That damaged panorama

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2012
      I've decided to post a link to that panorama I carelessly spoiled by allowing the
      fisheye zoom ratio to change.

      I did take a zenith, but there was nowhere at all that it touched any of the other
      photos, so although I could put it roughly in place because I knew where the
      chandelier was, I gave up on that.

      The nadir was my first using the Nodal Ninja nadir bracket, and I didn't realise
      you really need to take two nadirs with it. The result was I had to do some
      pretty heavy cloning. If there were a Nobel prize for cloning I'd be a candidate
      I'm sure.

      One thing defeated me, though. There was a chair with a missing leg, so if any
      PhotoShop experts can suggest how I might use the visible leg to fudge the
      invisible one, I'd be grateful.

      Why do I show such a defective panorama? Well, I do believe it shows what a
      simple "default" process using SNS-HDR (Home) can do with a rather wide
      range of ambient lighting. And as a terrible warning of what can happen when
      you use a zoom fisheye. I am sure I could easily tweak it to look better but
      I've already spent too much time on this...

      At least I seem to have got the NPP right. Otherwise there's far too little
      overlap to have allowed for successful stitching.

      I am really, really getting to like this lens! Here's the link... would welcome
      any comments.

      Roger

      https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygfsf2idjhynk2s/_IGP4059-HDR%283%29%20Panorama.jpg

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
    • Uri
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2012

        > One thing defeated me, though. There was a chair with a missing leg, so if
        > any
        > PhotoShop experts can suggest how I might use the visible leg to fudge the
        > invisible one, I'd be grateful.

        I converted your panorama to 6 cube faces (PTGui Pro or Pano2VR)and edited the bottom cube face in Photoshop. Selected and copied the one remaining leg, flipped it, and pasted it in place of the missing leg. Some judicious resizing and skewing plus a bit of careful blurring, etc. almost fixed it. Another half an hour or so in Photoshop and it would have been acceptable. I will send you a low-res copy of that cube face privately.

        Another big problem with that panorama is the blurred "ghosting" of the woman's face. Some HDR programs let you deal with ghosts but it's always difficult.

        The lack of zenith can be dealt with by restricting the angle of view. This can also take care of the bad nadir. You could easily convert the whole thing to a cylindrical panorama...
      • Roger D Williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2012
          Thank you, Uri.

          Sent from my iPad

          On Aug 3, 2012, at 9:02 AM, "Uri" <uri@...> wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:
          >

          >> One thing defeated me, though. There was a chair with a missing leg, so if
          >> any
          >> PhotoShop experts can suggest how I might use the visible leg to fudge the
          >> invisible one, I'd be grateful.
          >

          > I converted your panorama to 6 cube faces (PTGui Pro or Pano2VR)and edited the bottom cube face in Photoshop. Selected and copied the one remaining leg, flipped it, and pasted it in place of the missing leg. Some judicious resizing and skewing plus a bit of careful blurring, etc. almost fixed it. Another half an hour or so in Photoshop and it would have been acceptable. I will send you a low-res copy of that cube face privately.

          Look forward to it. John Houghton already sent me something similar but as a finished panorama.

          > Another big problem with that panorama is the blurred "ghosting" of the woman's face. Some HDR programs let you deal with ghosts but it's always difficult.

          Yes, this ghosting in HDR processing is the reason I usually try to get away with pseudo HDR from a single RAW image, which is often viable now that noise levels are so much lower and underexposed areas can be brought up into the light without looking awful. That woman sir, is my wife! (grin)

          > The lack of zenith can be dealt with by restricting the angle of view. This can also take care of the bad nadir. You could easily convert the whole thing to a cylindrical panorama...

          Yes indeed. I initially created a cylindrical version. When I first started taking panoramas they were ALL cylindrical. It was years before I got the 360x180 bug. You're right about restricting the FOV, of course...

          Roger W.

          PS I can see that copying, flipping, and transforming techniques might enable me to cover up the holes in the curtains (RHS) and the picture frame (over the fireplace). But I find PS very hard...
        • gregoryarbit
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2012
            Hi Roger,
            Just for practice I fix chair as well.For more realistic look I added

            shadow.I used the patch input feature in Pano2Vr.
            This is the link:
            https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6109660/_IGP4059-HDR%283%29%20Panorama_chair.jpg

            Thank you for sharing, I will definitely try this HDR software.
            Gregory

            > I've decided to post a link to that panorama I carelessly spoiled by
            > allowing the
            > fisheye zoom ratio to change.
            >
            > I did take a zenith, but there was nowhere at all that it touched any of
            > the other
            > photos, so although I could put it roughly in place because I knew where
            > the
            > chandelier was, I gave up on that.
            >
            > The nadir was my first using the Nodal Ninja nadir bracket, and I didn't
            > realise
            > you really need to take two nadirs with it. The result was I had to do some
            > pretty heavy cloning. If there were a Nobel prize for cloning I'd be a
            > candidate
            > I'm sure.
            >
            > One thing defeated me, though. There was a chair with a missing leg, so if
            > any
            > PhotoShop experts can suggest how I might use the visible leg to fudge the
            > invisible one, I'd be grateful.
            >
            > Why do I show such a defective panorama? Well, I do believe it shows what a
            > simple "default" process using SNS-HDR (Home) can do with a rather wide
            > range of ambient lighting. And as a terrible warning of what can happen
            > when
            > you use a zoom fisheye. I am sure I could easily tweak it to look better
            > but
            > I've already spent too much time on this...
            >
            > At least I seem to have got the NPP right. Otherwise there's far too little
            > overlap to have allowed for successful stitching.
            >
            > I am really, really getting to like this lens! Here's the link... would
            > welcome
            > any comments.
            >
            > Roger
            >
            > https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygfsf2idjhynk2s/_IGP4059-HDR%283%29%20Panorama.jpg
            >
            > --
            > Business: www.adex-japan.com
            > Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
            > Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

          • Roger D Williams
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2012
              Thank you very much, Gregory. You must be a real wizard with graphics... I have idea how to do something that looks this good!

              Roger W.

              Sent from my iPad

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2012
                Am 03.08.2012 02:43, schrieb Roger D Williams:
                > Yes, this ghosting in HDR processing is the reason I usually try to
                > get away with pseudo HDR from a single RAW image, which is often
                > viable now that noise levels are so much lower and underexposed areas
                > can be brought up into the light without looking awful. That woman
                > sir, is my wife! (grin)

                You can either use a non-merged image for the face (just remap the one
                image, paste it as layer in photoshop and paint a mask). Or - if this
                doesn't work out due to different contrast - do a pseudo HDR just of the
                one image. I do this often if I can't successfully align handheld
                bracketed shots.

              • Roger D Williams
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 3, 2012
                  Aha! Good idea. Thanks... I'll try that. I ran into the problem of wrong contrast, etc., when I tried pasting in one of the set of images but I didn't think of using pseudo HDR to get it closer to what was needed.

                  Roger W.

                  Sent from my iPad