mirrorless for pano's?

  • Henrik
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 2, 2012

      hi guys,

      i recently injured my back at work, and it isn't looking too good.

      i have uptill now been using Canon 1-series and L-lenses for my photography, but its now too heavy if i want to persuit photography and in particular pano's

      What are you guys using, whats working really well, i have been wanting to get a robotic head, i have been shooting HDR panos so far. And is there something like the promote that works with the mirrorless system.

      Sorry if this has been covered before

      thanks

      Henrik

    • dorindxn
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 2, 2012
        Hey Dorin, it worked, the only thing left is to make a sexy looking way to attach the optical adio cable to IR remote and to the camera as well (in front to IR receiver of the camera of course)

        I used this kind of audio cable
        http://www.electronix.com/30ft-toslinktoslink-22mm-digital-audio-cable-p-19036.html

        the trick is to not remove the translucide parts from top.

        I'll be back when the attaching sollution is finished.

        cheers,
        Dorin

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dorin@..." <Dorin@...> wrote:

        > Just curious, anyone tried to "extend" an IR remote with an optical audio
        > cable?
        > might work..
        >
        > cheers,
        > Dorin
        >
        > Monday, July 23, 2012, 7:16:20 PM, you wrote:
        >
        > > I don't think so. But it does have a hot shoe that you can put something like this in:
        >
        > > http://www.kleptography.com/rf/remote_lx5_640.jpg
        >
        > > I bent a piece of aluminum and bolted it to my pano head and glued
        > > a manual cable release to it. Works ok on my C3. Looks like crap.
        >
        > > I've asked Richard Franiec to think about making a manual cable
        > > release adapter for the NEX cameras. Maybe if enough people ask for one he will.
        >
        > > http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_lx3
        >

        > > On 7/23/2012 8:53 AM, luca vascon wrote:
        > >> Anybody knows if it is possible to remote the camera? Even simply
        > >> triggering the shutter could be enough.
        > >> I'm so pissed off with nex5, epl1 and GF2. NO ONE has a wired remote.
        > >>

        > --
        > Best regards,
        > Dorin mailto:dorin@...

      • karelgil
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 2, 2012
          For my 'lightweight' pano's I started with an Olympus E-P1 + Samyang 7.5 mm FE. And I did like that combo so much that I recently swapped the E-P1 for an E-M5 for some better IQ and more pixels.

          As a matter of fact I use this setup for 90% of my pano's now.

          Here is an example of the E-P1+Samyang : http://360vr.nl/WMSin/
          (shot in the autumn with a low sun)

          And here a recent one with the E-M5: http://360vr.nl/Gent/

          Karel

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik" <tived@...> wrote:

          > hi guys,
          >
          > i recently injured my back at work, and it isn't looking too good.
          >
          > i have uptill now been using Canon 1-series and L-lenses for my
          > photography, but its now too heavy if i want to persuit photography
          > and in particular pano's
          >

          > What are you guys using, whats working really well, i have been
          > wanting to get a robotic head, i have been shooting HDR panos so far.
          > And is there something like the promote that works with the mirrorless
          > system.
          >
          > Sorry if this has been covered before
          >
          > thanks
          >
          > Henrik

        • Thomas
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 2, 2012
            The Samyang 7.5mm is the lightest high quality fisheye. As Karel's pictures show, it is a very sharp and clean lens, suitable for professional panography. With a good micro 4/3 camera you could not get a lighter rig.
            I myself use the Samyang 7.5 on a Sony NEX-5n, which is a tad heavier but has a bigger APS-C sensor and superb image quality. Here is a set of panos shot with that combination (handheld short pole, 4 around + nadir): http://tksharpless.net/FlashPanos/PAFASnaps.html
            The NEX cameras have no wired remote but the -5N model can be modified fairly easily. Here's how I 'hotwired' mine so I can use it on a pole with a normal radio remote http://tksharpless.net/gear/NEX-5N/hotwire.jpg.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "karelgil" <karel@...> wrote:

            > For my 'lightweight' pano's I started with an Olympus E-P1 + Samyang 7.5 mm FE. And I did like that combo so much that I recently swapped the E-P1 for an E-M5 for some better IQ and more pixels.
            >
            > As a matter of fact I use this setup for 90% of my pano's now.
            >
            > Here is an example of the E-P1+Samyang : http://360vr.nl/WMSin/
            > (shot in the autumn with a low sun)
            >
            > And here a recent one with the E-M5: http://360vr.nl/Gent/
            >
            > Karel
            >
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik" <tived@> wrote:
            > >

