SNS-HDR, yet again!

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 25, 2012
      At the risk of boring those who are not interested in yet another HDR
      program, or who have tried SNS-HDR and are less than blown away by
      it, I must say it continues to exceed my expectations.

      I have been using it successfully to bring to life shots that resisted all
      my best efforts in DXO and/or PS CS5/ACR. They are free of all
      visible artifacts, and were easy to make look quite "natural"  by which I
      mean free of what I call the "HDR Look" (which you may have guessed
      I don't care for). It has been a real pleasure to be able to render shots
      from our recent trip to Scotland, making them look like we remember
      the scenery and not pale imitations of it. The way it renders pale grey
      skies with scudding clouds is remarkable. Which is a good thing
      because we saw a LOT of those. We did catch the Scottish summer,
      though. It was on a Wednesday, if I remember right.

      It also seems to be extremely good at aligning multiple exposures
      where there may have been some slight movement of the camera
      between shots. That's hard to avoid unless you have a far more rigid
      tripod than I do...

      The GUI is really one of the best I have encountered for any graphic
      program, and gives complete control, making it easy to see just what
      effects each control has and how to optimise their joint effect.

      Incidentally, as Erik has noted, those who think of it as yet another
      "Enfuse" variant do it an injustice. There seems to be something quite
      original going on... at least in my limited experience.

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012

        Roger,

        I second your opinion! I did some testing with SNS-HDR last week and ended up buying a license over the weekend. The ease of use, intuitive workflow, control over the process, and the fact that it recognizes the 180 degree boundary make it a winner. (Are you listening NIK HDREffex?)

        I did find that it would stop working if I threw big VR images at it, 10128x5064, but the Lightroom plug-in handles these file sizes just fine. I'm not sure why the plug-in works when the standalone doesn't since the plug-in just calls the standalone from what I can see. I'll do more testing and see if I can figure it out.

        Highly recommended!

        Mark

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012

          Am I doing something wrong or do you just have to deal with the zenith getting destroyed with SNS?

          Best Regards,

          Sacha Griffin

          http://www.seeit360.com

          http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

          http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

          IM: sachagriffin007@...

          Office: 404-551-4275

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012
            You tease us. Show us some Scotland panos...

            On 7/25/2012 11:51 PM, Roger D. Williams wrote:
            > At the risk of boring those who are not interested in yet another HDR
            > program, or who have tried SNS-HDR and are less than blown away by
            > it, I must say it continues to exceed my expectations.
            >
            > I have been using it successfully to bring to life shots that resisted all
            > my best efforts in DXO and/or PS CS5/ACR. They are free of all
            > visible artifacts, and were easy to make look quite "natural" by which I
            > mean free of what I call the "HDR Look" (which you may have guessed
            > I don't care for). It has been a real pleasure to be able to render shots
            > from our recent trip to Scotland, making them look like we remember
            > the scenery and not pale imitations of it. The way it renders pale grey
            > skies with scudding clouds is remarkable. Which is a good thing
            > because we saw a LOT of those. We did catch the Scottish summer,
            > though. It was on a Wednesday, if I remember right.
            >
            > It also seems to be extremely good at aligning multiple exposures
            > where there may have been some slight movement of the camera
            > between shots. That's hard to avoid unless you have a far more rigid
            > tripod than I do...
            >
            > The GUI is really one of the best I have encountered for any graphic
            > program, and gives complete control, making it easy to see just what
            > effects each control has and how to optimise their joint effect.
            >
            > Incidentally, as Erik has noted, those who think of it as yet another
            > "Enfuse" variant do it an injustice. There seems to be something quite
            > original going on... at least in my limited experience.
            >
            > Roger W.
            >
            > --
            > Business: www.adex-japan.com
            > Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
            > Panoramas: Rogerama on photosynth.net
          • Bjørn K Nilssen
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012
              På Thu, 26 Jul 2012 16:42:29 +0200, skrev Sacha Griffin
              <sachagriffin@...>:

              > Am I doing something wrong or do you just have to deal with the zenith
              > getting destroyed with SNS?

              Is it only the zenith? And not the nadir?

            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012
                Yes.
                SNS has a checkbox for 360 panoramas, but it only fixes the 180 boundary and
                leaves a largish dark vortex at the zenith.

                Photomatixs tone compressor method looks functionally identical but doesn't
                fail on the zenith.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012

                  I haven't seen any issues with zenith or nadir at all. My first published VR using SNS-HDR is the current entry for the WWP, but that isn't up yet. It should be soon. As soon as it is, I'll send along a link, or just keep checking here for my Heritage entry:

                  http://worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwppeople/html/MarkFink.html

                  Mark

                  Am I doing something wrong or do you just have to deal with the zenith getting destroyed with SNS?

                  Best Regards,

                  Sacha Griffin

                  Southern Digital Solutions LLC  - Atlanta , Georgia

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012

                    This is what I get with all settings default or set to 0.

                    http://www.seeit360.com/snsvsphotomatix.jpg

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012
                      Am 26.07.2012 18:51, schrieb Sacha Griffin:
                      > This is what I get with all settings default or set to 0.
                      >
                      > http://www.seeit360.com/snsvsphotomatix.jpg

                      Ok, another drawback... I tested only merging source images not entire
                      panoramas. And I prefer it over photomatix because there is a command
                      line version (which can be used inside PTGui to batch align and merge
                      images. I outlined the details in the PTGui group:
                      https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ptgui/JBgX2lvNLxI/9MSH0NfOMWgJ

                      I'll soon write a detailed tutorial about that on the wiki...
                    • Christian Bloch
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012
                        To Roger:

                        I hope you didn't mean me with the "Just another Enfuse" comment. I love SNS, and agree about everything you said. It's doing way more sophisticated things than Enfuse.

                        Photomatix Tone Compressor does not really compare. It's a global tonemapper, and that means it doesn't even do anything that could possibly destroy panoramic continuity. It is in fact the same algorithm as Picturenaut's Adaptive Logarithmic (which runs faster).

                        Blochi

                        On Jul 26, 2012, at 9:05 AM, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                        Photomatixs tone compressor method looks functionally identical but doesn't
                        fail on the zenith.

                      • Roger D Williams
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012
                          Dear Blochi:

                          Certainly not... You didn't say that and I wasn't trying to point at you. But I have read in more than one place that it is not doing "real" HDR but "only" an Enfuse-like operation. Personally I don't agree with that distinction, but that's a rather different issue.

                          Roger W.

                          Sent from my iPad