Re: Anti-atomic cabinet for camera.

  • jrgen_schrader
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 27, 2012
      I think that besides shake the biggest problem with cranes is that they always will be turning in arbitrary directions. No way to solve this, not even with PTgui ;-)

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, hdrv <vromuald@...> wrote:

      > Hi Lucas,
      >
      > Trying to make a timelapse from a crane is not realistic.
      > Speaking from first hand experience :
      >
      > http://www.photoslareunion.com/TmLps/TermCer/TCfull2.html
      > It is a 12 days+nights sequence. Short enough for a light cabinet
      > which can be seen in bottom of this page :
      > http://www.photoslareunion.com/TmLps/TermCer/SeqInstall.html
      >
      > Even with a good stabilizing software, cranes are definitely too
      > flexible.
      > At our own risk. Sorry not to answer to your original question.
      >
      > Romuald
      >

      > Le 27 juil. 12 à 14:58, luca vascon a écrit :
      >

      > > :-)
      > > Well, nothing really nuclear
      > > Hi to everyone!I was asked for a complex timelapse in a working
      > > area.I plan to put a proper reflex camera in a tower crane.
      > > Now I'm struggling for infos on how to defend the camera itself from
      > > weather. OK, a diving shell (or how it is in english) could fit.
      > > Maybe with some way to take out USB and power cords.
      > > But how to defend it from freezing? And from summer heating?!
      > > Anyone knows about a "commercial" solution?
      > > Or something like DIY?
      > > Thanx!
      > > Luca.
      > > --
      > > Luca Vascon.
      > > --
      > > www.lucavascon.net
      > > www.officinepanottiche.com
      > > www.nuovostudio.it

    • Yazan Sboul
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 27, 2012
        could use a one-shot lens if the quality is not a huge problem. Am I right in thinking there is a 2-shot option which will give a significant improvement in quality? If so I bet ptgui could handle it, and the shake within the timelapse in the examples below looks acceptable to me.

        To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
        From: panorama@...
        Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 14:15:30 +0000
        Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Anti-atomic cabinet for camera.

        I think that besides shake the biggest problem with cranes is that they always will be turning in arbitrary directions. No way to solve this, not even with PTgui ;-)

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, hdrv <vromuald@...> wrote:

        > Hi Lucas,
        >
        > Trying to make a timelapse from a crane is not realistic.
        > Speaking from first hand experience :
        >
        > http://www.photoslareunion.com/TmLps/TermCer/TCfull2.html
        > It is a 12 days+nights sequence. Short enough for a light cabinet
        > which can be seen in bottom of this page :
        > http://www.photoslareunion.com/TmLps/TermCer/SeqInstall.html
        >
        > Even with a good stabilizing software, cranes are definitely too
        > flexible.
        > At our own risk. Sorry not to answer to your original question.
        >
        > Romuald
        >

        > Le 27 juil. 12 à 14:58, luca vascon a écrit :
        >

        > > :-)
        > > Well, nothing really nuclear
        > > Hi to everyone!I was asked for a complex timelapse in a working
        > > area.I plan to put a proper reflex camera in a tower crane.
        > > Now I'm struggling for infos on how to defend the camera itself from
        > > weather. OK, a diving shell (or how it is in english) could fit.
        > > Maybe with some way to take out USB and power cords.
        > > But how to defend it from freezing? And from summer heating?!
        > > Anyone knows about a "commercial" solution?
        > > Or something like DIY?
        > > Thanx!
        > > Luca.
        > > --
        > > Luca Vascon.
        > > --
        > > www.lucavascon.net
        > > www.officinepanottiche.com
        > > www.nuovostudio.it

      • luca vascon
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 27, 2012
          no, it will be one fisheye looking down, held to the fixed part of the crane.
          :-)

          2012/7/27 jrgen_schrader <panorama@...>
          I think that besides shake the biggest problem with cranes is that they always will be turning in arbitrary directions. No way to solve this, not even with PTgui ;-)

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, hdrv <vromuald@...> wrote:

