Re: For Sale: Samsung 8mm/3.5 EOS mount

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2012
      This lens will work on any APS-C size ("crop sensor") Canon EOS model, such as EOS 50D, EOS 7D, Digital Rebel, etc.

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert C. Fisher" <bob@...> wrote:

      > What DSLR is it for, Canon?
      >
      > On Aug 1, 2012, at 8:50 PM, Thomas wrote:
      >
      > > Having finally got the native NEX version of Samsnung's excellent 8mm fisheye, I'd like to sell the DSLR version I have been using. It is in very good to excellent condition, Rokinon brand. Asking $240 + shipping from Philadelphia. Proceeds will benefit the Canon 8-15 fund.
      > >
      > > For those who don't know it, the Samyang 8mm is a full-frame, not circular, fisheye for APS-C. It is a manual lens and is not suitable for full frame cameras. Due to its unique stereographic projection, it has a field of view like a 9.5mm conventional fisheye, about 155 x 122 degrees. This projection gives nicely balanced resolution across the field and makes it a very 'easy stitching' lens.
      > >
      > > This is an increasingly popular lens with spherical pano shooters, not just because it is amazingly cheap, but because it is a good lens regardless of price; sharp and with very clean color. Its only fault compared to much higher priced lenses is worse flare in direct sunlight. On an EOS 7D it gives 65 megapixel equis (11,400 x 5,700). I normally take 6 shots, or 8 hand-held, but 5 is feasible from a tripod.
      > >

      > Cheers
      > Robert C. Fisher
      > VR Photography / Cinematography
      > bob@...
      > http://www.rcfisher.com
      > Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

    • Uri
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2012
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" <TKSharpless@...> wrote:

        > > > For those who don't know it, the Samyang 8mm is a full-frame, not circular, fisheye for APS-C. It is a manual lens and is not suitable for full frame cameras. Due to its unique stereographic projection, it has a field of view like a 9.5mm conventional fisheye, about 155 x 122 degrees. This projection gives nicely balanced resolution across the field and makes it a very 'easy stitching' lens.
        > > >
        > > > This is an increasingly popular lens with spherical pano shooters, not just because it is amazingly cheap, but because it is a good lens regardless of price; sharp and with very clean color. Its only fault compared to much higher priced lenses is worse flare in direct sunlight. On an EOS 7D it gives 65 megapixel equis (11,400 x 5,700). I normally take 6 shots, or 8 hand-held, but 5 is feasible from a tripod.

        The Samyang (or Rokinon, or Bower, etc.) 8mm will work just fine in full-frame cameras if it's "shaved" or if the sunshade is removed entirely. Just 4 shots or even 3(?) all around. Tobias Vollmer <info@...> offers a shaving service for 60 Euros, and there are some videos that illustrate the process on YouTube.
      • Uri
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2012
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" <TKSharpless@...> wrote:

          > > > For those who don't know it, the Samyang 8mm is a full-frame, not circular, >fisheye for APS-C. It is a manual lens and is not suitable for full frame cameras. Due to its unique stereographic projection, it has a field of view like a 9.5mm conventional fisheye, about 155 x 122 degrees. This projection gives nicely balanced resolution across the field and makes it a very 'easy stitching' lens.

          The Samyang (or Rokinon, or Bower, etc.) 8mm will work just fine in full-frame
          cameras if it's "shaved" or if the sunshade is removed entirely. Just 4 shots or
          even 3(?) all around. Tobias Vollmer <info@...> offers a shaving service
          for 60 Euros, and there are some videos that illustrate the process on YouTube.

          I believe that Rokinon is about to release a version of that same lens with a removable lens shade.
        • prague
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2012
            Yes! Samyang 8mm shaved, it's 3 shots around on fullframe!

            http://www.360cities.net/search/tequila-@author-jeffrey-martin-

            a few hundred panoramas I shot a couple years ago in tequila mexico

            3 shots around with bracketing on a canon 5d (mark 1)

            or you can view these on the world map
            http://www.360cities.net/map#lat=20.88278&lng=-103.83667&zoom=14