik
        Henrik Tived

        [PanoToolsNG] Re: mirrorless for pano's?

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik" wrote:

        > hi guys,
        >
        > i recently injured my back at work, and it isn't looking too good.
        >
        > i have uptill now been using Canon 1-series and L-lenses for my
        > photography, but its now too heavy if i want to persuit photography
        > and in particular pano's
        >

        > What are you guys using, whats working really well, i have been
        > wanting to get a robotic head, i have been shooting HDR panos so far.
        > And is there something like the promote that works with the mirrorless
        > system.
        >
        > Sorry if this has been covered before
        >
        > thanks
        >
        > Henrik

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        @...>
      • Henrik
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 3, 2012

          Thanks Thomas & Karel,

          very impressive, and indeed a light kit. Thanks for sharing. Hmm decision... I am heartbroken just by the thought of giving my Canon Kit up ;-) but as its looking at the moment, carrying camera with multiple lenses isn't going to work at the moment. Unless I can do a very good recovery, but there the odds are against me, but I am trying to beat the odds

          thanks very much for your insight to both you and Karel

          Henrik Tived

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "karelgil" wrote:

          > For my 'lightweight' pano's I started with an Olympus E-P1 + Samyang 7.5 mm FE. And I did like that combo so much that I recently swapped the E-P1 for an E-M5 for some better IQ and more pixels.
          >
          > As a matter of fact I use this setup for 90% of my pano's now.
          >
          > Here is an example of the E-P1+Samyang : http://360vr.nl/WMSin/
          > (shot in the autumn with a low sun)
          >
          > And here a recent one with the E-M5: http://360vr.nl/Gent/
          >
          > Karel
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik" wrote:
          > >

          > > hi guys,
          > >
          > > i recently injured my back at work, and it isn't looking too good.
          > >
          > > i have uptill now been using Canon 1-series and L-lenses for my
          > > photography, but its now too heavy if i want to persuit photography
          > > and in particular pano's
          > >

          > > What are you guys using, whats working really well, i have been
          > > wanting to get a robotic head, i have been shooting HDR panos so far.
          > > And is there something like the promote that works with the mirrorless
          > > system.
          > >
          > > Sorry if this has been covered before
          > >
          > > thanks
          > >
          > > Henrik

          <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
          PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          @>@...>
        • karelgil
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 4, 2012
            Thanks Henrik for the compliment.

            As a matter of fact: the more i use the E-M5 the less need I feel to carry my heavy stuff with me.
            It is a nice versatile and weatherproof little camera and there a some seriously good lenses for it (the new 75mm 1.8 from Oly, for instance)
            It is also good in the higher ISO regions.

            I only think you should buy the additional battery-grip with it, as it gives a more sturdy handling and (important for us) moves the tripod connection to the centre of the lens.

          • prague
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 5, 2012
              how does the samyang 7.5mm compare to the panasonic 8mm for the gf2 and similar cameras?

            • Trausti Hraunfjord

                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 6, 2012

                  Thanks Trausti, Lots of physio, excersices - walking... I am just hoping that I can keep shooting - thats what I enjoy

                  Henrik Tived

                  Re: [PanoToolsNG] mirrorless for pano's?