          > Hi Lucas,
          >
          > Trying to make a timelapse from a crane is not realistic.
          > Speaking from first hand experience :
          >
          > http://www.photoslareunion.com/TmLps/TermCer/TCfull2.html
          > It is a 12 days+nights sequence. Short enough for a light cabinet
          > which can be seen in bottom of this page :
          > http://www.photoslareunion.com/TmLps/TermCer/SeqInstall.html
          >
          > Even with a good stabilizing software, cranes are definitely too
          > flexible.
          > At our own risk. Sorry not to answer to your original question.
          >
          > Romuald
          >

          > Le 27 juil. 12 à 14:58, luca vascon a écrit :
          >

          > > :-)
          > > Well, nothing really nuclear
          > > Hi to everyone!I was asked for a complex timelapse in a working
          > > area.I plan to put a proper reflex camera in a tower crane.
          > > Now I'm struggling for infos on how to defend the camera itself from
          > > weather. OK,  a diving shell (or how it is in english) could fit.
          > > Maybe with some way to take out USB and power cords.
          > > But how to defend it from freezing? And from summer heating?!
          > > Anyone knows about a "commercial" solution?
          > > Or something like DIY?
          > > Thanx!
          > > Luca.
          > > --
          > > Luca Vascon.
          > > --
          > > www.lucavascon.net
          > > www.officinepanottiche.com
          > > www.nuovostudio.it

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Luca Vascon.

        • hdrv
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 27, 2012
            Lucas,

            you're welcome !

            To make long, my first attempt from a crane was something around 8 hours, 500 images. Some wobbling but IStabilize made a good work.
            Anyway I decided to make the 12 days assignment from ground ; a dedicated 8 meters container have been specifically installed and the camera comfortably protected. The mov was ok. After that, on the same building site I decided to make the tlpse you saw, the crane is a very good point of view for this scene.
            I tried a lot of different parameters in Istabilizer but failed to make something good with the images. I even tried to remap the images from fe to rectilinear before stabilizing.
            Of course I also tried to use ptgui but find it is a pain to deal with misplaced control points on moving trucks, moving shadow, people, other cranes etc... But may be, it could work with a mask if you have a large background around the scene.
            Note that I have zero skill and zero software to edit movies. The mov is made with graphic converter.

            10 years ago I was in touch with this company for other small stuff :

            Romuald

            Le 27 juil. 12 à 17:39, luca vascon a écrit :

            Romuald, thankyou!!!!
            :-O
            You are providing me really valuable informations.
            This would be a 18month project...
            :-D
            Did you trry to stabilize the whole thing with ptgui?

            2012/7/27 hdrv <vromuald@...>

[...]

          • Henrik
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 27, 2012
              The rotation of the crane, depends on the model of cranes, the really tall ones, only rotates from the very top
              Henrik Tived

              [PanoToolsNG] Re: Anti-atomic cabinet for camera.

              PanoToolsNG-fullfeatured@yahoogroupscom

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 28, 2012
                Thankyou Romuald!
                That is interesting too.
                I think I could find one of those IP66 electric boxes and fit them with an underwater fisheye dome. A Canon D650 with Sigma 8 or 4.5mm, external power, backup batteries, silicagel.

                Then, timelapse activation:

                Magiclantern firmware and eyefi card.
                Timelapse remote (with same battery source) and eyefi card
                Or pack the thing with a small eeebox style computer, remotely controlled from home and binned to the camera with dslr remote pro (independent eyefi card just to backup).
                In this case overheating could be an issue...

                You are true, masking could help ptgui to stabilize the whole thing. I could ask for fixed references to be put in the working area where they are not shaking or their sight covered by the progress of the building.

                2012/7/27 hdrv <vromuald@...>

[...]

              • karelgil
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 28, 2012
                  I happen to know that Roelof de Vries of littleplanet.nl does timelapses in harsh conditions.
                  You might want to contact him and ask what shield he uses for his setups.
                  Contact details are on his website http://littleplanet.nl

                  Examples of his work are on his website and on his Vimeo channel: http://vimeo.com/roelofdevries/videos

                  Karel