Astro Time-Lapse Rotary Intervalometer

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2012
      I've mentioned this Kickstart project a couple of times because it seems so attractive as a panorama rotator, and I've been in contact with the lead developer. He has answered all my questions and taken time to investigate issues I raised. Now he has asked me to join the beta developer team to troubleshoot the prototypes they are making now (production is scheduled for December). Unless there are non-disclosure conditions I'll share any information I think might interest the list.

      One that certainly might is that they are considering integrating support for the Sony NX line via remote control, i.e., control of camera settings from the iPhone/Android apps. It's a pity that there is no universal API for digital cameras!! I'd love to see this extended to the Pentax lineup but I'm not going to hold my breath.

      Roger W.

      Sent from my iPad
    • Thomas
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2012
        Most interesting, Roger. Thanks for posting.
        BTW I'm sure you mean "Samsung NX", not Sony, whose NEX line of mirrorless cameras are stubbornly closed to any kind of remote control. Whereas Samnsung is actively promoting remote control via wifi -- from a Samsung smartphone of course.
        -- Tom

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

        > I've mentioned this Kickstart project a couple of times because it seems so attractive as a panorama rotator, and I've been in contact with the lead developer. He has answered all my questions and taken time to investigate issues I raised. Now he has asked me to join the beta developer team to troubleshoot the prototypes they are making now (production is scheduled for December). Unless there are non-disclosure conditions I'll share any information I think might interest the list.
        >
        > One that certainly might is that they are considering integrating support for the Sony NX line via remote control, i.e., control of camera settings from the iPhone/Android apps. It's a pity that there is no universal API for digital cameras!! I'd love to see this extended to the Pentax lineup but I'm not going to hold my breath.
        >
        > Roger W.
        >
        > Sent from my iPad

      • Roger D Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2012
          Well I MAY have meant that, but I merely repeated what Oscar, the developer, wrote. I'll check whether he meant Samsung NX or Sony NEX but he did write Sony NX. I thought that might be a mistake for NEX: it didn't occur to me that it might be a mistake for Samsung.

          Live and learn.

          Roger W.

          Sent from my iPad

          On Aug 2, 2012, at 12:02 PM, "Thomas" <TKSharpless@...> wrote:

          > Most interesting, Roger. Thanks for posting.
          > BTW I'm sure you mean "Samsung NX", not Sony, whose NEX line of mirrorless cameras are stubbornly closed to any kind of remote control. Whereas Samnsung is actively promoting remote control via wifi -- from a Samsung smartphone of course.
          > -- Tom
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I've mentioned this Kickstart project a couple of times because it seems so attractive as a panorama rotator, and I've been in contact with the lead developer. He has answered all my questions and taken time to investigate issues I raised. Now he has asked me to join the beta developer team to troubleshoot the prototypes they are making now (production is scheduled for December). Unless there are non-disclosure conditions I'll share any information I think might interest the list.
          >>
          >> One that certainly might is that they are considering integrating support for the Sony NX line via remote control, i.e., control of camera settings from the iPhone/Android apps. It's a pity that there is no universal API for digital cameras!! I'd love to see this extended to the Pentax lineup but I'm not going to hold my breath.
          >>
          >> Roger W.
          >>
          >> Sent from my iPad

        • Roger D Williams
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2012
            That figure IS given somewhere, I remember seeing it. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was, only that it was fast, of the order of a second or so? That, and the fact it's rated to carry 5kg, encourage me to believe it will work for panoramas. It can be programmed to stop for each shutter release or to keep rotating...

            It won't do many rotations per set of batteries, though. I think it was eight to ten or so.

            Sent from my iPad

            On Aug 3, 2012, at 5:35 AM, "g8dhe" <yahoo@...> wrote:

            > Roger, Do you know how fast it can turn ?
            > I've watched the video, read the comments but nowhere does it say how quickly it can rotate ?
            > He mentions a Panorama mode, but doesn't explain it ?

          • g8dhe
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2012
              Hi Roger, Yes I found it seconds after making the post of course! It's 30°/Second, so yes quite fast! The other factor that might be of significance to us is how well it can support an off-centre load, as in a Pano head where the weight distribution is all to one side. I note however that they propose to use it as a an elevation motor as well, so that might indicate that it can support such loads.
            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2012
                On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 05:21:03 +0900, g8dhe <yahoo@...> wrote:

                > Hi Roger, Yes I found it seconds after making the post of course! It's
                > 30°/Second, so yes quite fast! The other factor that might be of
                > significance to us is how well it can support an off-centre load, as in
                > a Pano head where the weight distribution is all to one side. I note
                > however that they propose to use it as a an elevation motor as well, so
                > that might indicate that it can support such loads.

                Yes, that was my reaction on hearing they intended to approve it for
                vertical panoramas, not just horizontal. We shall see.

                30 degrees per second is still 12 seconds for a complete rotation, which
                is slow enough to indicate quite a high degree of gearing and, of course,
                correspondingly high torque.

                The flat, squat design should mean that if it is seated securely on a
                rigid tripod it shouldn't waggle under an off-centre load.

                For years my ideal was a circular image fisheye used on a monopod to
                take four around with neither zenith nor nadir. But since I started
                using the Pentax 10-15 zoom and need to take more shots and clearly
                need both zenith and nadir, I have discovered just how good the Nodal
                Ninja III is, and have REdiscovered full multi-exposure bracketing
                for true HDR. This rotary intervalometer is going to make it all
                much more automatic, if I can get it to work well with my Pentax
                gear now I've decided to use nothing else.

                Roger W.

                --
                Business: www.adex-japan.com
                Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger