Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Anti-atomic cabinet for camera.

  • Henrik
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 27, 2012
      The rotation of the crane, depends on the model of cranes, the really tall ones, only rotates from the very top
      Henrik Tived

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 28, 2012
        Thankyou Romuald!
        That is interesting too.
        I think I could find one of those IP66 electric boxes and fit them with an underwater fisheye dome. A Canon D650 with Sigma 8 or 4.5mm, external power, backup batteries, silicagel.

        Then, timelapse activation:

        Magiclantern firmware and eyefi card.
        Timelapse remote (with same battery source) and eyefi card
        Or pack the thing with a small eeebox style computer, remotely controlled from home and binned to the camera with dslr remote pro (independent eyefi card just to backup).
        In this case overheating could be an issue...

        You are true, masking could help ptgui to stabilize the whole thing. I could ask for fixed references to be put in the working area where they are not shaking or their sight covered by the progress of the building.

        2012/7/27 hdrv <vromuald@...>

        Lucas,

        you're welcome !

        To make long, my first attempt from a crane was something around 8 hours, 500 images. Some wobbling but IStabilize made a good work.
        Anyway I decided to make the 12 days assignment from ground ; a dedicated 8 meters container have been specifically installed and the camera comfortably protected. The mov was ok. After that, on the same building site I decided to make the tlpse you saw, the crane is a very good point of view for this scene.
        I tried a lot of different parameters in Istabilizer but failed to make something good with the images. I even tried to remap the images from fe to rectilinear before stabilizing.
        Of course I also tried to use ptgui but find it is a pain to deal with misplaced control points on moving trucks, moving shadow, people, other cranes etc... But may be, it could work with a mask if you have a large background around the scene.
        Note that I have zero skill and zero software to edit movies. The mov is made with graphic converter.

        10 years ago I was in touch with this company for other small stuff :

        Romuald

        Le 27 juil. 12 à 17:39, luca vascon a écrit :

        Romuald, thankyou!!!!
        :-O
        You are providing me really valuable informations.
        This would be a 18month project...
        :-D
        Did you trry to stabilize the whole thing with ptgui?

        2012/7/27 hdrv <vromuald@...>

        Hi Lucas,

        Trying to make a timelapse from a crane is not realistic.
        Speaking from first hand experience :

        It is a 12 days+nights sequence. Short enough for a light cabinet which can be seen in bottom of this page :

        Even with a good stabilizing software, cranes are definitely too flexible.
        At our own risk. Sorry not to answer to your original question.

        Romuald

        :-)
        --
        Luca Vascon.

        Luca Vascon.

        Luca Vascon.

      • karelgil
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 28, 2012
          I happen to know that Roelof de Vries of littleplanet.nl does timelapses in harsh conditions.
          You might want to contact him and ask what shield he uses for his setups.
          Contact details are on his website http://littleplanet.nl

          Examples of his work are on his website and on his Vimeo channel: http://vimeo.com/roelofdevries/videos

          Karel