Re: mirrorless for pano's?

  • karelgil
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 2, 2012
      For my 'lightweight' pano's I started with an Olympus E-P1 + Samyang 7.5 mm FE. And I did like that combo so much that I recently swapped the E-P1 for an E-M5 for some better IQ and more pixels.

      As a matter of fact I use this setup for 90% of my pano's now.

      Here is an example of the E-P1+Samyang : http://360vr.nl/WMSin/
      (shot in the autumn with a low sun)

      And here a recent one with the E-M5: http://360vr.nl/Gent/

      Karel

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik" <tived@...> wrote:

      > hi guys,
      >
      > i recently injured my back at work, and it isn't looking too good.
      >
      > i have uptill now been using Canon 1-series and L-lenses for my
      > photography, but its now too heavy if i want to persuit photography
      > and in particular pano's
      >

      > What are you guys using, whats working really well, i have been
      > wanting to get a robotic head, i have been shooting HDR panos so far.
      > And is there something like the promote that works with the mirrorless
      > system.
      >
      > Sorry if this has been covered before
      >
      > thanks
      >
      > Henrik

    • Thomas
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 2, 2012
        The Samyang 7.5mm is the lightest high quality fisheye. As Karel's pictures show, it is a very sharp and clean lens, suitable for professional panography. With a good micro 4/3 camera you could not get a lighter rig.
        I myself use the Samyang 7.5 on a Sony NEX-5n, which is a tad heavier but has a bigger APS-C sensor and superb image quality. Here is a set of panos shot with that combination (handheld short pole, 4 around + nadir): http://tksharpless.net/FlashPanos/PAFASnaps.html
        The NEX cameras have no wired remote but the -5N model can be modified fairly easily. Here's how I 'hotwired' mine so I can use it on a pole with a normal radio remote http://tksharpless.net/gear/NEX-5N/hotwire.jpg.

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "karelgil" <karel@...> wrote:

        > For my 'lightweight' pano's I started with an Olympus E-P1 + Samyang 7.5 mm FE. And I did like that combo so much that I recently swapped the E-P1 for an E-M5 for some better IQ and more pixels.
        >
        > As a matter of fact I use this setup for 90% of my pano's now.
        >
        > Here is an example of the E-P1+Samyang : http://360vr.nl/WMSin/
        > (shot in the autumn with a low sun)
        >
        > And here a recent one with the E-M5: http://360vr.nl/Gent/
        >
        > Karel
        >
        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik" <tived@> wrote:
        > >

        > > hi guys,
        > >
        > > i recently injured my back at work, and it isn't looking too good.
        > >
        > > i have uptill now been using Canon 1-series and L-lenses for my
        > > photography, but its now too heavy if i want to persuit photography
        > > and in particular pano's
        > >

        > > What are you guys using, whats working really well, i have been
        > > wanting to get a robotic head, i have been shooting HDR panos so far.
        > > And is there something like the promote that works with the mirrorless
        > > system.
        > >
        > > Sorry if this has been covered before
        > >
        > > thanks
        > >
        > > Henrik

      • Henrik
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 3, 2012

          Thanks very much, very good looking pano's both of them.

          I do more mosaic;s and HDR.... do you do any of this and do you use anything to go beyond the camera's ability to do bracketing, such as a Promote (i know this one is not compatible but similar products)

          thanks Henrik
          Henrik Tived

          [PanoToolsNG] Re: mirrorless for pano's?

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik" wrote:

          > hi guys,
          >
          > i recently injured my back at work, and it isn't looking too good.
          >
          > i have uptill now been using Canon 1-series and L-lenses for my
          > photography, but its now too heavy if i want to persuit photography
          > and in particular pano's
          >

          > What are you guys using, whats working really well, i have been
          > wanting to get a robotic head, i have been shooting HDR panos so far.
          > And is there something like the promote that works with the mirrorless
          > system.
          >
          > Sorry if this has been covered before
          >
          > thanks
          >
          > Henrik

          <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
          PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          @...>
        • Henrik
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 3, 2012

            Thanks Thomas & Karel,

            very impressive, and indeed a light kit. Thanks for sharing. Hmm decision... I am heartbroken just by the thought of giving my Canon Kit up ;-) but as its looking at the moment, carrying camera with multiple lenses isn't going to work at the moment. Unless I can do a very good recovery, but there the odds are against me, but I am trying to beat the odds

            thanks very much for your insight to both you and Karel

            Henrik Tived

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "karelgil" wrote:

            > For my 'lightweight' pano's I started with an Olympus E-P1 + Samyang 7.5 mm FE. And I did like that combo so much that I recently swapped the E-P1 for an E-M5 for some better IQ and more pixels.
            >
            > As a matter of fact I use this setup for 90% of my pano's now.
            >
            > Here is an example of the E-P1+Samyang : http://360vr.nl/WMSin/
            > (shot in the autumn with a low sun)
            >
            > And here a recent one with the E-M5: http://360vr.nl/Gent/
            >
            > Karel
            >
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik" wrote:
            > >

            > > hi guys,
            > >
            > > i recently injured my back at work, and it isn't looking too good.
            > >
            > > i have uptill now been using Canon 1-series and L-lenses for my
            > > photography, but its now too heavy if i want to persuit photography
            > > and in particular pano's
            > >

            > > What are you guys using, whats working really well, i have been
            > > wanting to get a robotic head, i have been shooting HDR panos so far.
            > > And is there something like the promote that works with the mirrorless
            > > system.
            > >
            > > Sorry if this has been covered before
            > >
            > > thanks
            > >
            > > Henrik

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            @>@...>
          • karelgil
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 4, 2012
              Thanks Henrik for the compliment.

              As a matter of fact: the more i use the E-M5 the less need I feel to carry my heavy stuff with me.
              It is a nice versatile and weatherproof little camera and there a some seriously good lenses for it (the new 75mm 1.8 from Oly, for instance)
              It is also good in the higher ISO regions.

              I only think you should buy the additional battery-grip with it, as it gives a more sturdy handling and (important for us) moves the tripod connection to the centre of the lens.

            • prague
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 5, 2012
                how does the samyang 7.5mm compare to the panasonic 8mm for the gf2 and similar cameras?

              • Trausti Hraunfjord

                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 6, 2012

                    Thanks Trausti, Lots of physio, excersices - walking... I am just hoping that I can keep shooting - thats what I enjoy

                    Henrik Tived

                    Re: [PanoToolsNG] mirrorless for pano's?