Optimal cube face size for fast load.

  • needakeeper
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 24 5:26 PM
      I have searched this list, the FFC and Garden Gnome forums, and Google for some direction on this. I read a lot of varying opinions.

      My client is concerned with load time. I want the best possible quality with at the fastest possible load time. Where is the happy place on this? I like the way the panorama looks with cube sizes 2500x2500 at jpg quality 100% :) but I am worried this will be too large.

      I tested cube sizes at 2500, 2000, 1800, 1700, and 1500 and also at various jpg qualities.

      Is there a general rule of thumb on this?

      -Stephani
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 24 7:27 PM

        Back when I used FFP, I liked 2048 with a primary resolution of 210 I think. So everything loaded super quick first and then the second level of resolution loaded.

        This would give you something fairly crisp when zoomed out on a 24 inch monitor.

        Best Regards,

        Sacha Griffin

        http://www.seeit360.com

        http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

        http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

        IM: sachagriffin007@...

        Office: 404-551-4275

      • virtualpointphotos@mac.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 24 8:01 PM
          Sacha, thank you for the information. Forgive me for my ignorance, is the primary resolution specific to FPP?

          I am using Flashificator to build the actual tour. I haven't seen anything that pertains to primary and secondary resolution yet, but I am still very early in the process.

          I am using Ptgui to convert the equirect to 6 cube faces. When I make the cube faces 2048 x 2048, what jpg compression should I use?

          Thank you again for your help-Stephani

          From: Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...>
          Sender: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 22:27:08 -0400
          To: <PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 24 8:41 PM

            You as much jpg compression as you can stand. Some feel that banding in the sky is acceptable. For me it is not. I usually don’t go any lower than photoshop 6.

            In fpp you load the initial small tiles and then onstart load the full resolution ones.. Kinda like a hack job in trying to simulate krpano.

            If you want to look at the code. Here’s a very very old tour where this is implemented.

            http://www.seeit360.com/piedmont/

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 24 8:53 PM
              Thank you for the information!

              Since you don't use FPP anymore, what do you use now?

              -Stephani
            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 24 9:02 PM

                KRPano.

                It was a big learning curve for sure. But it does 20x more, and functions nearly identically on iOS and will soon support webgl/ and all that jazz.

                It’s constantly being updated and the developer answers support questions and fixes bugs we find.

                Just take a gander at the forums to see all the activity. Or check my own website to get a preview of what’s possible.

                For what it’s worth, pano2vr also seems to be updated regularly with new tech.  But I don’t know anything about it other than knowing that it seems it also has some synergy.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 25 2:19 AM
                  Stephani,

                  What matters is not total load time,

                  but that SOMETHING loads RIGHT AWAY.

                  too many times I open someone's pano, and there is a loading bar, and I have to wait a few seconds. sometimes I close the page because I don't really like staring at progress bars.

                  Best is to use "piecewise loading" in krpano.

                  with this, SOMETHING loads right away. not some low-res preview, but actual image.

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "needakeeper" <virtualpointphotos@...> wrote:

                  > I have searched this list, the FFC and Garden Gnome forums, and Google for some direction on this. I read a lot of varying opinions.
                  >
                  > My client is concerned with load time. I want the best possible quality with at the fastest possible load time. Where is the happy place on this? I like the way the panorama looks with cube sizes 2500x2500 at jpg quality 100% :) but I am worried this will be too large.
                  >
                  > I tested cube sizes at 2500, 2000, 1800, 1700, and 1500 and also at various jpg qualities.
                  >
                  > Is there a general rule of thumb on this?
                  >
                  > -Stephani

                • Kathy Wheeler
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 25 3:59 AM
                    On 07/25/2012, at 7:19 PM, prague wrote:
                    > What matters is not total load time,
                    >
                    > but that SOMETHING loads RIGHT AWAY.
                    >
                    > too many times I open someone's pano, and there is a loading bar, and I have to wait a few seconds. sometimes I close the page because I don't really like staring at progress bars.

                    I have to agree.

                    Too many times I've gone to a site, especially flash driven ones, that don't even give progress bars!! Just a blank background screen. After a very short while I just go away, as I don't even know if the page is actually working or not.

                    Even *if* it's just progress bars, if it's something I *really* want to see, I'll probably stay (or rather come back to that tab a few minutes later). Giving me something extra to see, distracts from the loading time, making it not seem as bad, usually.

                    KathyW.
                  • needakeeper
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 25 9:18 AM
                      Thanks, all!