            > > hi guys,
            > >
            > > i recently injured my back at work, and it isn't looking too good.
            > >
            > > i have uptill now been using Canon 1-series and L-lenses for my
            > > photography, but its now too heavy if i want to persuit photography
            > > and in particular pano's
            > >

            > > What are you guys using, whats working really well, i have been
            > > wanting to get a robotic head, i have been shooting HDR panos so far.
            > > And is there something like the promote that works with the mirrorless
            > > system.
            > >
            > > Sorry if this has been covered before
            > >
            > > thanks
            > >
            > > Henrik

          • Henrik
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 3, 2012

              Thanks very much, very good looking pano's both of them.

              I do more mosaic;s and HDR.... do you do any of this and do you use anything to go beyond the camera's ability to do bracketing, such as a Promote (i know this one is not compatible but similar products)

              thanks Henrik
              Henrik Tived

              [PanoToolsNG] Re: mirrorless for pano's?

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik" wrote:

              > hi guys,
              >
              > i recently injured my back at work, and it isn't looking too good.
              >
              > i have uptill now been using Canon 1-series and L-lenses for my
              > photography, but its now too heavy if i want to persuit photography
              > and in particular pano's
              >

              > What are you guys using, whats working really well, i have been
              > wanting to get a robotic head, i have been shooting HDR panos so far.
              > And is there something like the promote that works with the mirrorless
              > system.
              >
              > Sorry if this has been covered before
              >
              > thanks
              >
              > Henrik

              <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
              PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              @...>
            • Henrik
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 3, 2012

                Thanks Thomas & Karel,

                very impressive, and indeed a light kit. Thanks for sharing. Hmm decision... I am heartbroken just by the thought of giving my Canon Kit up ;-) but as its looking at the moment, carrying camera with multiple lenses isn't going to work at the moment. Unless I can do a very good recovery, but there the odds are against me, but I am trying to beat the odds

                thanks very much for your insight to both you and Karel

                Henrik Tived

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "karelgil" wrote:

                > For my 'lightweight' pano's I started with an Olympus E-P1 + Samyang 7.5 mm FE. And I did like that combo so much that I recently swapped the E-P1 for an E-M5 for some better IQ and more pixels.
                >
                > As a matter of fact I use this setup for 90% of my pano's now.
                >
                > Here is an example of the E-P1+Samyang : http://360vr.nl/WMSin/
                > (shot in the autumn with a low sun)
                >
                > And here a recent one with the E-M5: http://360vr.nl/Gent/
                >
                > Karel
                >
                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik" wrote:
                > >

                > > hi guys,
                > >
                > > i recently injured my back at work, and it isn't looking too good.
                > >
                > > i have uptill now been using Canon 1-series and L-lenses for my
                > > photography, but its now too heavy if i want to persuit photography
                > > and in particular pano's
                > >

                > > What are you guys using, whats working really well, i have been
                > > wanting to get a robotic head, i have been shooting HDR panos so far.
                > > And is there something like the promote that works with the mirrorless
                > > system.
                > >
                > > Sorry if this has been covered before
                > >
                > > thanks
                > >
                > > Henrik

                <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                @>@...>
              • karelgil
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 4, 2012
                  Thanks Henrik for the compliment.

                  As a matter of fact: the more i use the E-M5 the less need I feel to carry my heavy stuff with me.
                  It is a nice versatile and weatherproof little camera and there a some seriously good lenses for it (the new 75mm 1.8 from Oly, for instance)
                  It is also good in the higher ISO regions.

                  I only think you should buy the additional battery-grip with it, as it gives a more sturdy handling and (important for us) moves the tripod connection to the centre of the lens.

                • prague
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 5, 2012
                    how does the samyang 7.5mm compare to the panasonic 8mm for the gf2 and similar cameras?

                  • Trausti Hraunfjord

                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 6, 2012

                        Thanks Trausti, Lots of physio, excersices - walking... I am just hoping that I can keep shooting - thats what I enjoy

                        Henrik Tived

                        Re: [PanoToolsNG] mirrorless for pano's?