For Sale: Samyang 8mm/3.5 EOS mount

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2012
      Having finally got the native NEX version of Samyang's excellent 8mm fisheye, I'd like to sell the DSLR version I have been using. It is in very good condition, Rokinon brand. Asking $240 + shipping from Philadelphia. Proceeds will benefit the Canon 8-15 fund.

      For those who don't know it, the Samyang 8mm is a full-frame, as opposed to circular, fisheye for APS-C. It is a manual lens and is not suitable for full frame cameras. Due to its unique stereographic projection, it has a field of view like a 9.5mm conventional fisheye, about 155 x 122 degrees. The stereographic projection gives natural looking images with nicely balanced resolution across the field, and also makes this a very 'easy stitching' lens.

      This is an increasingly popular lens with spherical pano shooters, not just because it is amazingly cheap, but because it is a good lens regardless of price; sharp and with very clean color. Its only fault compared to much higher priced lenses is worse flare in direct sunlight. On an EOS 7D it gives 65 megapixel equis (11,400 x 5,700). I normally take 6 shots + nadir, or 8 hand-held, but 5+n is feasible from a tripod.